BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new member, I am looking to share information about modifications that work and those that don't in the hope of building my ultimate R1250 R - I have made a start as the picture, but still have lots that I want to do and have some questions I will look to you guys for help and experience of any changes made!
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Work to do what, as in what do you want to fix, or accomplish?
Hi there. First off, I am looking at Akrapovic de-cat headers and whilst they have the exhaust valve there are reports that say you will / may get an engine fault light when fitted, so the question is why and what is the cure: -

BMW Motorrad suggest the engine light is caused by the Akrapovic exhaust valve being a different tension to the OEM (sounds like guff) but is fixed by deleting the exhaust valve and using a Healtech. If this is true, why would Akrapovic go to the trouble of replicating the valve?​
Akrapovic says you need to remap the ECU; easy to say but try finding where....I have spoken to Motorrad, Dynojet, BSD and they all say no - far too complicated a system at present and is a closed loop with 3 separate lambda sensors to defeat. Hilltop says they can remap, but will it work and will it shift a fault light if I end up with one?​
A potential option around the ECU problem for now is the BoosterPlug, but I doubt it has the ability to resolve a fault light if present.​
The bike runs pretty well as stock set up and doesn't need more power, but I would love to fit titanium headers for their look and sound, but not at the expense of fueling issues and a potential fault light! Some threads I have seen suggest the 3rd lambda at the CAT is the one that will give the fault light as the parameters the ECU will read will be different with de-cat headers.

The bottom line is does anyone have any kind of de-cat / exhaust valve fitted or deleted aftermarket header fitted to a 1250 engine and can solve the fault light conundrum??

Sorry but you did ask and I did try searching before raking up this issue!

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
456 Posts
Can't help with remapping in the UK, Max offers it local to me. Considering Akropovic's relationship with BMW I'm surprised to hear their setup with cat and valve posts an error. Some guys have deleted the valve and cat, but after seeing the claimed gains being low single digits I wasn't willing to spend the money. The Ti does look cool though. The tech that did my run in service had a LC R1200RS with deleted cat/valve and a Vance and Hines slipon that was Harley-at-bike-week loud. He didn't have any codes showing so it can be done for sure.

With the LC exhaust shooting straight down are you sure the headers are prominent enough to justify the cost based on looks?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't help with remapping in the UK, Max offers it local to me. Considering Akropovic's relationship with BMW I'm surprised to hear their setup with cat and valve posts an error. Some guys have deleted the valve and cat, but after seeing the claimed gains being low single digits I wasn't willing to spend the money. The Ti does look cool though. The tech that did my run in service had a LC R1200RS with deleted cat/valve and a Vance and Hines slipon that was Harley-at-bike-week loud. He didn't have any codes showing so it can be done for sure.

With the LC exhaust shooting straight down are you sure the headers are prominent enough to justify the cost based on looks?
I agree with you on the BMW / Akrapovic relationship so it is a surprise (I am after the de-cat / retained valve set up option), and it may not be true, but once fitted I will not be able to return the parts and so it could prove to be an expensive trial and error lesson! For me it is the sound and look, but I take your point that the header is less exposed on the LC models, and I am not worried about the power as there is enough for a naked bike and I don't have / want a screen.

Perhaps I will just have to wait for the UK ECU remap scene to catch up with the USA options, as I am sure it will come, and the 1200 models don't suffer from the same issues and have plenty of options regards ECU and remapping, it just seems BMW has made it more difficult on the 1250's.....

·
Dave in NE TN
1,375 Posts
Your bike is beautiful and I'm sure its performance is already robust!

I'd add the Remus headers if you can figure out any error code or remapping issues, they look better than the Akra headers, should go perfectly with your Remus slip-on muffler, and in my experience that setup ran clean & hard and sounded awesome on a '06 R12GS (admittedly several generations back and also running a Booster Plug). If you go the full Remus route, please report back.

If price is no object your bike would look awesome all blacked out. There's at least one old thread around here about jet powder ceramic coating exhaust headers and I think several people had reasonable results. You could also black out the silver hardware around the footpegs by either buying spendy black parts from BMW or getting the stock parts powder coated.

Your bike would look amazing and sinister and run like stink, even the "Duc-Tards" -- it's ok, my bestest riding buddy is one! ;) -- would approve!

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your bike is beautiful and I'm sure its performance is already robust!

I'd add the Remus headers if you can figure out any error code or remapping issues, they look better than the Akra headers, should go perfectly with your Remus slip-on muffler, and in my experience that setup ran clean & hard and sounded awesome on a '06 R12GS (admittedly several generations back and also running a Booster Plug). If you go the full Remus route, please report back.

If price is no object your bike would look awesome all blacked out. There's at least one old thread around here about Jet Coating exhaust headers and I think several people had reasonable results. You could also black out the silver hardware around the footpegs by either buying spendy black parts from BMW or getting the stock parts powder coated.

Your bike would look amazing and sinister and run like stink, even the "Duc-Tards" ;) (my riding buddy is one) would approve!

Cheers, Dave
Thanks Dave and much appreciated - you are so right about the black finish and and everything silver will be black eventually, with rider and passenger footpegs soon to come off and go to the powder coater, along with the silver headlight surround. Forks / front end will get the same treatment eventually and perhaps even the wheels and cylinder heads!

You make a very good point on blackening the stock headers as there is no need for more power and the Remus with baffle removed is already rudely LOUD enough! It is the stock chrome I really want to lose and why do dealers insist on leaving their fingerprints that get baked on!

Regards, Pete.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,375 Posts
...why do dealers insist on leaving their fingerprints that get baked on!...
Sad but true.

Carbon Fiber looks great on a blacked out bike, just saying ;) Ilmberger makes the best IMO, German and $pendy but $weet, check out their catalog and see what you "need". Their hugger is awfully nice and actually adds both form and function.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
R1250R
721 Posts
The bike runs pretty well as stock set up and doesn't need more power, but I would love to fit titanium headers for their look and sound, but not at the expense of fueling issues and a potential fault light!
Bear in mind it is going to get harder and harder to get insurance for decatted bikes. I found just fitting a road legal SC Project can to my new R1250R greatly reduced the number of companies that would quote - absolutely crazy.

Personally the bike has plenty enough power for me, and yeah the fuelling is spot on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bear in mind it is going to get harder and harder to get insurance for decatted bikes. I found just fitting a road legal SC Project can to my new R1250R greatly reduced the number of companies that would quote - absolutely crazy.

Personally the bike has plenty enough power for me, and yeah the fuelling is spot on.

Thanks Gareth and you are right about power etc. Based on another's comment, I am actually going to retain the stock header and get it coated with Cerakote® in what they call Glacier Black. I will post pictures when it is done.

You make a good point regards insurance and having checked, my Carole Nash policy states as follows:-
'End Can - provided road legal, not performance enhancing and costs no more than the manufacturers original. This doesn't cover After-Market Exhaust System and must not have any performance enhanced modifications'

Regards, Pete.

·
Registered
R1250R
721 Posts
You make a good point regards insurance and having checked, my Carole Nash policy states as follows:-

'End Can - provided road legal, not performance enhancing and costs no more than the manufacturers original. This doesn't cover After-Market Exhaust System and must not have any performance enhanced modifications'

Yup some of the more clued-up companies like Carole Nash will provide a list of what add-ons and modifications they will accept as not effecting the insurance premium. Anything outside of that, and strictly speaking, they need to be informed or you risk not having any insurance in the event of an accident.

As for end cans, cans with removeable baffles are no longer considered to be road legal for Euro 4 or 5 bikes.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,787 Posts
Welcome, Pete.

That’s a very fine looking bike right there. I’m going to be contrarian and say that the alloy footrest plates and chrome headers actually underline the shape of the bike, highlighting its form - full black-out could create a formless black blob.

I like that you’ve removed the red R on the tank - I’ve always thought it didn’t really fit, something of an afterthought. The only other thing I’d do is ‘accidentally’ lose the fork reflectors - mine ‘fell off’ in the first week of ownership. Must have been a bad batch of adhesive tape ...

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
456 Posts
If you're really going to murder it out then don't forget while the forks are apart for the recoat of gold to black you can send the sliders out for black DLC coating too.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Lovely looking bike PeteG and IMHO, it already presents a very 'bad-ass' and an ominous attitude exactly as is - the perfect bike for 'Boxer' from the 'White Lines' Netflix series would ride to go pick up Zoe on Ibiza...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have Akrapovic de-cat headers on my R1200RS a Servo buddy will take care of the fault light. I did not have my ECU remapped. I don't if a servo buddy for 1200 will work on a 1250 motor.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,375 Posts
... I’m going to be contrarian and say that the alloy footrest plates and chrome headers actually underline the shape of the bike, highlighting its form - full black-out could create a formless black blob...
OK, I'll go semi-contra and say keep the gold forks, a splash of dash on your otherwise murdered out motorbike.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome, Pete.

That’s a very fine looking bike right there. I’m going to be contrarian and say that the alloy footrest plates and chrome headers actually underline the shape of the bike, highlighting its form - full black-out could create a formless black blob.

I like that you’ve removed the red R on the tank - I’ve always thought it didn’t really fit, something of an afterthought. The only other thing I’d do is ‘accidentally’ lose the fork reflectors - mine ‘fell off’ in the first week of ownership. Must have been a bad batch of adhesive tape ...
Thanks for the comments and it is always helpful to have others views and I do keep changing my mind about how far to go with the black theme - I had a 2012 Triple Black GSA that I wish I had kept

You are so right about the fork reflectors and do we really have to rely on them being the only means that drivers will spot us on the roads....that's what naughty exhausts are for!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts