BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
It's a logical step forward.

BMW and Garmin screwed the pooch with the Navigator VI. Not a "bad" GPS, but it's flawed and sells for $1,000 USD (retail new). I'm on my 4th unit (3 replacements for issues). Props to Garmin for no-hassle replacements, but the QA/QC on Garmin has gone downhill. Now that the BMWs have on board Bluetooth functionality with phones and comm systems, the GPS is entirely optional as a stand alone accessory. Hence, a new mount for smart phones in place of a GPS is a smart move.

Reactions: dbyker

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
51 Posts
The question is can a IPhone handle the vibrations? I’ve heard about IPhones breaking down in the image stabiliser from the camera. I don’t know if this is true, but I’m not so happy to try….

·
Registered
737 Posts
Luckily our R's have little rubber bits in the cradle mount.

Note that the wonderwheel integration requires the TFT display models and the BMW connected app on the device, but the cradle should still let us older bike users get a wireless charging option... :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm not interested in that, but wonder if it just clamps onto the nav cradle, or you need to replace the entire cradle, meaning also the connector? Just curious about that. And how much is BMW charging for that? That link didn't show price. Also curious how much, since OP said to better be sitting down. Ha ha.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Pretty sure it clamps into the existing cradle, just like a Nav VI or other Nav model would. Basically it's a power converter, tapping the Nav power feed and putting it through the Qi charger coil.

[edit]
If you read the article, it clearly states that all communication with your device remains through BT, and not dependent on the cradle.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Livestream reveal on Nov 22

Hopefully it is not 3 tines the price of the wonderlinq.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you read the article, it clearly states that all communication with your device remains through BT, and not dependent on the cradle.
Nobody said anything to the contrary. I just asked if cradle was tacked on, or a new one. On the video above, it's clearly the former, which looks awful IMO. Ha ha. My phone will continue to ride in the tailbag, while getting charged there. The TFT shows nav directions if needed (which would be more than enough for me), but don't anticipate ever needing that. My naked bike will remain clean of any crap. Ha ha.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well, this is promising news...

According to BMW Motorrad’s press release, the CRC is meant for bikes with the newest TFT dash systems. They add:​
“The ConnectedRide Cradle can also be used on older BMW Motorrad models (e.g. BMW R 1200 GS K50) and fits all BMW Motorrad models equipped with the optional equipment ‘Preparation for navigation system (option 272)’ – as well as models equipped with Multi-Controller and the option of retrofitting the navigation preparation via the BMW Motorrad workshop system (except R 1200 RT, R 1250 RT, K 1600 models). On older motorcycles without a TFT instrument cluster, operation is possible via the control element of the ‘Preparation for navigation unit SA 272.’ The prerequisite for displaying vehicle data is ‘On-board computer Pro (option 221).’​
From https://www.bmwownersnews.com/2021/...le-vibrations-kill-iphone-cameras-whos-right/

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm not interested in that, but wonder if it just clamps onto the nav cradle, or you need to replace the entire cradle, meaning also the connector? Just curious about that. And how much is BMW charging for that? That link didn't show price. Also curious how much, since OP said to better be sitting down. Ha ha.
It will be standard BMW - Bring More Wallet.

·
Registered
344 Posts
So looking across multiple news sources on this one, looks like BMW took a straight-on shot at both Wonderlink and the Acacia powered cradles. Here's what I've seen:

1. Pulls both power and CANBUS messages from the GPS prep (same as Wonderlink and Motorrad Navigator)
2. Sends Wonder Wheel signals to the phone via Bluetooth (same as Wonderlink)
3. Supports Qi charging through the cradle (no cable), same as the Hondo Garage and some Acacia mounts
4. Likely uses some modicum of middelware between the mount and the phone, baked in the app I'm betting
5. One press release shows it at $279

So if all of the above is accurate, heck yeah I'm interested.

·
Registered
425 Posts
So looking across multiple news sources on this one, looks like BMW took a straight-on shot at both Wonderlink and the Acacia powered cradles. Here's what I've seen:

1. Pulls both power and CANBUS messages from the GPS prep (same as Wonderlink and Motorrad Navigator)
2. Sends Wonder Wheel signals to the phone via Bluetooth (same as Wonderlink)
3. Supports Qi charging through the cradle (no cable), same as the Hondo Garage and some Acacia mounts
4. Likely uses some modicum of middelware between the mount and the phone, baked in the app I'm betting
5. One press release shows it at $279

So if all of the above is accurate, heck yeah I'm interested.
I figured out WONDERLINQ

I can't find anything for Acacia powered cradles.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I figured out WONDERLINQ

I can't find anything for Acacia powered cradles.
A quick search turned up this ...

Maybe your Goog needs repair? ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Very interested (2017 Non TFT) however one advantage the Wonderlinq has is that it emulates the TFT dashboard for us unfortunate who do but have one.

The other is if it allows interaction with other parts of the phone like calls, reading texts, selection music etc.

Regardless, I remain interested.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It will be standard BMW - Bring More Wallet.
Yep, 220€ in the Netherlands. I find it great that it integrates with the bike (and the handlebar wheel), but 1) It's expensive, 2) It's huge and 3) it doesn't seem to offer any vibration dampening beyond the measly dampening of the rubber washers in the nav prep.

The first thing I did when I got my R1200R was to get rid of the unsightly nav prep and replace it with an SP Connect mount with vibration dampener and wireless charger. It's not a lot easier on the eyes, but it at least is designed specifically to protect the phone camera, is a bit cheaper and it is compatible with any bike. Same could be achieved with a similar Quadlock kit.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The question is can a IPhone handle the vibrations? I’ve heard about IPhones breaking down in the image stabiliser from the camera. I don’t know if this is true, but I’m not so happy to try….
This is indeed true and not just iPhones. I had a quadlock mount on my bikes and not long after i bought it Quadlock released a vibration dampener to fix the issue, I bought said dampener but I tend not to use it much as I'm not 100% convinced it is effective. I've looked at a few BMW videos about this mount, it does seem like a good idea, however I note BMW are quite evasive on if vibration will cause damage to phones, their line seems to be "consult your phones manufacturer information". Hence I wont be getting one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've used an iPhone 11 Pro with an SP Connect vibration dampener for about 20,000km and the camera is working perfectly. I'd expect similar results from the Quadlock vibration dampener.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts