BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, new UK rider here from the Yorkshire region. First time boxer owner (I have had a couple of K100s in the past, K100A & K100RS so not new to the BMW design & manufacturing quality). I have always wanted a boxer twin and admired them. Just never had the opportunity to obtain one in the past. I recently got this old girl, one of the 1st Gen R1200R as a trade-in for one of my other bikes. Only two previous owners & less than 30K on the clock when I bought it (just gone over 30K now) and really enjoying the smooth powerful engine and surprisingly nimble, confident handling.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bicycle accessory

It came with full BBMW luggage which is a bonus, although I don't think the luggage supplied with this era R1200 is particularly attractive. I've done quite a few mods as follows:

• Delkevic.silencer/link pipe kit. This has vastly improved the exhaust sound. Not excessively loud, just a nice burbling rumble & much lighter than the OEM box.
  • MRA Vario screen & spoiler - The bike came with a Givi screen which was terrible, a lot of buffeting & wind noise. The MRA screen is brilliant, keeps the wind off & no buffeting at all.
  • Handlebar mounted USB power source and Quad Lock anti-vibration phone mount.
  • Cool Covers ventilated seat cover - Provides a bit of additional cushioning & seat ventilation airflow but importantly, stops me slipping around on the seat.
  • All headlight bulbs swapped for LED, massive improvement for night riding
The front Telelever suspension works really well, a bit unusual at first with its built-in anti-dive characteristics but overall the handling works really well. I'm tempted to replace the round mirrors with a pair of the more oval GS (or current R1200R) mirrors & Possibly rear wheel hugger, but otherwise, I think I'm about done for mods.

One annoying think I've found is that the fuel gauge doesn't work (shows as constantly full) but from what I've read this is a common issue & can be expensive to sort out so for the moment at least, I just reset the trip meter at every fill up so no real problem.

Now looking forward to many miles ahead.

Alan

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,897 Posts
Welcome to the forum Alan. (y)

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,407 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and R12R Boxers Alan.

You may learn to like the Boxer the more you ride it, it has a nice low freq beat going down the road that multis can't match.

I have an MRA sport blade on my shorty screen and also like the lack of noise & buffeting it provides when set up.

Thanks for the intro & pics. Shiny side up!

Cheers, Dave

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum. My fuel gauge hasn't worked for 8 years, mine shows permanently empty.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
I'm tempted to replace the round mirrors with a pair of the more oval GS (or current R1200R) mirrors
Welcome Alan.

Rather than current R1200R mirrors, consider aftermarket liquid cooled GS versions. They’re a little lower than the Roadster stalks which can reduce potential buffeting.
With a similar screen on my 2015 Roadster, wind spill from the mirrors was interfering with that from the screen, causing significant buffeting.

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
240 Posts
Welcome Alan. Very nice motorcycle. (y)

My fuel gauge is permanently on full too. It failed onto an empty setting a year or so ago, so I tried the zap-it-fix which failed but at least the yellow low fuel light went out. £200 for a new fuel strip from Motorrad is too much for me, and it only comes with a two year warranty anyway. Probably the worst design of fuel gauge - - ever.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It's important to adjust mirrors properly, to both maximize rear visibility, and minimize wind buffeting. Mine were really badly adjusted. You need to have their 45-degree sections perfectly perpendicular to the bike, which I did by using a meter-long ruler against that inclined part against both mirrors. I can see perfectly to the back now, and zero wind noise. Best stock mirrors I've had.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome Alan.

Rather than current R1200R mirrors, consider aftermarket liquid cooled GS versions. They’re a little lower than the Roadster stalks which can reduce potential buffeting.
With a similar screen on my 2015 Roadster, wind spill from the mirrors was interfering with that from the screen, causing significant buffeting.
Good tip, I'll bear that in mind. Do you happen to know if the thread sizes would be compatible?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's important to adjust mirrors properly, to both maximize rear visibility, and minimize wind buffeting. Mine were really badly adjusted. You need to have their 45-degree sections perfectly perpendicular to the bike, which I did by using a meter-long ruler against that inclined part against both mirrors. I can see perfectly to the back now, and zero wind noise. Best stock mirrors I've had.
The standard mirrors work fine, no buffeting, good rear visibility. It's purely aesthetic, I prefer the shape of the current R1200R or GS type mirrors.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Indeed it is, well spotted. That's where I live.
I rented a farmhouse there when I was between houses. Lots of beer drunk and food eaten at the George when I lived there. Now I ride there for lunch at Tee Hees occasionally.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
Mine were really badly adjusted. You need to have their 45-degree sections perfectly perpendicular to the bike.
I set mine like that from new but eventually found that with the higher screen I fitted (MRA Vario Sport) I was getting a lot of turbulence by the interaction of the wind spill from the mirrors and screen. I now adjust them as rearwards as practical to still get good visibility in order to push windspill as far as much to the outside. It made quite a difference.

LC mirror mounts are Metric Coarse M10 (1.5 mm pitch) with RH thread on both sides, @AlanJones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I set mine like that from new but eventually found that with the higher screen I fitted (MRA Vario Sport) I was getting a lot of turbulence by the interaction of the wind spill from the mirrors and screen. I now adjust them as rearwards as practical to still get good visibility in order to push windspill as far as much to the outside. It made quite a difference.

LC mirror mounts are Metric Coarse M10 (1.5 mm pitch) with RH thread on both sides, @AlanJones.
Thanks, useful info. My bike came with a Givi screen which was terrible for wind noise & buffeting. I have installed the MRA Vario screen (I think it's the sport) which I find brilliant in comparison. Just big enough to deflect the wind away from the body & head (I have the adjustable deflector on one of the higher settings) but doesn't generate any turbulence at all. I'm hoping changing mirrors won't make too much difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts