BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
71 Posts
I’ve been riding bikes on and off for 40 years now. I’ve owned this one since April of this year and now have over 6K miles of high mountain gorgeous NM riding.
It was a new leftover from the jacked up year of 2020 and I bought her after a 3 mile test ride. It is my first BMW and I couldn’t be happier with my purchase as I plan to now keep her as my life partner..
As you can see, Ive put a bit of effort into customizing her to my specific jockey sized needs including a 28 inch inseam, requiring an extra low seat for starters.
The stock bike was very lean at cold startup and idle with a slight hesitation just off throttle, noticeable at stoplights. It also had a small flat spot at about 4K rpm’s. I live at 7k feet and ride to over 10k. I like to solo sport tour twisties and love my Boxer powerband as I tend to play a bit when riding during the week, but it wasnt perfect yet..
First was the Booster Plug which fixed the cold issues and leanness off idle. I added the Akro slip on, the sound was a big improvement not to mention the looks and design too. Not loud, but throaty and pretty quiet or will get a little snarky if you get on it. The flat spot remained at 4K so the titanium headers were installed and did the trick. This thing runs close to a custom tuned machine now, the way it was meant to run!
The throttle response is damn near perfect, flat spot is gone, will break TC in 1st gear n roast ur tire if not careful. It’s an even more powerful machine and is faster to 120 mph than a lot of Supercars.
I was curious since I knew she was fast, so I took her to the local dragstrip for my first and last track day with bags full of tools and rain gear wearing Avon Trail tires. Best of 4 passes was 11.3 at 120mph.
I had too much wheelspin from the torque at launch despite using different techniques. With slicks and a better pilot, she would be a true 10 second bike that handles like a dream while eating up scenic miles and long days while still averaging 55 mpg.
Very happy with how the project turned out and is about as close to perfect for me as I can get. It is absolutely the Best all around motorcycle Ive ever ridden..IMHO
Btw, I dont care about warranty or emission issues or discussions. Dont like it, dont care, its mine! Any positive questions about the bike I will entertain.
Take care all, people are crazy out there, be safe.. View attachment 113550
View attachment 113549
Hi and PLEASE tell us more about the titanium headers!! I am glad to find someone with a 1250 that has successfully fitted them as this is the route I want to go but have been worried about some of the assumptions made about issues that will entail when fitting them. What manufacturer did you go for and do they: -
  • incorporate CAT / exhaust valve flap, or do they delete them
  • incorporate all three exhaust sensor plugs
  • does the ECU recognise the change and throw a warning light
  • apart from the booster plug, are you running a standard map or a dyno re-map assuming you have found someone that can do it??
Thanks and regards,

Pete.

I’ve been riding bikes on and off for 40 years now. I’ve owned this one since April of this year and now have over 6K miles of high mountain gorgeous NM riding.
It was a new leftover from the jacked up year of 2020 and I bought her after a 3 mile test ride. It is my first BMW and I couldn’t be happier with my purchase as I plan to now keep her as my life partner..
As you can see, Ive put a bit of effort into customizing her to my specific jockey sized needs including a 28 inch inseam, requiring an extra low seat for starters.
The stock bike was very lean at cold startup and idle with a slight hesitation just off throttle, noticeable at stoplights. It also had a small flat spot at about 4K rpm’s. I live at 7k feet and ride to over 10k. I like to solo sport tour twisties and love my Boxer powerband as I tend to play a bit when riding during the week, but it wasnt perfect yet..
First was the Booster Plug which fixed the cold issues and leanness off idle. I added the Akro slip on, the sound was a big improvement not to mention the looks and design too. Not loud, but throaty and pretty quiet or will get a little snarky if you get on it. The flat spot remained at 4K so the titanium headers were installed and did the trick. This thing runs close to a custom tuned machine now, the way it was meant to run!
The throttle response is damn near perfect, flat spot is gone, will break TC in 1st gear n roast ur tire if not careful. It’s an even more powerful machine and is faster to 120 mph than a lot of Supercars.
I was curious since I knew she was fast, so I took her to the local dragstrip for my first and last track day with bags full of tools and rain gear wearing Avon Trail tires. Best of 4 passes was 11.3 at 120mph.
I had too much wheelspin from the torque at launch despite using different techniques. With slicks and a better pilot, she would be a true 10 second bike that handles like a dream while eating up scenic miles and long days while still averaging 55 mpg.
Very happy with how the project turned out and is about as close to perfect for me as I can get. It is absolutely the Best all around motorcycle Ive ever ridden..IMHO
Btw, I dont care about warranty or emission issues or discussions. Dont like it, dont care, its mine! Any positive questions about the bike I will entertain.
Take care all, people are crazy out there, be safe.. View attachment 113550
View attachment 113549

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
71 Posts
Glad to be of help Pete. The titanium headers are also Akro and they incorporated all 3 sensors and the flap valve, but deleted the Cat. They also sell one complete with Cat also in places that require such.
The map is completely stock and running great, no codes, no errors, no problems. 😊
That is great news thank you, especially when Akrapovic's own website states 'When installing optional headers E-B12E4/1, remapping the ECU is recommended in order to prevent »check engine light« warning signal and achieve optimized performance and throttle response'

1 - 2 of 2 Posts