BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, sold a K1200S and bought a new R1200R 90th. Has all options, less chrome exhaust and bags. 200 km so far, and I'm in love. The K was an awsome bike, but 2 hrs in the saddle and I was done. Only thing I'm wondering at this point is why my dealer said not to use synthetic oil in the new boxer engines. I'll do a search later. I'm riding in BC Canada and will monitor the site. Cheers.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more on oil

Hello All, sold a K1200S and bought a new R1200R 90th. Has all options, less chrome exhaust and bags. 200 km so far, and I'm in love. The K was an awsome bike, but 2 hrs in the saddle and I was done. Only thing I'm wondering at this point is why my dealer said not to use synthetic oil in the new boxer engines. I'll do a search later. I'm riding in BC Canada and will monitor the site. Cheers.
I spoke with the tech at the dealership and he said that the boxer does burn some oil and that synthetic fouls the plugs where as the mineral oil does not. Has anyone heard this before? I will still use synthetic Mobil 1 V-twin 20-50 after running in. I used it in other twins and had no trouble.

·
Registered
25 Posts
General belief is that you run mineral oil until the bike has broken in...say around 10 to 12000 miles (so around 19000 KM's).

Darcy

I spoke with the tech at the dealership and he said that the boxer does burn some oil and that synthetic fouls the plugs where as the mineral oil does not. Has anyone heard this before? I will still use synthetic Mobil 1 V-twin 20-50 after running in. I used it in other twins and had no trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I doubt it's a plug fouling issue, otherwise that could happen anytime. Usually when they recommend that kind of break in, it's because conventional oil lets the valves break in and wear a little bit to seat themselves properly. Synthetic oil is so slippery that this won't happen.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I switched to synthetic at 6,000 miles, the minimum recommended distance for the hexhead. Was commuting daily in stop-and-go D.C. traffic, year-round. In hindsight, I should've waited until 12,000 miles to switch. At 15K, the bike still burns a good amount of oil.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
At 15K, the bike still burns a good amount of oil.
FWIW at this distance in time, my first new R - 1998 R1100 - also burned a lot of oil right up to 15,000km, even leaving the exhaust tip sooty and black. Then suddenly one day it ceased entirely! Someone told me that the (ceramic-coated?) bores had then fully bedded-in - and I never had to add any more oil between services. Current 013 R isn't using any oil that I can discern.

And again FWIW, I too have understood that synthetic oils should only be used after a decent break-in (run-in) period with OE mineral oil.

L of S

1 - 6 of 6 Posts