BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Registered
2016 R1200R
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@Backonaboxer , I will absolutely keep you posted. Will likely have a lot more questions too. 馃ぃ

Starting to feel like both camhead or LC would work well for me. Have to patiently wait for the right deal and see what shows up.

I鈥檓 also figuring out that newer with more miles might actually be a better deal for me than older with fewer miles. Learning every day.

Registered
Note on the newest models - they have the best safety systems (best anti-lock and stability aids) available i. The industry.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Registered
2016 R1200R
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Note on the newest models - they have the best safety systems (best anti-lock and stability aids) available i. The industry.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I have only put a hundred miles on my new to me 2016 r12r (fully loaded) and I am already hooked. This thing is good! Like really good!!

Riding therapy鈥

Registered
I have one of each (鈥12 cam head and 鈥15 LC). They鈥檙e both good but the gearbox in my 鈥12 is superior to that of my 鈥15 (smoother, quieter, more precise, just a joy). Personally, I鈥檇 take it over a LC any day.
Hi, I am looking to buy a second gen or a third gen. My main concern will be the engine heat coming at your legs. Witch one of them will produce less heat on a hot summer day?

Registered
I didn't read all of the other replies, but when I asked my BMW mechanic what to look for he told me: put the bike on the center stand, in neutral, spin the rear tire and listen for noise. "any" noise and go look at other bikes. a couple of "known" problems are: 1) rear main oil seal leaks, very expensive 2) rust under the gas filler tube on the tank, not expensive but no fun 3) shocks, standards are good for around 24k miles, I replaced mine with shocks from Ted's Beemer Shop. all that said, my bike (2012 Classic) got compliments from 1290 KTM riders because it kept up with them so well racing through the Blue Mountains of Oregon.
Tire Wheel Sky Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Registered
2012 R1200R
Hi, since you have the 2012 and the 2015, witch one of those produce less bothersome heat on a hot summer day?

FWIW - I haven't ridden both bikes, but I do own a 2012 camhead. I've never noticed it ever having an issue with heat coming off the motor. I live in NH, so not at hot as other locations, but this summer I was on the highway and the thermometer was reading 98F, it was HOT, the only time the oil temperature gauge went up a bar, from it's ever present location. Even then I didn't notice extra heat on my legs. It's more the opposite, I sometimes wish for some heat on cold days. I never have even thought about engine heat until reading your question. I do wear riding boots with knee/shin armor which could shield me a bit.

Reactions: Backonaboxer

Retired In Beautiful Tennessee
My LC GS put out more heat around my legs than my Hexhead or Camhead Rs.

Best, Dave

Registered
鈥12 R1200R Classic | 鈥15 R1200RT
Hi, since you have the 2012 and the 2015, witch one of those produce less bothersome heat on a hot summer day?
Neither is bothersome but I鈥檇 say the 2015 seems to run hotter and therefore has more heat to expend. BTW, I wear full riding gear regardless of the weather, so If you prefer to ride in jeans or shorts, you may have a different experience.

I owned several F800ST鈥檚 and F800GT鈥檚. People complained about the heat coming off the frame of those bikes but I never had any issues whatsoever, so YMMV.

Registered
If you buy any bike with a boxer motor, heat will be a non-issue by virtue of the cylinder layout.
Thanks for the quick reply. I ride almost every day to and from work, which means I have to be on regular pants and shoes and when the weather gets hot some of the bikes I have had produced some very unpleasant heat. On the LC which I have not tested I was a little afraid of the wide radiator where most of the heat is released.
Neither is bothersome but I鈥檇 say the 2015 seems to run hotter and therefore has more heat to expend. BTW, I wear full riding gear regardless of the weather, so If you prefer to ride in jeans or shorts, you may have a different experience.

I owned several F800ST鈥檚 and F800GT鈥檚. People complained about the heat coming off the frame of those bikes but I never had any issues whatsoever, so YMMV.
Absolutely the riding gear will make a tremendous difference, but I ride to and from work, can not be on riding gear at work.

Registered
Depending on your commute length, heat will probably not be a concern. It takes a while for the LC to start generating heat to the feet, as it's not coming from the engine - it's when the radiator fully comes up to temp. I don't think the LC "runs hotter" so much as "pumps away heat" differently. I've only ever been bothered when it's a hot day and the radiator fans are running often - then the feet can get pretty warm.

One company does make a lower cowl that directs most of that warm air under the bike, though. Spendy, but I've been thinking about it...

Registered
Depending on your commute length, heat will probably not be a concern. It takes a while for the LC to start generating heat to the feet, as it's not coming from the engine - it's when the radiator fully comes up to temp. I don't think the LC "runs hotter" so much as "pumps away heat" differently. I've only ever been bothered when it's a hot day and the radiator fans are running often - then the feet can get pretty warm.

One company does make a lower cowl that directs most of that warm air under the bike, though. Spendy, but I've been thinking about it...
Thank you, best answer so far, I have the same experience with the Aprilia that I own currently. The first 30 minutes of riding on a worm day you don't feel the heat, but then the heat starts showing its presence and after a while you wish you were on real riding gear. And it is the radiator, that collect the engine heat and throws it at your legs.

Registered
Hello again! As I am narrowing down on my search I would like to know if an Acrapovic exhaust will be beneficial on the long run. I hear that it sounds better, and adds a little bit of power, but the exhaust note gets into your ears on a long motorcycle run. Bottom line Acrapovic or Bmw stock.

Registered
鈥12 R1200R Classic | 鈥15 R1200RT
My preference is to not waste money replacing the exhaust. Whatever gain in power an aftermarket exhaust may provide is probably negligible and you鈥檇 likely find the weight savings to be more beneficial anyway. Leave it alone and improve your riding skills instead. Spend the money on suspension work, rider training, or a track day.

Registered
Oh no, If I buy one I will not change the exhaust by all means. There is a 2013 r1200r for sale with an Acrapovic on. I am debating, should I go and look at it or wait for one stock. I like the motorcycle to be as quiet as possible.

Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
Acro cans are good but way overpriced, if the bike has one and it's part of the deal fine but I wouldn't put my money there. If the original one is available then you can always sell on the acro.

Registered
Another consideration is luggage. If you plan to do trips, a bike with luggage will be a better deal usually than a bare bike that you have to outfit.

I don't know how rainy your commute to work can be - and even it's its not, I would humbly suggest you were proper protective riding gear to work and take the extra minute to remove it and change into work footwear. There are textile "overprints" with armor, pricier ones that are goretex. Not only will they fend off heat better than street pants, they will definitely come in handy in the event of a low side. Be an unapologetic ATTGAT (all the gear, all the time) rider: it's a sign of intelligent self preservation!

Registered
Another consideration is luggage. If you plan to do trips, a bike with luggage will be a better deal usually than a bare bike that you have to outfit.

I don't know how rainy your commute to work can be - and even it's its not, I would humbly suggest you were proper protective riding gear to work and take the extra minute to remove it and change into work footwear. There are textile "overprints" with armor, pricier ones that are goretex. Not only will they fend off heat better than street pants, they will definitely come in handy in the event of a low side. Be an unapologetic ATTGAT (all the gear, all the time) rider: it's a sign of intelligent self preservation!
I really appreciate your advice. I have been riding for 40 years and I have all the gear also I may say I have seen it most, and still fail to do the right thing. On my defense my ride to work is only a 15 min ride stop and go at maximum speed limit of 35mh and I do it multiple times a day. No excuse just laziness. Your advice is a good reminder not only for me but for every body that will read this. Thank you again!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts