BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all. I picked up my 07 R 1200 R Friday the 7th of June. Only 3,900 miles on it. I let my 08 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport go. The R1200 R is a kinder bike to ride. Just sit there and enjoy. I'm not driven to perform. How relaxing. Oh but the R 1200 R will perform if I call it to but I can relax and enjoy if I choose.

I am soon to be 62 years young, bought my 1st bike in the spring of 1970. Am a former MSF Instructor and have played with Reg Pridmores CLASS, Kieth Codes California Superbike School and Lee Parks Total Control school. I will probably run through the MSF ERC with the R 1200.

I am looking for suggestions of tire selection, tire pressure for solo riding and rear shock settings. I live in Stockton, California.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Congratulations and Welcome! You'll love the bike. Of course, we all do :) Search the list for tires; people like the Dunlops, others. There was a recent tire review in one of the BMW magazines as well.

Rear shock settings are dependent on your weight and how much stuff you carry. I think average assumes about 180 pounds. If your ride feels too hard, dial it down, and if it's still harsh, look into a set of Ohlins. . . :)

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. The Moto Guzzi doesn't look that different and as it weighs a bit more than the BMW I'm surprised it wasn't 'kind' to ride as well. The R1200R certainly has the performance when required. The only way to get the right suspension setting is to play with it, don't forget you can adjust the rebound as well with the screw at the bottom of the spring. Tyres - everyone has their favourite.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts