BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery is due to get changed. BMW batteries cost lots more than generic batteries, What if I change for a generic (prescibed by vendor) battery? Anybody here tried it?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I haven't changed the battery on my R1200R yet, but from past experience with other bikes, cheap batteries are crap. That being said buying a good non-OEM battery is worth it IMO.

I know a lot of people like the gel batteries. I personally have never used them, but they are supposedly better for colder climates. You cannot hook them up to a traditional battery tender however.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Do you tend your battery? I have friends who have had batteries last six years because they just always have it on a tender.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Buying cheap batteries are a false economy, I found out the hard way. But good batteries don't have to be BMW.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
+1 Good advice from all. :iagree:
The numerous safety systems on our modern Roadsters depend upon a good battery. Dependable starting and engine operation will give you peace of mind.
My bike came with an AGM battery. Don't scrimp on a battery.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
What is the Odyssey model that is for our bike, anyone know?
Those are less expensive, but quality batteries.
Based on my experience with them on my 1150, I'd have no qualms putting one in the 12

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
The time has come to change my battery. Any recommendations to either buy or avoid. I was looking at the Motobatt AGM CTX14-BS.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
The time has come to change my battery. Any recommendations to either buy or avoid. I was looking at the Motobatt AGM CTX14-BS.
Funny just speaking about Motobatt battery today, friend mentioned he has taking his back to plonk on the shop counter, he bought it from, lasted 3 months.
Conversation did not bod well for Motobatt here, seems you can get some duds.

I have a Yuasa Battery, been in the bike for over 5 years, bike lives outside undercover with no battery tender over winter, does get turned over and the odd short ride.
I am considering changing it, I mean over 5 years ...come on! has to curl its terminals up soon.:001_unsure:

·
Registered
800 Posts
I second Erin's vote on Yuasa. I still have the OEM in my 2012, but have always used Yuasa in bikes I've had and will again as I'm sure mine is going soon.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I just replaced my stock battery, which was perpetually weak (despite being on a tender). Of course, it still passes BMW's test, so they wouldn't replace it. I opted for a Westco premium battery. I did plenty of research and looked at Yuasa (which I've used before), Odyssey, as well as the Shorai lithium ion.

I ended up going with the Westco. It's a drop-in, plug and play replacement, is a high quality battery, is made in the USA, and is endorsed by Beemerboneyard, who I trust to provide high quality, appropriate products for any BMW motorcycle. My bike now starts with authority.

Westco Platinum Series AGM Sealed Battery, WCP14, R1200GS/GS ADV/ ST/ R/ S, R1200GSW, R9T, K1200/1300S /R/R-Sport & F800 Bikes (all)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I second Erin's vote on Yuasa. I still have the OEM in my 2012, but have always used Yuasa in bikes I've had and will again as I'm sure mine is going soon.
Likewise, Erin & Yonder... I've almost always had good luck with Yuasa's...but not always. I have had a very few Yuasa duds that only lasted three or four years, but most of my Yuasa's lasted 6+ years or significantly more. The Yuasa in my Honda Rancher ATV is now 9 years old, and still going strong. My '11 R12R still has it's original battery.

Batteries are weird. I'm presently shopping for big (1000 CCA) 12V batteries (it takes two of them) for my '96 Dodge 1T truck. The existing batteries are 14 years old - and still going OK. The only subjective conclusion I've surmised over the years is that battery life is "luck of the draw". I've had cheap batteries last for years, and expensive brands go belly up after relatively short lives. The older I get, the dumber I become. :dizzy:

Different tangent: Has anyone heard from LofS?

Reactions: Newportcycle

·
Super Moderator
943 Posts
Odyssey is an excellent battery, but I couldn't find one to fit the R12R. I got a new BMW AGM battery from the dealer, $145, not cheap but should work reliably for years.

I use a CTEK battery maintainer when I'm not riding for extended periods.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Different tangent: Has anyone heard from LofS?[/QUOTE]

he's still on here but using such a small font his posts have become invisible, hang on I'll get out the microscope:|

·
Registered
598 Posts
That's not a MotoBatt number; Google tells me it's a Western Power Sports one.

The MotoBatt for an 07-09 Hexhead R is MBTX12U. I have one; it's a little smaller in height and thickness compared to stock, and it is seriously muscular. I like it.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
That's not a MotoBatt numbered; Google tells me it's a Western Power Sports one.

The MotoBatt for an 07-09 Hexhead R is MBTX12U. I have one; it's a little smaller in height and thickness compared to stock, and it is seriously muscular. I like it.

Thanks. So many different numbers and models. I got this one from a listing on fleabay. A little more research is needed!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts