BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This gets tricky with this bike. Just ordered the radiator grille, tail tidy, front axle sliders, and rear swingarm protection from MotovationUSA (all Evotech). Did quite a bit of research, and found out the center stand (which I was mulling if I should remove it or not) protects the swingarm beautifully. Somebody fell, and all that happened was a scratched plastic ring from the axle. The swingarm slider should avoid even that. So that is taken care of. The front should be well protected as well.

As we all know, the main worry is the freaking engine. What the heck can we do about that? In previous engine iterations, you could install some kind of plastic cups under the valve covers. But haven't seen any for the shiftcam engine. The other issue with that is I don't want cornering clearance limited, so they'd have to be quite thin. Hopefully there's something out there. Please post links if you know of any. And don't bother with freaking cages, like the ones for GSs. Ha ha.

The last area of concern is the right side, where the (expensive) muffler is. I was also thinking of removing the passenger pegs (always solo), but they help a lot to secure the bike for trailering. And they might also help as protection. But are they strong enough? Curious on your answer. But other than that, there's nothing else for the right side, correct? Thanks guys.
JC

·
Registered
651 Posts
The passenger pegs are strong enough.

Valve cover protection comes in 3 forms. Full crash bars, aluminum cover plates, and plastic cover plates.

Look at Machine Art Moto X-head(?) Covers as a good option.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your great help. Forget about crash bars on an R. And the metal ones don't think would protect them very well either, but want to check them out. The best option are the plastic ones, which I found at Revzilla here:

My only concern is how much cornering clearance they rob, and nobody said (read all reviews and questions) how thick they are. Based on the Revzilla video, since there's a 'sandwich' part inside, it's at least an inch. Will call Revzilla tomorrow, and see if they could measure it, to give me an idea. Seems like it's directed at GS owners, where that's not an issue. I liked that those look like OEM, and don't have their logo in a contrasting manner. Will keep looking, and in the mean time, hopefully somebody finds the metal ones :). Take care.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Unless you regularly and violently scrape pegs, I wouldn't worry about clearance. From what I can see in pictures, (e.g., BMW R 1200 R, crash bars. (09/2014), on this very forum and here) OEM and SW-Motech crash bars stick out as much or more as the X-Heads. No sane manufacturer would allow the bars to touch ground until well after you're scraping pegs. So I'd say you are safe.

Reactions: MikeHSG

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have the MAM covers, and it is not an inch. It's about 5/16" of rubber against the head, and 1/8 or so hard plastic shell. They fit very well, and since it's so hard to scrape the heads anyway, I seriously doubt you will find them to be a bother. Besides, if you are leaning that far over on a regular basis, you are doing something else wrong... Unless you are spending lots of time at COTA, that is.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, can't quote now (something wrong with forum), but thank you very much for your great help. By the way, head clearance is only about 1 inch when touching down, as documented by a German forum member on a slow-mo video (and that happens at 49-deg on the lean gauge, by the way), hence my asking. But looks like the MAM covers are less than an inch thick, so zero issues. Not that I'll constantly be touching, or anything like that, but like to have a safety net when cornering, not being at the limit. The good news is with the lean angle gauge, I can keep track of that, so it won't be an issue.

Just need to find close-ups of the metal BMW OEM guards somebody posted on an old linked thread above. Oh, and how about the ones below, which a now banned member posted with zero info? They look just like a sticker. Ha ha. But curious what they are. I like the idea of covering the heads less, since I live in the freaking desert, and those expansive MAM (or X-Head) covers might hinder cooling a little. But they're the best alternative yet. Thanks guys.

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm in SoCal and ridden long distances at 105*f, no cooling issues with the MAM covers. The valve covers don't really provide any engine cooling anyway. Not like on the old airheads... You can rest your legs on the jugs when wearing jeans.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
11 Posts
Machine Art Moto head protectors, their rear mud guard for the shock/electronics and a GS1250 OEM skid plate (required removing the spoilers/winglets).

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The valve covers don't really provide any engine cooling anyway. You can rest your legs on the jugs when wearing jeans.
Hey, you sold me on that alone. Ha ha. So called MAM, and owner said they're overall (both layers) only 12mm thick max, so no cornering clearance issues. So I just ordered them from Revzilla, along with the crazy expensive Akra (but cheaper than the SC1-R here in the US) black titanium slip-on. Not crazy about its bulkiness (although much less than stock), but black will be much less conspicuous, and it's the safest bet in sound, quality, and fit/finish IMO. Would have liked the same 5.5-lb weight savings as the SC (vs 0.5), but not a big deal at all.

Thank you everybody for your input. Seems like I'm done protection wise, with those X-Head covers, plus the Evotech front axle sliders, plus swingarm slider. The center stand is also a big part of the protection package, especially on the swingarm side, with the foot deploying appendage providing considerable protection. It also provides some protection on the right side, but I'm bummed that in case of a right side fall (even at 0 mph), the super expensive Akra would be toast :(. Oh well. Hope my new expensive baby never goes down... or drop it on the left side. Ha ha. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, can't quote now (something wrong with forum), but thank you very much for your great help. By the way, head clearance is only about 1 inch when touching down, as documented by a German forum member on a slow-mo video (and that happens at 49-deg on the lean gauge, by the way), hence my asking. But looks like the MAM covers are less than an inch thick, so zero issues. Not that I'll constantly be touching, or anything like that, but like to have a safety net when cornering, not being at the limit. The good news is with the lean angle gauge, I can keep track of that, so it won't be an issue.

Just need to find close-ups of the metal BMW OEM guards somebody posted on an old linked thread above. Oh, and how about the ones below, which a now banned member posted with zero info? They look just like a sticker. Ha ha. But curious what they are. I like the idea of covering the heads less, since I live in the freaking desert, and those expansive MAM (or X-Head) covers might hinder cooling a little. But they're the best alternative yet. Thanks guys.

View attachment 113099
Here they are

Regarding the clearance and the lean angle, just bear in mind that a bumpy road or an off-camber bend might considerably reduce your buffer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regarding the clearance and the lean angle, just bear in mind that a bumpy road or an off-camber bend might considerably reduce your buffer.
Indeed. That's why I wanted something slim. I'm going to go back to the German guy's video, since he strapped a piece of foam to the valve cover, to measure the clearance. Can't understand crap, but hopefully he put it in writing somewhere. Ha ha. It might be like 1-1/2" from the floor, so minus the 1/2" from the MAM covers, an inch is still plenty of clearance. And if anything, softish plastic would hit first, not the solid covers. Hey, those don't look bad, but definitely at least an inch thick, no? No details, so hard to guess. But thank you for posting them; haven't seen them before.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just a question JC, have you had a bad experience with falling with a previous motorcycle?
Each to his own on what he or she wants to add for protection and customisation of their motorcycle. My thinking is whether all this added protection is worth it? Given your riding history what is the chances of falling, if you do fall will you as the rider be OK to continue riding and lastly is the purpose of insurance not to put you back in the same position you were before and accident.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not against protection. I am just curious about the thinking.

·
Registered
386 Posts
For us we have head cover for parking lot tip overs.
With the too long sidestand a good mouse fart can blow the bike over.

The first year my wife had her RS a car backed into her bike tipping it over.

In the MOA Owners News magazine this month a guy got caught in a rain with his RT on a dirt road and while ridding very slow in the mud dropped the bike.
He had a picture of the hole in the valve cover. His bike had to be hauled in.

Reactions: GenlJuba

·
Registered
2016 r1200r
18 Posts
FWIW, close up's of the MAM cover on my '16 r12. You'll need a torque wrench to install.

Tire Automotive tire Plant Automotive lighting Automotive design
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
651 Posts
FWIW, close up's of the MAM cover on my '16 r12. You'll need a torque wrench to install.
Make that an inch pounds torque wrench. The torque value is very low, they are shouldered bolts. Basically, the valve cover bolts are hand-tight, and MAM's bolts aren't as strong as the stock bolts, so are prone to breaking the threaded portion off in the head. The instructions are very clear on this, so don't use a standard ft. lbs torque wrench...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a question JC, have you had a bad experience with falling with a previous motorcycle?
No, but but that doesn't mean anything. I could drop it (or have an accident) tomorrow. Also keep in mind it's a heavy bike, plus it has the engine sticking out, so more likely to get damaged in a fall without any protection. Having said that, I wouldn't go overboard either. Sensible protection that is not going to look bad, affect the function of the motorcycle (like limiting cornering clearance), or add a lot of weight, it's the smart way to go IMO. But to each his own, of course. I'm only doing the MAM valve cover guards, front axle sliders, and swingarm slider. Unfortunately, if the bike falls to the right, the expensive Akra would be toast, but nothing 'sensible' is going to protect it. Ha ha.

For us we have head cover for parking lot tip overs. With the too long sidestand, a good mouse fart can blow the bike over.
Yeah, I noticed that. On most bikes, it's too short. But on this one, it's ridiculously long. It seems like BMW just wanted to use a part from another bike, and it just doesn't fit correctly. Definitely wish it was a bit shorter. That is part of the reason I dropped the idea of removing the center stand, plus it also protects the swingarm. I just cut the rubber bump stop the maximum amount possible (about 1/3), to tuck up the center stand as much as possible.

Reactions: GenlJuba

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Make that an inch pounds torque wrench.
Not even that. The 3 bolts that secure those things are just like the trim panel screws, so no need to even use one. And that's exactly what the guy at MAM told me (just hand tight). They don't use the valve cover bolts, like on previous years. It used 2 unused bosses under the engine, and the upper bolt location securing the OEM trim part. For that reason, I don't think they'd withstand a slide at high speed, but hopefully none of us have to find that out the hard way. Ha ha.

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
651 Posts
The way they are form-fit to the cover and wrap around the edges, I'm fairly certain they would survive any slide that wasn't going to cause extensive damage to the rest of the bike...

Edit: And it's nice to hear they have moved away from using the valve cover bolts...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you're right; since they basically wrap the valve cover, so the bolts might not have that much shearing force indeed. That design offers both the best protection, and closest OEM look IMO, so I didn't balk that much at their price :).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the X-Head valve cover protectors installed, and I'm very pleased with them. They only add 1/2" to the valve covers, so perfectly acceptable, even for aggressive cornering. They feel very sturdy (for forgiving, in case of a fall), excellent looks, and excellent fit. They basically look OEM, so very glad to get a nice fitting product, after a disappointment with 2 ill-fitting Evotech products (tail tidy, and front axle sliders). I highly recommend those valve cover protectors :).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts