BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I used to own a 2005 BMW R1200RT. After a exhaust valve failure i decided to get a new bike.
Bought a 2013 BMW R1200R 90 years" special model.
Driven about 1000+ km so far and really like riding this bike. Engine is so much smoother than the 2005.

Negative:
Defective gas gauge. They tried a recalibration on 1000km service that did'nt work. Waiting on replacement part.
The dealers demo bike also have the same problem. So much for BMW quality checking.

The nice fork covercap fell off while driving yesterday. Grr...

Touratech got some nice stuff for it. I wonder what is the first thing everyone else buy for their bike.
Going to buy splash guard and sidestand extension.

Premium Member
Hi and welcome. Don't let the fuel gauge fault put you off an excellent bike, hopefully the dealer will fix it. The R1200R is an excellent blank canvas and can be modified in many ways. The first thing I added was the wiring loom for my heated jacket - I picked my bike up in November and it was cold.

Registered
Hi

I also just joined recently with a 90th edition R. I bought a Wunderlich seat bag and added a radar detector mount by replacing 1 handle bar clamp bolt with the BMW drilled and tapped bolt, where my mounting plate is screwed to. I'm due for the first service on Tues. I've had no issues at all.
Coming off a K1200S, which I sold about a month ago.

Registered
forgot to mention, also replaced big plastic license plate holder, which in canada has 2 big ugly reflectors that look like they came off a ccm bicycle. The evoluzione.net(now deceased) license plate relocator from my k-bike fit perfectly.

Registered
Thats the joy of it...everybody is different, thus ultimately making each of our R12's unique and personal works of art.

Premium Member
Thats the joy of it...everybody is different, thus ultimately making each of our R12's unique and personal works of art.
Crash bars for the testicular cylinders are a good investment. More lights and a big huge high decibel OMFG horn

Premium Member
If you are referring to the cap on the throttle side to the rear of the brake peddle, it didn't fall off. For some inexplicable reason, the bike comes that way. There are aftermarket caps available.

Registered
I've got Z-teknic crashbars and smoked sport windscreen. Looking into getting the wunderlich low seat as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If you are referring to the cap on the throttle side to the rear of the brake peddle, it didn't fall off. For some inexplicable reason, the bike comes that way. There are aftermarket caps available.
The cap marked with arrow fell off. Anyway a replacement is ordered from the dealer.

Registered

Registered
I chose to start with a fuse block so I could add electrical stuff like Gerbing. This bike has what is called Can-Bus for it's electrical system which I am told can be fouled with quite easily and must be protected.... Don't ask me any more than that, others on the forum seem to understand it better.

So for all the caution I still wired a set of dual Hella horns direct to the switch w/o problem. I feel better with the 140 db blast when necessary. I also purchased the Motech rack to mount Givi panniers from last bike, which some BMW purist friend have criticized me for so I had some BMW decals made to place on them. The criticism has become personal and not just a helping hand to a wayward buddy.

I enjoy the Ztech sport tour windscreen and Quick Lock tank bag from Twisted Throttle. Oh yah, and a big clothespin and playing cards to make it sound baaaddd!

The only trouble with any or all things put on the bike.........It is clutter (albeit functional) on what is the most beautiful bike with no farkles.

Registered
The cap is missing on the throttle side, according to BMW, so moisture doesn't condense within. See this discussion on the sister site.

Flickr: Please wait...
Photo by Steve in VT

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Gas gauge problem finally fixed. The mechanic said the was a fracture in the sensor.

Premium Member
JD78 Glad to have you with us and look forward to reading your posts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts