BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am picking up in naples florida, bythe way, they are awesome....great service......end of feb...its on boat now....slow boat from germany:clown:, so I am 5 '10 with 32 inch seamline....surporsed I know this.....I like sporty, and contemporary styling, with dark tint...so knowing the parameters, what windscreen do you recommend....

thanks all!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I like the way the bike looks without windshield, but if you are going to get one, get the beemer small one. I fitted the Ez-Pass inside in the windshield frame after painting it silver.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
do those little weeny windscreens actually do anything? Wouldn't they shove the wind right into your face?

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
The ZTech 2443 shield does a great job of providing protection. It was night and day before and after install. I also did a 2400 mile round trip in 6 days across North East US and Ontario Canada.

The wind hits me at neck level (I'm 5' 11") which is perfect. I didn't want 100% protection from the air flow. I commute with the bike to work half the week and its 90% interstate at 80 Mph plus so on hot days I wanted airflow into my helmet but wanted upper body protection and this shield does it perfectly for me. I'm super happy with it. A plus is that it looks so good as well.

do those little weeny windscreens actually do anything? Wouldn't they shove the wind right into your face?

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I haven't try my bike without it, since it came with it from the dealer but, unlike Fleuger's, I doubt mine does anything for the rider, it does cover the instruments tho.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I don't know whether the ZTech 2443 windshield classifies as a "sport" screen... maybe a compromise between a fully functional shield and style. Maybe its just a giant weeny screen! I consider it a poor man's Wunderlich Trophy - life is a series of compromises. At any rate, after about 3K miles I agree with fleuger99 - the 2443 definately lessens, to the point of elimination, upper chest pressure. Its all in the angle of the screen. Conversely, the 2443 seems to amplify helmet buffeting. I've tried the old "on-off" so as to gain near immediate comparisons, and decided my 2443 screen will remain a permanent R12 fixture - that is, unless I ever stumble across that super discounted Wunderlich Trophy.

btw, Hoshiko...still no HR1 exhaust...but the UPS guy has not yet been here today.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
So I am picking up in naples florida, bythe way, they are awesome....great service......end of feb...its on boat now....slow boat from germany:clown:, so I am 5 '10 with 32 inch seamline....surporsed I know this.....I like sporty, and contemporary styling, with dark tint...so knowing the parameters, what windscreen do you recommend....

thanks all!!!!!!
This is truly a personal choice. I think it really depends on what you want to do with the bike. If it's for city riding or shorter rides, naked or sport screen work well. If you want to go touring then there are lots of aftermarket solution. Personally I'd stay away from the BMW touring screen at your height since I'm a similar height and had a lot of rumbling in my helmet with the touring screen. To each his own.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all.....so far, i like the look of the z 2443.....and sounds like it will do the job of wind protection....at most I will do 250 miles per day,

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like the looks of the ZTech 2443 on your bike. What year is your R12R? Do you have a picture from the side so I could see how much it slopes back? Mine is a blk 08 R12R, this would look great on it.
Mike Hilton

·
Registered
338 Posts
I like the looks of the ZTech 2443 on your bike. What year is your R12R? Do you have a picture from the side so I could see how much it slopes back? Mine is a blk 08 R12R, this would look great on it.
Mike Hilton
Mike,

This is the only side pic I have.

Here are a few other pics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know whether the ZTech 2443 windshield classifies as a "sport" screen... maybe a compromise between a fully functional shield and style. Maybe its just a giant weeny screen! I consider it a poor man's Wunderlich Trophy - life is a series of compromises. At any rate, after about 3K miles I agree with fleuger99 - the 2443 definately lessens, to the point of elimination, upper chest pressure. Its all in the angle of the screen. Conversely, the 2443 seems to amplify helmet buffeting. I've tried the old "on-off" so as to gain near immediate comparisons, and decided my 2443 screen will remain a permanent R12 fixture - that is, unless I ever stumble across that super discounted Wunderlich Trophy.

btw, Hoshiko...still no HR1 exhaust...but the UPS guy has not yet been here today.

How bad is the buffeting with this screen??
I'm in the same boat...realy want the trophy but just cant justify the $800.
This is the next best looking tho and half the price.

Thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mike Hilton

Hi Mike; The Z2443 doesn't slope quite as dramatic as the Wunderlich. Here's a few semi-side pics showing angle on an '11. Now don't be staring at that water heater muffler (Hoshiko coinage)...its not even mounted at the moment, 'cause the new HR1 is in hand, pending only a connector pipe to complete the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
How bad is the buffeting with this screen??
I'm in the same boat...realy want the trophy but just cant justify the $800.
This is the next best looking tho and half the price.

Thanks
Howdy Dalmatino! I don't know that anyone can accurately quantify the degree of helmet buffeting - just too subjective. Personally, my helmet buffeting increased, but not to the point of being a deal breaker. The buffeting is not to the point that it will manipulate my head/helmet...but rather the buffeting is felt as an inner helmet resonance. As I always wear ear protection, the buffeting/resonance annoyance factor is pretty minimal. Lots depends on the actual helmet too...not to mention fit of the helmet.

As stated earlier, protection & buffeting is largely dependent upon your body height and driving posture. Like the man says "you pay your money, you take your chances". :001_unsure: If there is a dealer handling Ztechnik near you, you may be able to try the 2443 without purchase commitment.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Are you talking about helmet buffeting or bike buffeting?
The cleaner the air flow- in other words, the farther your head is away from the aerodynamic changes of the windscreen, the less the buffeting on your helmet. Think of this as if you had no screen in place and then your helmet is in "clean" air.
OR
If the screen is big, you can be in the bubble behind it and not get any buffeting on your helmet, but the bigger the screen, generally, the more you'll feel buffeting of the bike itself and that can feel like the engine is missing.

So there is a balance of height vs protection from the elements to be achieved and that is different for everyone it seems.
The worst combination is to have a screen that is large enough to allow buffeting of the bike, and to put your helmet in turbulent air flowing over the screen so that helmet buffeting also occurs.

Trial and error, then compromise it seems is the rule. Unfortunately it's an expensive trial and error, unless you can find a shop that has a selection of a number of different screens and you can test ride them. That's rare, I think.

I personally think aesthetics are also seriously important--I'm very superficial that way. I'd suggest you look around here and other BMW fora, look at the screens you like the looks of, contact the people who have them and ask specifically about buffeting and protection.
Then you pays your money and you takes your chances.

ymmv, I spose, but there are only a few people who have experience with more than one or two screens, and their impressions are dependent on how they ride, how they slouch, torso length, where they ride, etc, so many variables that you could be at square one and not know it, but think you're getting worthwhile insight. Screens are a personal thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bought the z2443 tinted for my anniv.....looks great with the color black....wind hits me in upper chest...which is ok......I am 5 9.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My R came with the larger of the two BMW brand windscreens and at 5'8" the air Flo hits me right in the chin and face at speeds over 60 mpg, a real pain in my head especially because I have Tinitus.
The flow of air coming over the top hits me in the worst way, really loud and noisy. No doubt that I am over sensitive, but it really does suck. I'd like to put the tinted sport (small) screen on my black R12
because I know it would look way cool (I like the sporty look). I'm just concerned that it will have the same effect as its big brother and I don't need another $400.00 oh no its worse. I will probably try to sell or trade for sm. screen to see if its better for me or just go without. Any suggestions?
Our bikes definitely look cool without windscreen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts