BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Newbie here (to the forum and to BMW motorcycles). Have owned a couple Harley's, and a Buell City X. But I've loved the look of the R 1200 R for a long time. Ever since I've seen the Black on Black Anniversary Edition, I've known I needed to own one. Will be ordering in the next few weeks.

I wanted to ask if anyone had advice for a tall rider? I've sat on other BMW bikes, and felt their stance was great for a tall rider (I'm 6 foot 7). For the time being, I'd planned on leaving the bike stock, except for a tank bag.

Is there anything recommended for making it a more comfortable ride?

Thanks for the advice,
Jeff

·
Registered
35 Posts
Might consider a good windshield if you don't mind buffeting.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi everyone. Newbie here (to the forum and to BMW motorcycles). Have owned a couple Harley's, and a Buell City X. But I've loved the look of the R 1200 R for a long time. Ever since I've seen the Black on Black Anniversary Edition, I've known I needed to own one. Will be ordering in the next few weeks.

I wanted to ask if anyone had advice for a tall rider? I've sat on other BMW bikes, and felt their stance was great for a tall rider (I'm 6 foot 7). For the time being, I'd planned on leaving the bike stock, except for a tank bag.

Is there anything recommended for making it a more comfortable ride?

Thanks for the advice,
Jeff
If you are buying a new one from a dealer, I would definitely have a conversation with the sales rep about seat adjustment. BMW does have that, although they primarily advocate lower seats heights, they can probably adjust you up if needed.

BMW Motorrad USA

If you look at the catalog for the bike (p56) they have what is called the "high comfort seat"
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en...cycle_accessories_flashcatalog.html&notrack=1

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I don't know if footpeg extenders are available for the bike but I would check the Wonderlich and other catalogues, or see if the BMW people have something to give your legs a little extra room. Agree about looking into the high seat; BMW should just swap you into it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will definitely look into the taller seat option. I know I've seen people mention of getting a lower seat option. I just assumed they came standard with the taller seat. I spoke to a dealer yesterday, and he mentioned he was a tall guy, like myself. So I'm sure he'll be able to field some of these questions for me.

Ill also look into extender pegs. Although my Buell had small pegs. I was able to ride it just fine. But I've been Harley's for a few years (Road King and Street Glide) and while I rarely had my feet on the floor boards (was more comfortable to ride with feet on highway pegs at all times). I wondered if there was some sort of option for the BMW. I've seen the roll bar or engine cage (not sure what their called) that go around the cylinder heads. I thought of trying to put some type of highway peg off those. Give me room to stretch my feet out a little, when I'm just cruising.

As far as the windscreen goes, I'll probably skip that. I'm a fan of the way the bike looks without it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I will definitely look into the taller seat option. I know I've seen people mention of getting a lower seat option. I just assumed they came standard with the taller seat. I spoke to a dealer yesterday, and he mentioned he was a tall guy, like myself. So I'm sure he'll be able to field some of these questions for me.

Ill also look into extender pegs. Although my Buell had small pegs. I was able to ride it just fine. But I've been Harley's for a few years (Road King and Street Glide) and while I rarely had my feet on the floor boards (was more comfortable to ride with feet on highway pegs at all times). I wondered if there was some sort of option for the BMW. I've seen the roll bar or engine cage (not sure what their called) that go around the cylinder heads. I thought of trying to put some type of highway peg off those. Give me room to stretch my feet out a little, when I'm just cruising.

As far as the windscreen goes, I'll probably skip that. I'm a fan of the way the bike looks without it.
To be honest, you can just put the heel of your boot right on the engine head. As long as it isn't 90 degrees outside the heat shouldn't melt your boots. If you do get engine guards, you can also add highway pegs to a lot of them as well.

Also, with regards to moving around, I have found that to be the best way to keep my butt from hurting on long trips. I also pull down the passenger pegs and will pull my legs back which rotates the weight of my body off of my sit bones to the flat part of my hips. It looks funny, but is just another position to keep in mind when highway riding and is surprisingly comfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the Beemer family too.

I would recommend to get a foot peg lowering kit, check the video

Wunderlich R1200R / S Rider Peg Lowering Kit - YouTube

A pair of handle bar raisers could help to make your position a little more relaxed.

And last, may be getting a comfort seat, this not only will make you gain couple of inches from the floor/foot pegs, but will also let you ride for longer in comfort, I have the airhawk R and really like it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tall BMW Seat for R1200R

I have the tall BMW seat on my '07 and it is just has an extra thick layer of cheap foam. There is little extra support. If you want comfort, go to a seat builder and have a custom seat made. A custom seat is expensive but worth every penny. The seat can be angled, widened and raised in height for your personal riding style and shape. Also, most builders use Rebond foam which has a higher compression ratio to most OEM seat foam. BMW is not known for making seats for riding, only to selling.

Dash

1 - 8 of 8 Posts