BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2016 R1200R
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for having me in this great community.

I’m back on the market after 9 years without a ride. First step first is going back to school in order to get a refresher. I also noticed my old gear will need quite an upgrade. But living in Los Angeles, I just couldn’t pass the opportunity to ride 12 months a year in gorgeous weather. (I hear car drivers aren’t the most careful in the area though)

So, I’m pretty much set on the beautiful german engineering behind the R1200R, looking at models ranging from 2008 / 28k miles / $4k to 2014 / 10k miles /$8k.

Any tip for buying used and points to care about around those mileages would be very much appreciated!

· Retired In Beautiful Tennessee
1,781 Posts
Welcome Nicochau. The R12R first generation "hexhead" ran from 2007-1010, second gen "camhead" from 2011-2014, and current gen liquid cooled from 2015 to the present. These are well-sorted robust motorcycles - if they look good, sound good and ride good, they probably are good. Maintenance records and ownership history is always a plus but not essential, if you get a deal on an unknown provenance model you can always do a full service to check and re-baseline it for many more miles of confident use. Earlier models may have slightly more issues than better-sorted later models, but in general buy the year, model & color that you like with confidence.

Following is strictly my opinion comparing the three generations. Hexhead vs. camhead, I think the latter has more charisma & attitude. Camhead vs. liquid cooled, I think it's strictly a personal judgement call, both are good, the camhead is more traditional or 'analog' perhaps whereas the liquid cooled is more modern or 'digital' in its responses & feedback. Try them all if possible and buy the one that makes you smile the most. HTH.

Cheers! Dave

· Registered
2016 R1200R
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome Nicochau. The R12R first generation "hexhead" ran from 2007-1010, second gen "camhead" from 2011-2014, and current gen liquid cooled from 2015 to the present. These are well-sorted robust motorcycles - if they look good, sound good and ride good, they probably are good. Maintenance records and ownership history is always a plus but not essential, if you get a deal on an unknown provenance model you can always do a full service to check and re-baseline it for many more miles of confident use. Earlier models may have slightly more issues than better-sorted later models, but in general buy the year, model & color that you like with confidence.

Following is strictly my opinion comparing the three generations. Hexhead vs. camhead, I think the latter has more charisma & attitude. Camhead vs. liquid cooled, I think it's strictly a personal judgement call, both are good, the camhead is more traditional or 'analog' perhaps whereas the liquid cooled is more modern or 'digital' in its responses & feedback. Try them all if possible and buy the one that makes you smile the most. HTH.

Cheers! Dave
Thanks Dave, that is very useful and reassuring.

I like the idea of having the telelever on the bike, since I haven't ridden in a while.

· Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
2,160 Posts
Welcome to the forum Nicochau. (y) I am probably (definitely) biased but I would say go for the newest LC model you can, but if you are stuck on the telelever front end again go for the newest one you can find.

· Registered
1,908 Posts
@Nicochau telelever desire narrows your choices, no Wethead or Shifthead for you; so hold out for a nice Camhead.

What part of the good ole USA are you located? What's your budget? Some of us will like to look and help you spend your money. It's a vicarious thrill remembering when we hunted down and got our own beloved Roadsters.

· Registered
2016 R1200R
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@Nicochau telelever desire narrows your choices, no Wethead or Shifthead for you; so hold out for a nice Camhead.

What part of the good ole USA are you located? What's your budget? Some of us will like to look and help you spend your money. It's a vicarious thrill remembering when we hunted down and got our own beloved Roadsters.
Hi Dean,

I’m still a bit on the fence budget wise. Should I go for $5k budget and get an older ride? or should I double the budge (no more than $10k) but get something nicer and in great shape.

Not sure how much progress was accomplished over the years and the value of the newer tech.

i live in sunny Los Angeles.

Nick

· Registered
2016 R1200R
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum Nicochau. (y) I am probably (definitely) biased but I would say go for the newest LC model you can, but if you are stuck on the telelever front end again go for the newest one you can find.
hi Mick,

I heard the “get the newest you can find” a lot and am curious to understanding the thought behind the recommendations. Is it because tech got a lot better year after year? Or because those bikes don’t age well? Or is it about the mileage?

Thanks for your help!

1,781 Posts
Nicochau,

Since you prefer the telelever front suspension (and nothing wrong with that!), I agree with Svaha!Dean that you should narrow your search to a '11-'14 camhead. The camhead is newer than the hexhead, it has less years and a few older issues sorted out, it has a noticeably more charismatic drivetrain, and has a better looking traditional symmetrical gauge cluster (side by side speedo & tach). Pretty sure there are a few other detail differences I'm missing that also make it more evolved.

There is nothing wrong with the original hexhead, it's a workhorse delivering millions of (s)miles for thousands of riders. However, I believe most riders who have tried both will steer you toward the newer camhead, if you can make the financial stretch - there are some deals available here, on facebook marketplace, Cycle Trader, Craigslist (I know, I know) and other places.

Best advice I can give is to ride both if at all possible, and then decide if the camhead is worth the premium over the hexhead to you. Being in LA, you should have lots of options. Once you know what you want, you can move forward with confidence. Buy once, cry once.

Cheers and Best, Dave

· Registered
2016 R1200R
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great inputs guys! Here are my latest thoughts.

Priority is reliability, ease of use, fun (looks & ride).

Based on this and your feedback:
• Ruling out pre-2011 models.
• Looking at 2011 to 2017 year models. Still not too sure if telelever is better for me than LC. Keeping both options opened.
• In my budget, still wondering if I better go for mint camhead or higher mileage LC. Second option could actually be a better bet long term. No one seems to be missing the telelever on the LC.

Realistic budget in the $8k to $10k.

Camhead’s pro
• telelever
• can find a great low mileage bike within budget

LC pro:
• more modern looks
• newer motor and tech
• will hold better value over time. High mileage may not be an issue since I’m not expecting to put a lot miles on it

My expected usage: (very small number of miles)
• limited commute (once a week)
• leasure once in a while
• all year long

· Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
This is a nice example of an LC and at 40-ish thousand miles, just run in.

My preference would be for a bike that is regularly used than a garage queen where seals dry out and rust forms.

· Registered
2016 R1200R
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a nice example of an LC and at 40-ish thousand miles, just run in.

My preference would be for a bike that is regularly used than a garage queen where seals dry out and rust forms.
I know, I just saw it too. Great looking bike!

Riding it back home, down the coast (CA-1) would have been an awesome way to learn it too.

· Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT
195 Posts
I found my ‘12 R12R Classic at a BMW dealership in LA earlier this year. 6000 miles from new, fully serviced, new tires - $6000. I really like the bike and think it was a great buy. They’re out there if you’re patient. Having owned several Telelever-equipped bikes (R- and K-series), I wasn’t interested in anything else.

· Registered
198 Posts
I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the bikes you mention by year, and I would search for all of the years you mention for the bike in the best shape with the most reasonable price. I have a 2007 hexhead and it has been a great bike (full disclosure, my driveshaft failed, but so have driveshafts on LCs). I have never ridden a camhead or an LC, so perhaps I don’t know what I am missing, but I wouldn’t rule out a hexhead as I wouldnt think twice about buying one again.

· Registered
164 Posts
check for any oil leaks...pre 2014 bikes are prone to rear main seal oil leaks...it's not cheap to fix...check the gas cap area for any rust...the metal under the cap isn't painted and water gets in there and rusts the it...not a hard fix..but a pain none the less...there's posts about in here...check the shocks..they're expensive to replace...

· Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
2,160 Posts
hi Mick,

I heard the “get the newest you can find” a lot and am curious to understanding the thought behind the recommendations. Is it because tech got a lot better year after year? Or because those bikes don’t age well? Or is it about the mileage?

Thanks for your help!
The reason I said "go for the newest one" is for the reasons you gave with the possible exception of them not aging well. Newer bikes tend to be more reliable, better built, have more tech (not necessarily good) spares are easier to find, both original and aftermarket but mainly because it's been used and abused by less people. I find that riders more and more know less and less about mechanical things and motorbikes so the servicing is not as good as it could or should be, and it's often bodged.
My neighbour has a Kawasaki ninja which he asked me to have a look at, I found the chain and sprockets were totally shagged, when I pointed this out to him he said "well I doo spray it with chain lude every month" but do you actually check it I asked, "no" was the answer, "I didn't know I had to". Consequently he has to buy a new chain and sprocket set for a bike with only 6000 miles on it and I am going to show him how to look after his bike properly. He said he had already bought oil as it needed changing soon, I asked if he had a new filter, no, just oil.

· Registered
197 Posts
I am biased: I love my cam head!
Generally, I agree that the newer model will have less rubber degradation, etc. and more features.
At some point, I prefer the "older", more proven technology and for that reason, I didn't want the water cooled motor. I know those motors make more hp but I'm perfectly happy with my 110 hp dual overhead cam motor and the simplicity of it's cooling system.
One personal preference, I do prefer the aesthetic of the the round headlight and dual round analog gauges...
I've never ridden an LC bike but I'm sure I would love it. Either generation will be a good choice. Please keep up posted on your search, let us know when you find your bike and be sure to post pictures. And Welcome to the forum!

1,781 Posts
I was trying to keep my recommendations generic & objective, but after not riding for over five months due to a broken hip I've now been riding almost every day, in eastern Tennessee mountain motorcycle heaven, with all the time in the world since retiring last year. Frankly, I've been riding the snot out of my LC GS, and while a camhead or even hexhead would certainly do the job, the LC is just crazy good with it's lightning quick Ducati-esque grunty responses, butter smooth reflexes, and updated technology & capabilities, snapping off quick clutchless downshifts with shift assist pro while diving hard into corners, punching up dynamic pro ride mode for the street and enduro pro ride mode for the trails. I love the hexheads and especially the camheads A LOT, they are beautiful wonderful machines, I would even pick up another one ('14 DarkWhite please) if the opportunity arose -- but dammit man when you uncork an LC in the right place and time it is a freaking moving experience!

Alright, so much for my unbiased, generic, objective opinion - I hope this is terribly helpful! 😆

Cheers, Dave (Back In The Saddle Again!)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts