BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, 1965 BWW R50
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello boxer folks. New to me: 2012 R1200R. I bought a new 2004 1150RT that I then owned for ten years. After that, I owned/restored several mid 70's air heads and other bikes but I always missed the telelever suspension on my RT. That why I sought a pre-14 bike. I also like traditional dual clocks as opposed to techy TFT stuff...just me.

I found this one locally here in WA state, a 2012 with 25K miles. It's been serviced at the dealer but I just did the 25K service including lubing the spline. Also, I performed the Flapperectomy and added a K&N air filter. I am estimating that alone should add 87hp or so.

My current modern bike was a 2016 Triumph Bonneville and it is amazing...ly boring. Soo smooth, so lazy. The R1200R in contrast is just asking to be flogged. Just a different feel.

Spent way too much time detailing and cleaning but I like to keep them clean so I can go out and catch more bugs.

When not on this bike, I puts around on my 1965 R50 at a slightly different tempo.

I learned a lot from lurking so thanks for that.

Need a tall comfort seat and need to know how to disassemble the hard bags to lube the locking mechanism. l will post separately about this.

Enclosed a picture in case you don't know what they look like.;)

Cheers from Washington state.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,249 Posts
Welcome Rolf, and thanks for the detailed introduction.

It’s clear you treat your bikes well and I expect they return the compliment.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Welcome Rolf! I assume you've ridden the loop taking Hwy 410 & 123 up to Rainier NP, and back through Ashord & Elbe? I lived in Seattle for a bunch of years, and bought my first motorcycle up there before moving down to SoCal...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome Rolf! I assume you've ridden the loop taking Hwy 410 & 123 up to Rainier NP, and back through Ashord & Elbe? I lived in Seattle for a bunch of years, and bought my first motorcycle up there before moving down to SoCal...
Thank you. Yes, done the 410 loop many times. It's been a while since I have done touring but this bike may change that!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome Rolf, and thanks for the detailed introduction.

It’s clear you treat your bikes well and I expect they return the compliment.
Thank you! Yes, when I get the "nut cracker" seat sorted, I know the bike will be fabulous.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,249 Posts
I can see where you're coming from. I've only sat on them rather than ridden, but Ducati Monsters have always been like that (except maybe the very latest models) which put me off even considering them.

The stock seat on the liquid cooled R1200R (2015+) is rather bucketed, so I specified the high seat option and have been very happy to have done so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can see where you're coming from. I've only sat on them rather than ridden, but Ducati Monsters have always been like that (except maybe the very latest models) which put me off even considering them.

The stock seat on the liquid cooled R1200R (2015+) is rather bucketed, so I specified the high seat option and have been very happy to have done so.
Ergonomics are obviously very personal but in my case, (6ft) I need to up and back.
My RT had an adjustable seat and I was super comfortable at the highest setting. Not sure why they dropped that feature. Maybe to sell more seats?

I also prefer to lean slightly forward as I can protect my back better. I am looking for the tall comfort seat but I may just take this seat to my upholstery guy and get busy.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
506 Posts
Welcome to the forum from one Washingtonian to another. Hopefully we’ll get a bit more consistency in our riding weather soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the forum from one Washingtonian to another. Hopefully we’ll get a bit more consistency in our riding weather soon.
I know it, it has been a strange "spring" this year, eh? We'll just have to roll with the punches, I guess. WA summers and falls are amazing, it's coming...promise. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Hello boxer folks. New to me: 2012 R1200R. I bought a new 2004 1150RT that I then owned for ten years. After that, I owned/restored several mid 70's air heads and other bikes but I always missed the telelever suspension on my RT. That why I sought a pre-14 bike. I also like traditional dual clocks as opposed to techy TFT stuff...just me.

I found this one locally here in WA state, a 2012 with 25K miles. It's been serviced at the dealer but I just did the 25K service including lubing the spline. Also, I performed the Flapperectomy and added a K&N air filter. I am estimating that alone should add 87hp or so.

My current modern bike was a 2016 Triumph Bonneville and it is amazing...ly boring. Soo smooth, so lazy. The R1200R in contrast is just asking to be flogged. Just a different feel.

Spent way too much time detailing and cleaning but I like to keep them clean so I can go out and catch more bugs.

When not on this bike, I puts around on my 1965 R50 at a slightly different tempo.

I learned a lot from lurking so thanks for that.

Need a tall comfort seat and need to know how to disassemble the hard bags to lube the locking mechanism. l will post separately about this.

Enclosed a picture in case you don't know what they look like.;)

Cheers from Washington state.

View attachment 115386

Great looking bike, Rolf, especially those lovely alloy wheels. The red paintwork is pretty rare here - I think I've only ever seen one in the flesh. Enjoy it!

Reactions: v-rider

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great looking bike, Rolf, especially those lovely alloy wheels. The red paintwork is pretty rare here - I think I've only ever seen one in the flesh. Enjoy it!
Hello and thanks. Yeah, the red looks good. Also, one of the few bikes that looks good in white.
Lastly, you win the internet with the best user name! Be well, ride safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts