BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I have been hanging and lurking around here since I bought my 2011 Camhead Roadster back in 2013. I have done some mods over the years and truly love that bike. However as I approach my retirement in a couple of years, I have dreams of touring the country on extended trips. My Roadster is an excellent backroad barnstormer for weekend trips and even extended trips of a week or more, as long as long highway stretches aren't involved or inclement weather.

Which brings me to the RT. I have always liked the RT. The idea of a swift sport touring bike with excellent weather protection and luggage has always intrigued me. In fact I kind of turned my Roadster into a sport touring machine with my Trophy fairing and BMW luggage. But an Roadster ain't an RT and a RT ain't a Roadster. Different bikes from a shared soul...the Boxer Motor!

I first started lusting after an RT during the Porpoise 1100-1150 years and was looking for one when I ended up with a new 1150GS instead. Another great bike, but still not an RT. Put 80,000 miles on that bike including my one and only cross country that lasted a month. Of course it was a great pack mule for that trip and a new GS or GSA would also fill my needs, but they ain't an RT either!

Well, I finally have pulled the trigger!! I have a deposit down on this beauty. A leftover 2020. Yes still on "Stop Sale" but parts are finally coming in for the brake recall, and any minute now BMW will be adding incentives to move remaining inventory before the new revised RT is introduced. Or so my dealer promises, and if history repeats (always does) BMW will be throwing thousands at them to move, just as they did when I bought my new 04 1150GS just as the 1200 Hexheads were arriving in showrooms.

So this Manhattan Metallic Beauty will be coming to my garage soon! But what of my Camhead Roadster? As mentioned I dearly love that bike! As much as any I have owned.

Well as they say, there are no replacements only additions! This is my plan as my garage is already pretty crowded with my Bonnie and Vespa which aren't going anywhere either!

I am buying my RT from the same dealer who sold me my Roadster. Adventure BMW in Chesapeake VA. I had called them as I liked my previous experience with them initially looking for a 2-3 year old used RT. After telling me about the stop sale and future incentives he is positive are coming, I decided to just buy new! It is for my retirement and I deserve it! However I don't live anywhere near VA. I live in Ohio, all the way by the North Coast. Last time he shipped me my bike but this time will be different.

There is a new twist. My daughter has married a great guy who used to ride when in his 20's now in late 40's. My riding has rekindled his interest. They live near Nashville TN near some fantastic roads. So my plan is when the weather brakes, probably early April I will ride my Roadster to Nashville where my son-in-law Blaine will store in his ample sized garage I will then fly to VA to pick up bike, hang around till first service and then ride home. Blaine will take a refresher course and get his endorsement. I will then have a riding partner for when I ride down and a bike to ride if I just want to drive down. Assuming he follows through with refresher and endorsement, and he falls back in love with riding, I will probably end of giving him the bike. He is a great guy and we get along well. My daughter Juli who never had an interest taking a ride with me, has also expressed interest in riding pillion. For all of us to take a trip together would be priceless!!

Official pics of the RT when I bring her home in April!

Stay healthy everyone!!

Rick G
2020-BMW-R1250RT-03.jpg
R1200R At Tappan Lake.jpg

·
Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT | ‘13 F800GT
29 Posts
Rick, congrats and welcome to the RT world. I too bought my ‘15 RT for post-retirement, multi-week tours, and it sits alongside my R1200R and my F800GT. The RT makes for a super comfortable ride. I’m sure you will love it!

·
Registered
2015 R12 R
17 Posts
Nice bike, great plan and super fun to do family rides. I ride with my son...last long trip NYC to Meat Cove, Nova Scotia.

Ride safe, brother!

Reactions: rickg

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
325 Posts
Beautiful bike, I want a big touring bike too but can't decide between an RT and a K for the motor. You have a great pair of bikes there, and sounds like you hit the inlaw jackpot too.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Good luck with picking up a good deal. Always nice to have a plan!!!! ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck with picking up a good deal. Always nice to have a plan!!!! ;)
It may not be the best plan, but it is the only plan i got! Going to stick to it!

Rick G

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beautiful bike, I want a big touring bike too but can't decide between an RT and a K for the motor. You have a great pair of bikes there, and sounds like you hit the inlaw jackpot too.
Thanks! I will still have my nicely modded '13 Bonneville SE for the pure motorcycle experience with no electronic intervention. Even my Vespa has ABS and TC. As for the son-in-law, I think so or at least hope so. This is already #2 for her. But I do like him! Of course I liked the first one too! LOL

Rick G

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have any other (unmarried) daughters? Asking for a friend ...
Not for the likes of you! LOL Seriously, she is a spoiled only child!

Rick G

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Two great-looking bikes, cousins all! Enjoy the RT...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Given your SoC is now on #2, maybe give it to her instead to lend to SiL#2 if/when he plays nice and finishes his 'honey do' list.
That way at least your dearly beloved (camhead) stays in the family if a #3 should turn up. Just sayin'.... ;) Stranger things have happened (or so I'm told). :rolleyes:

Enjoy that RT rickg, it looks just gorgeous in that burnt gold Manhattan Metallic, luvvit! And a ride report after some good quality seat time too please. ✌

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Given your SoC is now on #2, maybe give it to her instead to lend to SiL#2 if/when he plays nice and finishes his 'honey do' list.
That way at least your dearly beloved (camhead) stays in the family if a #3 should turn up. Just sayin'.... ;) Stranger things have happened (or so I'm told). :rolleyes:

Enjoy that RT rickg, it looks just gorgeous in that burnt gold Manhattan Metallic, luvvit! And a ride report after some good quality seat time too please. ✌
Not giving it to him yet! At this time only riding privileges. I will make note of how he takes care of her. Any mishandling and I will bring her home. The bike not my daughter! She's on her own! LOL

Rick G

·
Dave in NE TN
1,017 Posts
Congrats on your RT. Your Roadster is gorgeous.

I'm in Jonesborough, NE TN, between I-81 and the Blue Ridge Parkway, and between the Dragon and Back Of The Dragon, if you guys ever want to stop by for a day ride, layover, coffee or adult beverages. We got plenty of garage space, tools and mountain views. This invite pretty much applies to any Forum member who's in the area.

Cheers! Dave

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Dave!

·
Registered
706 Posts
That Roadster is too nice to be giving to anyone. If it's a matter of space, just buy a bigger house. My Son-In-law does not ride, or fish. He's kind of useless in that way.
Oh, and Welcome!

Ohio has a North Coast?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
....Ohio has a North Coast?
2/3's of Ohio northern border is the shore of Lake Erie. The other side is Canada! That makes it the North Coast!

Rick G

·
Registered
2011 BMW R1200R
81 Posts
I've got that same red R1200R with the Wunderlich Trophy fairing!
Today was uncharacteristically lovely weather for February in the DC area, so I took it out for a lunchtime ride with my Ducati friend who asked what bikes I foresee in my stable 8 years from now. I told him, "Honestly, I think I'll still have this very bike I'm on right now!" It has been so much fun to ride and willing to take virtually any conditions I throw at it. If I had to pick, I'd just as soon keep it. Maybe just keep farkling it to make it even more perfecter!
Here she is after an afternoon playing in the mud.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you haven't upgraded your suspension yet, you will be very pleased when you do. The Ohlins all around on mine made a very noticeable improvement!

If all goes according to plan, mine will stay in the family.

Rick G

·
Dave in NE TN
1,017 Posts
Ohlins are the best and amazing, but they will want a rebuild every 15K or 30K miles to give you their best. NTTAWWT, just something to consider.

I had Ohlins on my '06 GS and HyperPros on my '09 R, both were better than stock, the HyperPros were great, the Ohlins were other-worldly, Ohlins on a GS let you simply float over the world.

Cheers, Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts