BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honda NC750X up for sale.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, currently commute all year around on an NC750X. Have commuted most of my working life on a motorbike or pedal bike. Due changes in life im cummuting less on the bike. Cycling has ended due to years of abusing my body. Now the Mrs has big motorbike ( HD Superlow 1200T). Decided i want bike more for weekends and Touring. Will still be using the bike for commuting when i feel like it.

Reason for wanting R1200R
Many years ago on a ferry (returning from Nurbergring) BMW R850R pulled along side me. Thought wow thats a nice bike. Will get one of them one day lol. For many reasons it never happened. Even had test ride on R1150R thought great thats just what i want. Yet again didnt happen lol This time its going to be. My budget going to be around £7500+

ESA worth the extra cost?
2017 on Gearbox better or the same has earlier models?

Thanks mark

·
Registered
436 Posts
Welcome M8B! Yes, 2017 got a quieter gearbox, but nothing wrong with earlier.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
407 Posts
I haven't ridden each year, but I would say my 2020's gearbox with wet clutch is substantially less agricultural than any 2006 or older BMW I've ridden. Not as good as the best Jap gearboxes I've ridden, but way better than the lesser ones.

I will point out that I found the agricultural nature of old boxers "charming", but I'm weird.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
85 Posts
Welcome from across the pond. Cant help with the the gearbox question. I have only drivin 2016 + BMW 's. Will definitely agree Kawasaki seems to shift better. Beemer is all around better. Be safe.

Reactions: M8B

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,105 Posts
I have a 2015 LC and find the gearbox fine and shifting is slick. The only agricultural thing about it is the clunk into first when the engine is warm – but I avoid that by starting the engine with 1st engaged, and not shifting into neutral when stationary (good riding practice anyway – ready to dart away from impending danger). With the judder damper of the MY17 models (delivered on or after August 2016) this clunk may be reduced but I have never compared them myself.

On this forum, only one member has reported a gearbox problem with a pre-MY17 model, so it would seem a-typical.

The value of ESA is subjective. I like it for its ability to readily change pre-load (rear) and damper settings, the latter on the fly (also makes a small change to rear pre-load). Moving from a bike with less sophisticated suspension, it seemed I could also feel the damping adjustments being continually made by the suspension as it encountered bumps. The front end seemed to react in a more controlled way, and the rear seemed to anticipate the bump. So for me it was worth it (in Australia it was also aligned with the trim level I wanted too).

Reactions: M8B

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,703 Posts
Welcome to the forum M8B (y) Where are you?
I have a 2017 and find the gearbox fine, not quite as slick as my Suzuki but much better than the dry clutch beemers. As for ESA, if you tend to ride with a pillion one day and not the next and with luggage one day and without the next it's useful to have, if you like to take gentle ride out it road setting but fancy a blast on the way back put it in dynamic then it is useful as it's just a switch to change things around. But if you riding is generally the same most of the time It's probably not worth the extra expense and hassle if goes wrong.
Another thing to bear in mind is that beemers tend to sell better with more toys, a basic R with nothing will not fetch much at all.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Even had test ride on R1150R thought great thats just what i want.
Have you tried one of the later models? I had a shot of R1100S years ago. I was nice, with a big lump of low down torque but not much else. The R1250R in comparison is a quick bike.

Another thing to bear in mind is that beemers tend to sell better with more toys, a basic R with nothing will not fetch much at all.
That’s what the dealers want you to believe mjgt. The new bikes in the showrooms have every conceivable extra thrown at them, but then people, like me, who order one do so because they don’t want to pay for extras we ain’t interested in.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
407 Posts
Have you tried one of the later models? I had a shot of R1100S years ago. I was nice, with a big lump of low down torque but not much else. The R1250R in comparison is a quick bike.
My experience with older BMWs, as much as I like them indicates my R1250R will leave them all for dead, straight lines, or cornering. The 1250 is a properly fast bike, heavier, and off the track pace of a Japanese or Italian RR (or S1000RR) but on public roads, it is full on stupid fast if you want it to be.

That’s what the dealers want you to believe mjgt. The new bikes in the showrooms have every conceivable extra thrown at them, but then people, like me, who order one do so because they don’t want to pay for extras we ain’t interested in.
[/QUOTE]

My experience with not just BMWs is, it's only valuable if you're buying it. Regardless of options, colors, demand or scarcity, if you're selling or trading in it's pretty near worthless and they are doing you a favor taking it in. Buy what you want, use up as much of it as you can, and worry less.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
My experience with older BMWs, as much as I like them indicates my R1250R will leave them all for dead, straight lines, or cornering. The 1250 is a properly fast bike, heavier, and off the track pace of a Japanese or Italian RR (or S1000RR) but on public roads, it is full on stupid fast if you want it to be.
It is as quick as I’ll ever need. The super nakeds are even quicker. I’m not convinced it is just me getting old (in my early 50’s) but having tried one super naked – well it was just cuckoo. I think a lot of them are sold for the pose value.

I see Triumph are launching their new Speed Triple, 1200cc and 175bhp and weighs less than 200kg. I wouldn’t mind a shot, but I can’t help thinking the Street Triple will be way more day to day fun.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
407 Posts
It is as quick as I’ll ever need. The super nakeds are even quicker. I’m not convinced it is just me getting old (in my early 50’s) but having tried one super naked – well it was just cuckoo. I think a lot of them are sold for the pose value.

I see Triumph are launching their new Speed Triple, 1200cc and 175bhp and weighs less than 200kg. I wouldn’t mind a shot, but I can’t help thinking the Street Triple will be way more day to day fun.
As a young man I got to ride the fastest motorcycle ever made, the then mighty ZX1100, all hail King Zed! It blew my socks off, triple digits in second gear, I only realized I was carrying the front wheel when I rolled off the throttle. I looked up the specs, it was slightly heavier than my R, made like 14 more HP (at nearly 11K RPM if I remember) and like 25 less torques. That bike scared magazine editors, somehow I can't accept the idea my R's performance is yawn inducing.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
That bike scared magazine editors, somehow I can't accept the idea my R's performance is yawn inducing.
Certainly not saying that. I preferred it (R1250R) to the two more powerful and quicker bikes I tested before ordering one. The R1250R is seriously quick, I think that huge delivery of low-down torque makes it so easy to make swift progress. It has a certain character as well. It is friendly and confidence inspiring – as opposed to scary.

I have to also say that my expectations were fairly low when I took the test bike out.

And I figure always, if at all possible, try before you buy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome M8B. I still can't believe the speed this bike gets up to on normal overtakes. It's only when I look at the App to check the route I followed and I say to myself "no way was I doing that speed when I went past that HGV!". That is why I think this is the safest bike I have had, overtakes are completed with ease as the power is there at any speed and practically any gear.
PS Gareth, I am sure it was my bike you would have had your test ride on, if it was DP you were at?

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
I still can't believe the speed this bike gets up to on normal overtakes.
Yup it must be the king of low-down torque.

PS Gareth, I am sure it was my bike you would have had your test ride on, if it was DP you were at?
Hmm, ah well, I gave it a right good work out for you bud. ;)

It would have been a 19 plate. Sport model with every conceivable extra. I was trying to order a new one in July for September 2019 delivery, but they said it would be mid-October before I’d get my bike. They quoted me a price for the demo bike, but with all those extras it was still dearer than what I wanted to order new. So I walked off, and popped back in January 2020 to order one. It got delivered just days before the first lockdown.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,049 Posts
Welcome Mark. You've picked a good model to pursue and forum to peruse. I think the ESA is worth it, it's not essential but I like switching between modes for various conditions and can feel the difference. As others have said the 2017+ models have a slightly improved gearbox but that needn't be a hard differentiator for you. Do your research, find the one with the colors & options you like, give it a good test ride, and go forth worry-free and enjoy it. Sounds like you have a lot of seat time already so you will appreciate the R12R, you are in for a good time.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
would have been a 19 plate. Sport model with every conceivable extra.

Possibly not then, maybe they had two, sport and exclusive models as test bikes. I am sure many riders gave it a good thrash before I purchased it. I know I did. 😉

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
273 Posts
I preferred it (R1250R) to the two more powerful and quicker bikes I tested before ordering one..

I have to also say that my expectations were fairly low when I took the test bike out.
The test ride sold me on the ‘20 1250R as well, though I did take two others just, ahem, to be sure. Conversely, the testride on the ‘20 1250RS quickly convinced me it was not the bike for me, even though it was the bike I’d originally visited the BMW dealer to try.

Gareth, I’m curious which two super nakeds you tried...?

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Naw, in July 2019 they had the sport on a 19 plate demo. There was a fully loaded unregistered exclusive in the showroom, it had a good 4 grand of extras.

There was a 19 plate exclusive in the showroom when I popped up to sign documents for my black R1250R just before it was delivered (march 2020). It had next to no miles on it, and I commented on the odd plate and asked how it ended up in East Kilbride. They told me it they purchased it from Motorrad UK, I think it was one of their promo bikes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
As a young man I got to ride the fastest motorcycle ever made, the then mighty ZX1100, all hail King Zed! It blew my socks off, triple digits in second gear, I only realized I was carrying the front wheel when I rolled off the throttle. I looked up the specs, it was slightly heavier than my R, made like 14 more HP (at nearly 11K RPM if I remember) and like 25 less torques. That bike scared magazine editors, somehow I can't accept the idea my R's performance is yawn inducing.
Welcome M8B. I still can't believe the speed this bike gets up to on normal overtakes. It's only when I look at the App to check the route I followed and I say to myself "no way was I doing that speed when I went past that HGV!". That is why I think this is the safest bike I have had, overtakes are completed with ease as the power is there at any speed and practically any gear.
well you should
Certainly not saying that. I preferred it (R1250R) to the two more powerful and quicker bikes I tested before ordering one. The R1250R is seriously quick, I think that huge delivery of low-down torque makes it so easy to make swift progress. It has a certain character as well. It is friendly and confidence inspiring – as opposed to scary.

if you’re talking seriously quick you want the ‘big daddy ‘ s1000rr mines was 204 bhp and weighed196 kilos - 0- 116 in first gear before the limiter and it would accelerate from 150 mph as hard as most sports bikes can do at about 70 mph so you really had to hold on and concentrate on it or trouble came calling really quickly
AC313539-80AF-40AB-956C-983F7D02129A.jpeg
AC313539-80AF-40AB-956C-983F7D02129A.jpeg

·
Registered
247 Posts
well you should

if you’re talking seriously quick you want the ‘big daddy ‘ s1000rr mines was 204 bhp and weighed196 kilos - 0- 116 in first gear before the limiter and it would accelerate from 150 mph as hard as most sports bikes can do at about 70 mph so you really had to hold on and concentrate on it or trouble came calling really quickly View attachment 110136 View attachment 110136 oh and welcome to the forum mate lol View attachment 110136
Naw, in July 2019 they had the sport on a 19 plate demo. There was a fully loaded unregistered exclusive in the showroom, it had a good 4 grand of extras.

There was a 19 plate exclusive in the showroom when I popped up to sign documents for my black R1250R just before it was delivered (march 2020). It had next to no miles on it, and I commented on the odd plate and asked how it ended up in East Kilbride. They told me it they purchased it from Motorrad UK, I think it was one of their promo bikes.
I got my black storm r1250 from dp in Glasgow 😃😃🏍🏍👍

1 - 20 of 48 Posts