BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All in the process of purchasing a 2016 1200RS. Bike has just over a 1000 miles. Was hoping to change the oil and filter before driving it back home (along with draining the fuel and using injector cleaner) .... 120 miles. Any recommendations on oil? I live in Southern California where the with temps ranges from 40 -100 degrees F. I spoke with the dealer when getting the filter...but he made me question his knowledge.... I asked him if the clutch was dry on the LC models, he said it was? I have had older R 1150s (both RT and GS) and was more than comfortable with those...
I was under the impression that the clutch was wet? I could be totally out in left field here. Looking to get a good manual... Any recommendations?

Regards and thanks
Derek

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Clutch on an LC is definitely a wet clutch and it's in front of the engine, not the back. As for oil you need a 5/40 fully synthetic non molybdenum based.

·
Super Moderator
4,515 Posts
Welcome Maverick.

Firstly I’d suggest downloading the rider manual, if you haven’t already done so, from here. That will get you the oil specs and other useful info to familiarise yourself with the bike.

There are plenty of oil threads on this forum, with plenty of opinions. In theory, any oil that meets the spec should be quite adequate, but after 80,000 km on my 2015 Roadster and no signs of wear, I’ve been convinced to switch from my ‘go to’ Castrol to Motul 7100 at my next change.

And yes, the LC models have an integrated engine/gearbox with wet clutch.

·
Registered
426 Posts
For 120 miles, don’t worry about the oil.

The following is what I use on my 2018 RS.

This is the oil I’m using while the bike’s under warranty. Came well recommended.

Haynes Manual. Not too impressive, but it’s what’s out there. I have a BMW CD from an ISO file I downloaded that offers better visuals.

Handy 200ml syringes for refilling the rear drive.

Oil filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys,
Castrol it is... The syringes are a great ideal, certainly better than my usual eyeballing baking glass jug and funnel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
+1 on riding it the 120 miles on what is already in there. Just check the sight glass on RH side to ensure oil is at the right level. Changing diff oil is pretty straightforward and is made easier with the syringes or even a plastic squeeze bottle. You will grow to really love the R. Let us know your thoughts after some good seat time and enjoy getting to know your new steed..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks will do. Will probably get the GS 911 tool also. Not a big fan of giving the dealer a ton of money.

·
Super Moderator
4,515 Posts
Thanks will do. Will probably get the GS 911 tool also. Not a big fan of giving the dealer a ton of money.
If you have an Android tablet/phone there are other (cheaper) options - just search GS911 Alternatives on this site.

Having said that, the GS911 is an excellent solution - mine goes with me on long trips, just to be sure, to be sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the bike last Saturday. Drove the 120 miles with no issues. Huge difference compared to my 02 1150RT. Did put 6 ounces of sea foam into the tank with fresh fuel. Now off the get the Hayes Manual and plan to clean out the tank and change the fluids. Will also look to put the HEX EZcan as I will add to the rear brake lights for sure along with replacing the pathetic “Road Runner” horn.
Still going in circles in relation to the GS-911WIFI. Always nice to tell the wife that more money is being spent on the bike 🙊.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got the bike last Saturday. Drove the 120 miles with no issues. Huge difference compared to my 02 1150RT. Did put 6 ounces of sea foam into the tank with fresh fuel. Now off the get the Hayes Manual and plan to clean out the tank and change the fluids. Will also look to put the HEX EZcan as I will add to the rear brake lights for sure along with replacing the pathetic “Road Runner” horn.
Still going in circles in relation to the GS-911WIFI. Always nice to tell the wife that more money is being spent on the bike 🙊.
Hi Maverickdk,
Why the sea foam? I’m always curious about fuel and oil additives - why used and whether they help.
Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fogrider,
I have used it in the past for other vehicles and had good luck. I have had fuel tanks varnish / gum up with fuel sitting over time.
(This bike had been sitting for a couple of years). The sea foam helps absorb any water and dissolve the dropout from the ethanol back into the fuel. It also helps clean fuel injectors, intake and valve heads. In this case I mainly did it as a stop gap to drive the bike home. In the next few days, I plan to remove the tank, fully drain and clean it. Will try and get some internal photos just to see if there are any remaining deposits in the tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hex Ezcan and GS-911WIFI on the way.
Has anyone put LEDs running lights on their R or RSs? Right now looking at fabricating my own bracket, but if there is an easier way?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hex Ezcan and GS-911WIFI on the way.
Has anyone put LEDs running lights on their R or RSs? Right now looking at fabricating my own bracket, but if there is an easier way?
My research led me here....

T1-S is the mounting bracket for the front (goes on front fender in place of one of the fender screws on each side.

Rear lights....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Guys.
Will look at the Rev Zilla ones. Kinda in a bind as I had already bought the lights for the 1150rt. Hate to have to buy another set of lights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Guys.
Will look at the Rev Zilla ones. Kinda in a bind as I had already bought the lights for the 1150rt. Hate to have to buy another set of lights.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts