BMW R1200R Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

Registered
Hi Fazerboy, how did you get on with the shorter sidestand? I'm thinking about buying one ?
It鈥檚 fantastic - worth every penny! You鈥檒l definitely not regret getting one.

Of course the bike should have come with the shorter stand from the factory so it鈥檚 not really fair that we have to spend money on this, but there鈥檚 not much point complaining.

Mark 鈥 Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
... and then we鈥檒l have a spate of broken sidestands, not designed to take the additional weight. 馃槈

Reactions: Pale Roadster

Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
... and then we鈥檒l have a spate of broken sidestands, not designed to take the additional weight. 馃槈
Dont foresee that. They are OEM BMW side stands listed for the bike. The additional lean angle is minimal and I dont see BMW putting out a factory sidestand that are not designed to work properly.

Mark 鈥 Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
It just occurred to me that this being the Japanese market, maybe the stock suspension is set a bit lower, requiring a shorter side stand to achieve the same angle.

But, yeah, I鈥檓 sure it's strong enough - just yanking people鈥檚 chain. 馃槃

Registered
Mine arrived from Germany this past week and I installed it recently. It is a vast improvement. Thanks to those that posted the info here on the OEM stand. I posted these in the other side stand thread here already but I'll put them here too.

Registered
I ordered a short sidestand from my local BMW dealer and a month later they tell me BMW will not sell it to them. WTF?
Anyone in the US that has successfully ordered Part # 46 53 8 564 609 please tell me the name of the BMW dealer you bought it from?

Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
I ordered a short sidestand from my local BMW dealer and a month later they tell me BMW will not sell it to them. WTF?
Anyone in the US that has successfully ordered Part # 46 53 8 564 609 please tell me the name of the BMW dealer you bought it from?
I dont have the part number, but it's the short stand.
I ordered mine from Bob's BMW. I will check to see if I can come up with the part number and verify it with yours.

Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
I dont have the part number, but it's the short stand.
I ordered mine from Bob's BMW. I will check to see if I can come up with the part number and verify it with yours.
Yeah that's the part number I used. Tried to attach a pic but no joy.

Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
Thats total BS on BMW. The shorter side stand is fine. Just take a look at the lean angle on other bikes. Its much, much more. I'm sorry but I need more lean angle. I dont have the luxury of picking the exact perfect spot to stop. If you ride in any of the organized rides that have pre-selected sites you have to go to, like the Tour of Honor. You dont get to pick where you park. Even with more of a lean angle it can be a challenge to park. Heck, just a ride to sight see can have very motorcycle unfriendly parking. Guess I was lucky to get one while the getting was good. With the demand for a shorter stand, and this one isnt much shorter at that, you would figure they would provide what the customer, US, would want. I think I will shoot them an email and get an explanation on that one.

Registered
Even with more of a lean angle it can be a challenge to park. Heck, just a ride to sight see can have very motorcycle unfriendly parking.
Maybe the part will become available again. One parts manager said he has seen BMW stop sales when they are doing a price change. He said about 56 were in stock in Germany. Maybe that is too low an inventory to allow aftermarket sales and is needed for warranty work? I don't know what the deal is.

Southern Arizona roads have a lot of camber to channel monsoon rainwater toward a wash. They use chip and seal that deteriorates rapidly. Nothing is level. But the same roads I could deploy the sidestand on my Yamaha FJ-09 (tall bike) I wouldn't even consider parking the R12R. The side street in front of my friends' house is a perfect example. The road is sharply crowned for drainage. I have to park the R against traffic with the sidestand deployed toward the dip at the curbside. No earthly way to park otherwise. My Yamaha had no issues parking with the sidestand pointed towards the up-slope, the bike just angled slightly toward the middle of the street, bike facing same way as traffic. Perhaps BMW thought that the boxer cylinder head could come into contact with the road if the stand were lower and you tried to park the bike as I just described for the Yamaha. Uhm...uhm...:unsure:

I bought a used sidestand to mess with. Not yet sure how I'll modify it. Talking to a few welders/fabricators in the area and I don't get a sense they will care as much as I will about how the foot angle results from cutting out a section. But maybe I'm over thinking it.

Any mechanical engineers who might give me an idea how to work up a diagram of exactly how and where to cut out 15mm and have the foot land parallel to the ground properly with the new angle on the bike?

Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
There are a couple of threads that have modified stands with pics. Might have to search a bit.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts