BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I am in the market for a ODB tool to reset the service indication etc. ( don´t see the point to pay for the 12 month service and the 2 K service a few weeks later...)
The GS-911 WiFi is a cool piece of kit but a bit pricey for my taste.
The obvious is the need of the 10 pin Icom D adapter cable which is easy to find on the web.
I also seen a couple of YouTube videos, one of a guy using the ELM 237 on his GS LC, looking like this:

The thing is that there are like millions of these on ebay. Which one of those are authentic or just a cheap knock off?

I use iphone/ipad, is there a software for iOS (the guy on You Tube uses Android)

Also I have seen a guy on ebay selling a kit (for the R1200R LC) with a cable and the ODBLink LX for: €125

But is the ODBLINK MX the same thing as the Konnwei KW902? They look the same:

But the price of the Konnwei is € 17 (the adapter cable is € 14) in all € 31.

I know they are cheap as chips so I can buy a couple of these, But there might be some one on here that has a proved and tested set up.
If so please share some links of reliable sources of software and ODB interface.

Cheers

//M

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
You may be able to get one of these to read some of the parameters, if you could interface it to the round plug on the bike, but I doubt you would be able to reset anything, including the service reminder. Otherwise there would be no market for the GS-911.

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
I have one of the first items pictured, and found the interface cable on eBay for ~$20 - have was mind to buy the katter just to see what I can see ...

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
Just had a look at
- I was wrong! Looks like the software was 'Motoscan' - written specifically for BMW bikes.

Reactions: MikeHSG

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi!

If so please share some links of reliable sources of software and ODB interface.

Cheers

//M
"Lonelec" is the default interface cable everyone rates for TuneEcu (free software which is downloadable for Triumph, KTM etc), and it's worked well for me. It outputs to USB and would need the round plug adaption.

The software isn't a knock-off - it was developed and maintained as free issue, and allows reprogramming of fuel curves and various operating parameters. Unfortunately it hasn't been developed for BMWs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Lonelec" is the default interface cable everyone rates for TuneEcu (free software which is downloadable for Triumph, KTM etc), and it's worked well for me. It outputs to USB and would need the round plug adaption.

The software isn't a knock-off - it was developed and maintained as free issue, and allows reprogramming of fuel curves and various operating parameters. Unfortunately it hasn't been developed for BMWs.
Cool!
My son has a Street triple so it would make sense to go down this route.
When you say it worked well for you, what kind of functionality do you have on the BMW? I take it that you have the 1200 LC (K53)?

Cheers!
//M

·
Registered
309 Posts
BMWBOO, apologies if I've got your hopes up - I use TuneEcu for my Sprint, but there is no software available that I know of for my K53.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BMWBOO, apologies if I've got your hopes up - I use TuneEcu for my Sprint, but there is no software available that I know of for my K53.
No problems!
I have send an email to MotoScan to get a confirmation if it might work on the K53, The K50 is supported already and they must be Identical in so many ways...
Unfortunatly (for me ) their app is just for android... But most of my family use android phones so it´s no big deal..

//M

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I ended up buying a cheap ELM 327 WiFi and a cheap Konnwei KC902 BlueTooth and a adaptercable off ebay.
Total spend so far is less than €40 (the app will be a couple of more €€ depending on version).
Still far from the cost of a GS-911 and I am sure i will get this working (eventually)
I have downloaded the Carly iPhone App and will force my son to install the MotoScan App on his Android phone.
I don´t expect to get delivery of these items anytime soon, but when I do, I will share my experience!

Cheers!

//M

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I wish I understood even a single word of this Thread! Sometimes (often) I feel so inadequate and unprepared for this modern world. :frown2:

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
So, I ended up buying a cheap ELM 327 WiFi and a cheap Konnwei KC902 BlueTooth and a adaptercable off ebay.
Total spend so far is less than €40 (the app will be a couple of more €€ depending on version).
Still far from the cost of a GS-911 and I am sure i will get this working (eventually)
I have downloaded the Carly iPhone App and will force my son to install the MotoScan App on his Android phone.
I don´t expect to get delivery of these items anytime soon, but when I do, I will share my experience!

Cheers!

//M
Hope you are doing well with your German reading lessons, too :smile2:

·
Registered
309 Posts
..........I don´t expect to get delivery of these items anytime soon, but when I do, I will share my experience!

Cheers!

//M
That would be really helpful - I've been looking at Carly since your post, and it seems to offer some pretty good features - look forward to hearing how you get on with it!

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
What is this Carly you speak of?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 121 Posts