BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of options to shorten my kickstand/ side stand and came across this version. It appears to be a genuine BMW factory kickstand part for the Chinese market which is 15mm lower. I checked with my BMW dealer, and he confirms it is a BMW part number for a side stand. The cost he quoted was around AUD 220.00.

Here a link re the stand from a Japanese parts seller.

https://japan.webike.net/products/23843712.html

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you going to buy it?, it seems very pricey

By BMW standards it sounds about right. Having owned 3 x 12R & 1 x 1150R, I know/expect BMW OEM parts are never cheap. But if everything checks out with the part, it indicates at a minimum, I can have mine shorten by at least 12mm without an issue. Apart from still having to verify the part compatibility, I would weight up having my side stand professionally shorted including powder coated (I expect about $150) vs paying extra on an OEM part without riding downtime. Early days to say whether or not I would order one, but it looks an interesting option. Either way, I intend to shorter my side stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sturgeon

·
Registered
417 Posts
Has anyone in the US tried to order this stand from a dealer?
I see the parts fiche shows it as not available.

Reactions: Theresa

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Shorter Side Stand

Solutions to avoid having to change the angle of the foot.
First and easiest is a tapered or wedge shaped foot enlarger.
Another being to angle the cut before re-welding the shaft.
The OEM side stand isn't perfectly straight either, is it?
Given the cost of other BMW parts, the shorter stand isn't that expensive IMHO.
Oh, one other solution. Get a CAMHEAD ! :grin2:
Doesn't need any stand mods, and the side stand is like an arrow.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Right. Cut some off, add a wedge back on, un-straighten it. It's like Goldilocks and the three side stands. Or one of those 4-legged tables in the pub that have a paper beer coaster stuck under one leg, and still wobble. :laugh2:

The head tech at my dealer has the same issue with his, and offered to 'adjust' mine next time I bring it by. 2 months and counting ............ only -19C this morning, starting to warm up.

Buying a camhead to avoid spending $200 on a shorter side stand seems a bit like overkill to me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Had my side stand shortened by 16mm and looks just about the right amount of lean.

A friend with an RS also had his done at the same time.

Cut, Tig-Welded and painted for $40 each.

High heels Revolver Shotgun Leather Air gun

Material property Musical instrument accessory Silver Steel Aluminium

·
Premium Member
2015 BMW R1200R
88 Posts
Had my side stand shortened by 16mm and looks just about the right amount of lean.

View attachment 109682
View attachment 109683

View attachment 109682
View attachment 109683
I also had mine cut, tig welded and painted. But mine didn't cost anything. Hubby did it and it looks great!. Will try to remember to post pic.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,786 Posts
With all this whinging about the bike angle when on the side stand (not me) has anyone tried simply filing back the stop(s)? Sure, the foot wouldn’t be at the perfect angle, but ...

Reactions: MGL and mikeS

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
456 Posts
I also had mine cut, tig welded and painted. But mine didn't cost anything. Hubby did it and it looks great!. Will try to remember to post pic.
I'm debating cutting MIG welding and painting mine this winter. It won't be free though, I'll have to buy paint, I can take it to work and set the angle of the foot on the Miller, and even calculate how much to allow for a foot expander, so it never falls over parked on dirt like my GW did idling one time.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With all this whinging about the bike angle when on the side stand (not me) has anyone tried simply filing back the stop(s)? Sure, the foot wouldn’t be at the perfect angle, but ...
View attachment 109690
It would be of interest to see the before and after lean angle. Is this your nifty little hack, PZ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,786 Posts
Is this your nifty little hack, PZ?
It's something I thought might be a solution for some, Mike, but haven't implemented it on the Panzer. I'm not unhappy with the stock angle, especially with my default suspension setting being Dynamic. I probably have a little more slack in the pivot than a new bike would have (the Panzer is almost run in).

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
417 Posts
Post # 11 in this thread shows the short stand on a US bike.

The owner said it increased the lean angle 3 degrees and the foot still sits flat on the ground.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
134 Posts
Post # 11 in this thread shows the short stand on a US bike.

The owner said it increased the lean angle 3 degrees and the foot still sits flat on the ground.
The pic wouldnt show up for me on that thread. I ordered the short stand for my 2016 R1200R from Bobs BMW using the BMW part number from the Japanese website. It was definitely a different part number from the regular stand. They were having a sale on parts. With expedited shipping from Germany it was $192.00. Wouldve been cheaper without the expedited shipping. I figure if it doesnt work for me I still have the regular stand. They were unsure if the order would go through since some of the foreign market parts are blocked for sale in the US?? The order went through. I havnt received it yet, its a week out. I will see.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts