BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 R1200R
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Forum members,

I have been reading post after post on this Forum before I made the choice to get my 1st BMW - a blue 2013 R1200R.

I have always leaned towards the Japanese bikes, with my last 2 being a Kawasaki KLR650 and Honda NC750X.
The previous was stolen, and the latter was written off in an accident in November 2020.

BMW was never really an option for my - or so I thought.
The first time on a boxer engine, the unusual shake it gives when you rev it was unnerving.
When I was looking around for a new bike earlier this year, the first bike I tested after the accident was a 2006 R1200R - it was amazing. But unnerving.
After months of reading, watching videos, hanging out at dealerships - I thought I wanted an ADV again. I wanted a Suzuki, and could not find one in my price range, year model etc.

Going to a dealership to look at a Honda Crosstourer, I saw this blue R1200R, with FSH. I tested it, and a few days later I took it home.

I must say, it is quite a mind shift to make to go from adventure style riding (the KLR) [but the NC helped to ease the transition], but I am enjoying the bike!
The day I took it home, I was soaked by a thunderstorm. There might not be a better way to bond with a new bike than being completely drenched!

It has a BMW topbox, but I am looking around for more luggage options

I am used to have a bike that you can fix with a good piece of pliers and wires, that it the KLR. So I am here, reading, learning about R!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Welcome to the world of boxers! The flat twin does have a little different shake to it, but the torque it supplies is definitely something to enjoy!

·
Registered
2012 R1200R
86 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm also a new BMW owner, still have a V Strom 650 and an old Harley. I wanted to get away from chain drive, was looking at a Moto Guzzi V85TT and stumbled upon a 2012 1200R with full luggage and accessories that I would've added, for half the price of the MG. It's a great bike, I think you'll appreciate how easy it is to work on.

Reactions: wrenkin

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum and BMW ownership.

Reactions: wrenkin

·
Registered
2013 R1200R
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a few months, commuting to work, daily runs, a few ride-outs - I am enjoying this bike.
Every time that I stand and look at the bike, I like it even more.

I have removed the small screen, as it created more disturbance than wind protection. Will be looking for a taller touring screen.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

Photo taken by Login • Instagram

Wheel Fuel tank Tire Vehicle brake Automotive tire

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,506 Posts
Welcome Wayne,

Pretty bike, Camheads are great!

BMW Boxers in general and Roadsters in particular have a quality that gains more appreciation the more you ride them. The bare bones Roadsters are such low sales niche bikes that only a relative handful of riders worldwide appreciate or desire them; many don't know what they're missing. They also provide an excellent "blank canvas" for riders to customize to their own desires.

The Boxer beat and torque are addictive. I love walking up the side of a mountain on a dirt & gravel road at 1500-2000 rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear on my GS, it pretty much puts me off all other bikes.

BMW luggage is the easiest, though not the cheapest, choice as it installs, uninstalls and locks easily, integrates well and works decently. There are also aftermarket options that may better suit your functional or aesthetic needs. I find top-loader saddlebags much easier to use, they're out there but not overly common.

Before you pursue the elusive perfect windscreen, consider adding a MRA X-Creen spoiler blade to your stock short screen. It's a bit fiddly to assemble, but once installed & adjusted it does a fair job deflecting air up over your helmet and providing a relatively quiet riding environment while not obstructing your vision like a big screen. Many have found that larger windshields tend to create turbulence around the helmet which manifests as unenjoyable fatiguing shrieking or booming noise especially at speed. Just a thought, works for me.

Welcome Again and Best, Dave

Reactions: wrenkin and v-rider
1 - 10 of 10 Posts