BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day! My 6,000 miles service is approaching in November 2021, and I'm looking for dealer recommendations in New York City area.
I also need to replace both rider rubber foot rests (see post here) and get TFT software update - Bluetooth connectivity is acting-up at times.

I would appreciate recommendations from those who personally used one of the dealers.

I'm new to BMW motorcycles: what should I expect to have done at 6,000 miles and how much to pay $?

Here is a list of dealers in 25 mile radius from my ZIP code:

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
There should be references to the service schedules here in the LC tech forum section - I'll have to go out to the garage and check my Chilton's... IIRC, 6k service is just oil/filter and visual checks. 12k is first valve check.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Before I moved to Florida I used Gold Coast in New Hyde Park for quite a while. Very nice to work with, new owners took over a few years ago and the place has totally changed for the better.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
376 Posts
I'm having my 6K service later this month, and was quoted an approximate cost of $350. This is in WA State.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There should be references to the service schedules here in the LC tech forum section - I'll have to go out to the garage and check my Chilton's... IIRC, 6k service is just oil/filter and visual checks. 12k is first valve check.
Before I moved to Florida I used Gold Coast in New Hyde Park for quite a while. Very nice to work with, new owners took over a few years ago and the place has totally changed for the better.
Thank you recommendation!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm having my 6K service later this month, and was quoted an approximate cost of $350. This is in WA State.
Thank you!

Reactions: RC65

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mike, I've been happy with Cross Country. Their main shop is Metuchen. We have a Rutgers connection so it's never been hard to get a ride back (now they have a fancy/shmancy bike rental option too on site). HH is closer but newer and smaller. They've always treated me fairly but YMMV.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike, I've been happy with Cross Country. Their main shop is Metuchen. We have a Rutgers connection so it's never been hard to get a ride back (now they have a fancy/shmancy bike rental option too on site). HH is closer but newer and smaller. They've always treated me fairly but YMMV.
A bike rental would be a fun thing to do :) getting a ride back would be easiest from Manhattan (for me). I checked reviews for all of the places above, and there are barely any recent reviews for service, so I appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have been using BMW Manhattan and would recommend them. I usually go 1X a year for some item to be maintained/replaced. Rodney is great to keep things organized for service, Audrey assists, Frank handles parts. I personally have not earnestly shopped around because Manhattan simply couldn't be more convenient. If there is any cost savings with another dealer's service, it'll be lost to me with the back-and-forth to get there. My tools, and more importantly, genuine moto knowledge and a place to do the actual work is limited. I just go to the dealer. Most recently this summer, I've dealt with Manhattan BMW for general service (front fork seals, brake pads, general fluids) and misc small parts (replacement turn signal lens - Frank easily swapped a clear lens for me when I mistakenly ordered an amber). And I will likely be going back again for another fuel strip replacement. Covid reduced their hours and are now closed on Saturdays. In fact, you must make an appointment and then call to be let into the door - they've been keeping all customers physically outside as much as reasonable.

As an alternate, I know several BMW riders who have used MAX BMW. They drive vans into NYC a few days a week, will pickup from you, then deliver it back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been using BMW Manhattan and would recommend them. I usually go 1X a year for some item to be maintained/replaced. Rodney is great to keep things organized for service, Audrey assists, Frank handles parts. I personally have not earnestly shopped around because Manhattan simply couldn't be more convenient. If there is any cost savings with another dealer's service, it'll be lost to me with the back-and-forth to get there. My tools, and more importantly, genuine moto knowledge and a place to do the actual work is limited. I just go to the dealer. Most recently this summer, I've dealt with Manhattan BMW for general service (front fork seals, brake pads, general fluids) and misc small parts (replacement turn signal lens - Frank easily swapped a clear lens for me when I mistakenly ordered an amber). And I will likely be going back again for another fuel strip replacement. Covid reduced their hours and are now closed on Saturdays. In fact, you must make an appointment and then call to be let into the door - they've been keeping all customers physically outside as much as reasonable.

As an alternate, I know several BMW riders who have used MAX BMW. They drive vans into NYC a few days a week, will pickup from you, then deliver it back.
Thank you an in-depth review of this dealership! Manhattan location is the most convenient for me, especially if I need to leave the bike overnight - it is relatively easy to get back to Brooklyn. Lack of Sat hours is not great, but I can live with that. 6K miles service is simple enough, but I would also need to get TFT software updated, and I’ve heard it takes a long time, so I might not get the bike back until next day. I’m comfortable enough servicing my bike (oil changes/ minor repairs, etc.) but bike is still under warranty, so I’ll do the right thing, and pay the dealer for now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good Day! My 6,000 miles service is approaching in November 2021, and I'm looking for dealer recommendations in New York City area.
I also need to replace both rider rubber foot rests (see post here) and get TFT software update - Bluetooth connectivity is acting-up at times.

I would appreciate recommendations from those who personally used one of the dealers.

I'm new to BMW motorcycles: what should I expect to have done at 6,000 miles and how much to pay $?

Here is a list of dealers in 25 mile radius from my ZIP code:

View attachment 112718

View attachment 112717
I bought my bike from Gold Coast and used them for maintenance for the past 7 years, with no complaint - until now. Two months ago I tried to schedule a regular service and deal with a few other items. I called them, repeatedly, and was never once able to speak with a human. My calls were all shunted to voicemail, and not one call was ever returned. I emailed them twice, no response. I filled out the form on their website, no response. In all, I made 8 separate attempted to contact them without ever getting any response.

it was rather shocking to not even get one return call. Just horrible service for a long time repeat customer. I brought the bike into BMW Manhattan, and they’ve been good to deal with.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought my bike from Gold Coast and used them for maintenance for the past 7 years, with no complaint - until now. Two months ago I tried to schedule a regular service and deal with a few other items. I called them, repeatedly, and was never once able to speak with a human. My calls were all shunted to voicemail, and not one call was ever returned. I emailed them twice, no response. I filled out the form on their website, no response. In all, I made 8 separate attempted to contact them without ever getting any response.

it was rather shocking to not even get one return call. Just horrible service for a long time repeat customer. I brought the bike into BMW Manhattan, and they’ve been good to deal with.
Thank you for an honest review! A few questions:

Were you able to wait in the dealership while your bike is serviced?
Did you find the service cost higher due to “Manhattan tax”?

I’ve tried calling a few dealerships in the area with service/parts questions, and had similar luck. I wasn’t as percistent as you, however I suspect things have changed for the worst over the past year and a half.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Fireman, given that you don't have a big job, just go with the easiest, Manhattan... They used to be a great service shop years ago, fair in pricing etc. Not sure over the last ten years, I have no evidence pro or con. I did find their sales folks unfriendly and generally not interested in making a sale or even engaging me over the last couple of years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for an honest review! A few questions:

Were you able to wait in the dealership while your bike is serviced?
Did you find the service cost higher due to “Manhattan tax”?

I’ve tried calling a few dealerships in the area with service/parts questions, and had similar luck. I wasn’t as percistent as you, however I suspect things have changed for the worst over the past year and a half.
The bike needed a few other items, so waiting wasn’t really an option. Generally speaking, I always allow a few days for even the simple 6,000 mile interval servicing. Their pricing seems fair, comparable with what I was paying at Gold Coast.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fireman, given that you don't have a big job, just go with the easiest, Manhattan... They used to be a great service shop years ago, fair in pricing etc. Not sure over the last ten years, I have no evidence pro or con. I did find their sales folks unfriendly and generally not interested in making a sale or even engaging me over the last couple of years.
equ, I'm leaning towards going to Manhattan myself. We'll keep everyone posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts