BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed this on the bmw motorrad website

Starting on 01/12/2020, the vehicle shown here is expected to be delivered with a brake system from another manufacturer (possibly with different appearance) instead of the Brembo brand brake system.

Given the issues they’ve had with leaky Hayes calipers, does anyone know what new bikes are shipping with?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, I can't say I've had a lot of experience with different brand calipers, but these Brembo's on my 2016 are simply the best brakes I've ever had on any bike (including my Goldwing, which I thought were pretty good). I have to be a little careful not to grab too much handful when switching bikes. I wonder as well what they'll replace them with and the motivation for the change.....

·
Registered
484 Posts
I wonder as well what they'll replace them with and the motivation for the change.....
Motivation: Branding. Brembo won't make them with BMW on them instead of Brembo, so they are looking for manufactures that will (like the Hayes the other bikes had - which IIRC is a company that is related to Brembo somehow.)

Here in the US Motorrad is replacing Hayes with Brembo on affected bikes (any evidence of leaking).

·
Registered
R1250R
601 Posts
Brembo won't make them with BMW on them instead of Brembo
Don’t see why not, they do it for Ferrari and a number of other companies.

Anyway, Brembo bought Hayes Lemmerz brake component division back in 2007.

So it just a change os spec, and yes BMW is still dealing with the same manufacturer.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,287 Posts
Tests on the GS showed that they were at least as effective as the previous Brembos, but they don't have the cachet of Brembo branding.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Motivation: Branding. Brembo won't make them with BMW on them instead of Brembo, so they are looking for manufactures that will (like the Hayes the other bikes had - which IIRC is a company that is related to Brembo somehow.)

Here in the US Motorrad is replacing Hayes with Brembo on affected bikes (any evidence of leaking).
I read somewhere that that company is unrelated to the Hayes brakes that BMW use. Shrug.

·
Registered
71 Posts
BMW forces venders like Brembo to not sell replacement parts directly to the public. They force you to buy parts from dealers.

·
6,287 Posts
BMW forces venders like Brembo to not sell replacement parts directly to the public. They force you to buy parts from dealers.
This was the situation with the F800 final belt drive. It wasn't available from Contitech outlets for seven years (maybe coincidentally timed with the release of the F800GT, which has a longer swing-arm and hence longer belt). After that, it was a standard catalogued item for about 1/4 the price.

·
6,287 Posts
Perhaps we might be seeing J.Juan callipers as well as Hayes ones on BMW bikes soon.
If they're as reliable as the Hayes calipers, perhaps we should insist they come with a workshop Manuel.

Reactions: Malcvtr
1 - 14 of 14 Posts