BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My oldest son got me a Cruztools Road Tech B 1 tool kit for Christmas. Well actually he got me an Amazon giftcard and I ordered it on Christmas day. It will replace the OEM plastic pouch that contained the wrench to remove the oil filler cap. The tool kit arrived on Thursday.

Amazon.com: CruzTOOLS RTB1 RoadTech B1 BMW Tool Kit: Automotive

The tool roll is too big to fit in the tail section, but it will fit nicely under the seat. There are a couple of plastic posts that stick up from the inner fender that will hold the tool roll in place when the seat is replaced and locked down.

I am probably the worlds worst mechanic, but at least now the person that helps me will have tools should the bike need emergency repairs.

Premium Member
I didn't have to order a full tool kit but I did have to make sure I had all the Torx bits. Every other bike I've had used standard allen keys (hex). What did surprise me was the Torx rear wheel nuts, luckily a T50 was one of the sockets I already had.

Registered
That is pretty neat and is a good assortment. I could not fit it under my seat as I have taken up space with an accessory fuse box.
On my tours I carry most of that, but in different forms.
I need to get a philips screwdriver like that because one of the things you often need that for is to change a bulb in a turn signal. Don't lose the screw when it falls out. Duct tape to the rescue.

An interesting thread I think on this forum would be what tools are carried routinely and on long trips.

Is there a 22mm front tire removal tool in there? Just got the Marc Parnes version, but there are others and some workarounds.

I carry three pocket knife style collections of wrenches---SAE hex, metric hex, and torx. You have all three on the r12 especially if you've farkled it. No box or open end wrenches, but I suppose an 8,9,10,11 would take a small space and may be helpful?
Small crescent wrench, small vise grip, some cable ties, minimag flashlight, extra AAs, bottle of rubbing alcohol with duct tape wrapped around it--many wraps. Swiss army knife. I have access to small aluminum bottles to carry oil--250cc (and I can get extras, you pay postage, pm me) and a few other things, but not a lot more.
I carry that stuff in a tupperware case, fits well, when I carry all of it. I have a small pump, but have to figure a way to carry it.
The 1150 s were a lot more kind to carry stuff...more nooks and crannies.

I also have the towing service with Progressive and three credit cards.:)

What did surprise me was the Torx rear wheel nuts, luckily a T50 was one of the sockets I already had.
Do you carry that on the road? I have a 50, but no way do I have something to break 60nM on the road unless I am carrying a 3/8 drive and an extension--and I don't. And if you're going to do that, you may need to carry tire irons also. 1-800-COMEGETME.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a list of what the tool kit contains:

Combination Wrenches 8, 10, 12, 13mm, and one Torx E10/12.
Crescent Wrench, (to 26mm)

Vise-Grip plier
Tire pressure gauge (0-50psi)
Wire and Zip-Ties
LED Flashlight
Hex Wrenches 3, 4, 5, 6, 8mm
Torx Wrenches T20, 25, 30, 40, 45, 50
Four-Way screwdriver with #1 and #2 phillips and 2 flats
Small Bottle Blue Loctite
6-Pt sockets 8, 10, 13mm, and Torx E8
Vinyl Electrical Tape
22 X 19 mm axle adapter
1/4" drive wrench and extension

Honestly, I probably will not use any of them. I just like the security of having them. For anything that takes more than a simple fix, I will call roadside assistance. I have BMW's for three years and AMA's after that. I know my limitations.

Premium Member
I managed to get the wheel nuts off with a 1/4" ratchet which I do carry round with me. Obviously I can't measure the torque setting but I check it regularly for tightness.

Registered
Here ya go

Snap on 1/4" rachet handle. 3/8 square drive.
Snap on torx bits
Swiss army 1 watt LED flash light
Swiss army pocket knife "tinkerer"
7.5" Cheater pipe

21 mm hex drive and 3/8" drive shallow 12 point socket. These do not take up much space.

Waterproof matches.

I removed the rear wheel with the rachet and pipe. It worked quite well. Needs a short extension.

I keep an air pump and plug kit under the seat too.

12 R1200R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts