BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am an older rider, currently ride an FJR1300. Looking to add a used R1200R to the stable. I don't need a showroom new bike, rather buy used. FJR1300s are reliable and go and go when properly maintained, and so are R1200Rs - but I am less familiar (well not familiar at all) with BMW. I do as much of my own maintenance as possible - fluids, hydraulic systems bleeds, brakes, tires (well, just wheel removal, I take them to be mounted and balanced), spark plugs, valve checks and adjustments, shaft drive lube/inspection. So I am not too worried about some minor issues I have seen by perusing this forum, you tube etc, to gain more knowledge.

I'm coming out of a long term illness that kept me from riding - or doing just about anything for years and years. My poor FJR hadn't seen much activity, but last Fall I was able start riding regularly again. Soooooo, anyway.....

I am looking at a 2008 tomorrow, 29K miles, 5K on two year old tires. I''ll verify the date code on the tires. Owner (2nd) has maintained at local BMW dealer, but is unsure if alt belt has been changed (I would do this myself), or the condition of the fuel filler area. Don't think I am going to pull this apart to inspect. The fuel strip is toast, of course. I've had bikes in my life with just an idiot light, or nothing at all, so this does not concern me. From what I have read not worth fixing. Shaft drive boot appears good, though I will check that thoroughly, inspect shaft condidition. Normal checks of course on brakes and fluids. But he seems to have kept up on that. Anything else I should be aware of? Price is $4K, which seems great. R1200Rs with higher mileage, in my area (most at dealer) are $5K or even $6K PLUS dealer fees. I'm inclined to just show up with a trailer and seal the deal rather than see it,inspect, ride (weather permitting) and come back later. It's an hour 1/2 away. Not too far, but Boston area traffic can quickly make an easy 1.5 hr trip, a 3 hr tour, a 3 hour tour. Even on a weekend. Owner is including helmet, jacket, gloves, lithium battery and charger. I have an Anti-Gravity in my FJR (with the restart feature) and it works just fine. And is light.

Of course wife thinks I am nuts. "Why do you need two motorcycles?" Uh.... why do you need 85 (yes, 85) pairs of shoes? Of course I think that, but would not say that....

I promised her I'd build a dedicated gardening shed, as the "big" shed, (actually it's as big as a garage)....has become a motorcycle storage/automotive repair shop. And now that I'm about to add heat... well I could live out there, I guess.

· Retired In Beautiful Tennessee
1,895 Posts
Welcome Colbster. Hope you enjoy the R12R and come here often for info & occasional entertainment. You will probably be able to do most or all the maintenance on a Boxer yourself, it's far friendlier to DIY than an inline four. Lots of good info here if you search or ask.

In case you didn't know, the '07-'10 R12R is a SOHC "Hexhead", the '11-'14 is a DOHC "Camhead", and the '15-present are Liquid-Cooled (LC) "Wetheads". The Camhead is a subtle but worthwhile upgrade to the Hexhead, with 500 more RPM, a bit smoother, traditional symmetrical instrument cluster, IMO a bit more aggressive & charismatic attitude, and probably a few other tech upgrades I'm missing. The LCs are essentially in another league, but the Hex & Camheads are still wonderful traditional machines. Hex & Camheads are all subject to rusty fuel cap issues (search for "abdeckring"), fuel strip issues (except the '14 which just got rid of it), occasional driveshaft issues (later bikes tend to be better but no guarantees). and probably a very few other known issues I'm forgetting.

Sounds like you have found an excellent deal on a '08 with known history and riding gear, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just my opinion, consider looking at a Camhead before you commit, having owned both I think they're worth the premium.

I'm pretty much a life-long Boxer rider, tried a very nice '06 FJR1300 for about a year but found the Boxer is just more enjoyable to ride in every way. The FJR is an excellent motorcycle and YMMV of course. Still, don't be surprised if your R gets more use and your FJR gets more garage time, another reason to consider a Camhead going in.

Just my opinions worth exactly what you paid for them (even less with inflation). Hope you find a nice R to commit to and join our forum full time for info and camaraderie. Enjoy the hunt, and ride safe.

Cheers! Dave

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave. I've read up some on differences among model years. But that is great info. The only other I was considering was a 14 camhead. Very low 5900 miles and many options but at $8K, twice the money. Still not a lot of money compared to new. But it's a toy and I already have one, don't think wife would be happy at $8k. $4k - tolerable. Mostly.

Yes, thanks. I'm aware of abdeckring fix (after rust removal, prep, paint, etc) and if I purchase - one of the first things I'll do is pull off the filler to see if/how bad it is. Like I said, don't see me pulling the fuel filler apart before buying. It's not going to change anything. Unless it is rotted through, which would probably be evident. I'll inspect as much as is visible or I can feel. Gamble is, I guess, if it is really bad, I may be in for a new fuel tank. As it was garaged, and probably rarely saw rain, moisture should be mostly from washing. I'll take that gamble at this price.

While I've become a pro at FJR panel removal, you are correct, service on an FJR is never "friendly" - just getting to the spark plugs, is a major project. I bought boxes of extra clips and screws, because inevitably 2-3 break of disappear into the same black hole as missing socks when servicing.

Anyway, I'll post my findings after I see it tomorrow. Weather is iffy. If I buy, I'll probably load in my truck rather than trailer it.

Thanks!

· Registered
2012 R1200R
226 Posts
Welcome to the forum colbster. I'm not to far from you in southern NH and have been riding for a half century, but also like you, am fairly new to BMW's, learned a lot here. I'd agree with Dbyker on all counts, the hex and cam heads are easy to work on, and I'd also lean towards a cam head over a hex. It looks like you've done your homework and know about the gas cap and fuel sensor issues. Interested to see if the deal works out for you.

1,895 Posts
No harm looking at the '14 then, last and best year Camhead. Prices are negotiable, especially in winter.

You can also look at Dealers, CycleTrader, ADVRider, Facebook Marketplace (the new Craigslist), Craigslist (the old Craigslist), eBay (ummm...), and IBMWR (used to be hot, now a long shot), probably some others.

R12Rs aren't the easiest to find but they're out there if you look and wait. They're a bit of a niche bike, most buyers prefer GSs & RTs, so sellers often struggle to sell making them something of a buyer's market when you find one.

If you search this forum you can find some opinions on the subtle differences between Hex & Camheads that may or may not help. One common line of reasoning is that if you already have a Hexhead it's not worth upgrading, but if you're starting out fresh a Camhead is worth considering - do with that what you will. Another is Hexhead valves can be adjusted with a pair of wrenches, while Camheads require shims - having said that, both tend to hold their valve clearances for a long time, maybe 12-24K miles or more once they're broken in.

I'd look at the '14, but that's just me. I get what you're saying about toy money and spousal approval and all that. If we were closer I'd be more than happy to let you check out mine, which BTW I found on ADVrider in PA for $7500 last fall.

Best! Dave

· Registered
203 Posts
Welcome Colbster!
I agree with Dave on all counts. The beauty part of the R is how versatile it is. Put bags, top case and touring screen on it, and it will take you anywhere the FJR will. I'd be curious to know what the '14 comes with. If it comes with luggage - and you'd want luggage, it's a decent price. If not, I'd try to negotiate a price that would buy luggage for $8k total. If it's the "classic" (spoke wheels, black/white racing stripe) like mine, you'll have a hard time taking your eyes off it after a ride....

You may not feel this way now, and may not want to bet that you will once you own it, but I suspect if you get the '14, the FJR will sit idle. And if you need to pay off a loan, re-fill your piggy back and/or farkle the R, you can move the FJR along....(or at least tell the wife that..)

1,895 Posts
...if you get the '14, the FJR will sit idle. And if you need to pay off a loan, re-fill your piggy back and/or farkle the R, you can move the FJR along...
Oops, Backonaboxer said the quiet part out loud :eek:

Also, if the bike you're looking at (let's just say, hypothetically, the '14) doesn't have GPS, that's another possible negotiating point. You're gonna want bags & nav, you're gonna wanna ride this thing (it's kind of the Anti-FJR from a riding dynamics perspective).

Buy once, cry once, jus' sayin'.....

Cheers! Dave

1,895 Posts
One quick final note, and then I'm gonna shut up (no, really), if you look at the Classic be aware that its spoked wheels use TUBED tires. Many of us prefer tubeless tires from an easier roadside repair perspective.

Best, Dave

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome Colbster!
I agree with Dave on all counts. The beauty part of the R is how versatile it is. Put bags, top case and touring screen on it, and it will take you anywhere the FJR will. I'd be curious to know what the '14 comes with. If it comes with luggage - and you'd want luggage, it's a decent price. If not, I'd try to negotiate a price that would buy luggage for $8k total. If it's the "classic" (spoke wheels, black/white racing stripe) like mine, you'll have a hard time taking your eyes off it after a ride....

You may not feel this way now, and may not want to bet that you will once you own it, but I suspect if you get the '14, the FJR will sit idle. And if you need to pay off a loan, re-fill your piggy back and/or farkle the R, you can move the FJR along....(or at least tell the wife that..)
14 comes with BMW Hard side luggage, soft tail bag, IV Navigator, vstream windshield, Rich's gel seat, heated grips, Puig rear wheel hugger. It is not the Classic version. Coronado blue

The 14 is also on FB marketplace. Of late I had a couple of bad experiences on FB, and this is the second change of heart (other was non-motorcycle). I don't reach out to sellers unless I am serious. I mean this was a waste of time - not much - but still. Had to get cash (who walks around with even a $1 these days), reserve trailer, and then cancel. If I were a buyer and change my mind, seller would be all over that with neg. statements.

I may just stick to cycle trader etc, but I'd steer away from dealer. MOMS is the biggest around here, and they have reviews all over the place.

The 14 sure is pretty, but wife would pretty much demand selling FJR. Too much into it for that. Even if I remove accessories, and sell separate... And I still like it. So we'll see. I'll sleep on it. Nothing around here is selling too fast, not for another couple months anyway.

But I do appreciate all the advice, and I'll stay on forum to gain more knowledge. I do see one in my future.

Attachments

1,895 Posts
FWIW the '14 looks like a pretty good deal - final year Camhead, low miles, nice color, clean looking, saddle bags, Nav (FYI that cradle will hold a Garmin/BMW Nav VI, V or VI), Rich's gel seat (uncommon, probably spendy and likely comfy), Puig hugger (what I have), Vstream screen (may or may not work for you, many of us have poor luck with big windscreens). I would put some cylinder head guards on there asap.

IMO pretty decent score at the asking price, even better if you can negotiate down a bit. I would buy it if it checked out, better deal than the '12 I bought last year with twice the miles and no TPMS or Nav (had to spend an additional $800 for a used Nav VI and new BMW mount, which are getting harder to find).

All IMO, FWIW, YMMV, Yada^3, etc. As much as I'd love to help you spend your money, I don't have to endure the adverse impact to your happy home life ;) I do think if you can finagle a decent test ride somehow, it'll help put the value proposition into perspective -- these superb motorbikes really grow on you and they last forever. Ride safe.

Cheers! Dave

Reactions: filterfool

· Registered
1,700 Posts
More so than any change in engine design, I would AVOID any year with a fuel strip. You want one that has a float. Not sure when the fuel strip was DC'd maybe '12?? I have a '16 GS for sale on this board fitted out like a roadster for long distance travel, Farkled out completely and nicely. They are very similar bikes.
John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts