BMW R1200R Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Welcome! Let us know how the project progresses. And please measure the amount you cut off so we'll know "for next time"...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

I’m in the UK.

If you run out of options and you’re desperate for the shorter stand I’d be happy to buy one here and ship it to you. I doubt it would be cheap though...

Cheers

Jack
Hi Jack, I sent you a Private Message/Conversation re the short side stand.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've sent you a PM as I see nothing from you. A bit odd, perhaps one of the vagaries of the subspace ether...

JtL

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
85 Posts
I emailed BMW customer support. Surprise, no response. If there were some design or incompatibility problems surely they would at least respond with that information??? A bit disappointed in BMW's lack of customer support.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In my experience just about any kind of even vaguely technical question and the response is that you have to contact your dealer.

The easisets solution for parts questions is just to look things up on parts fiches at Max BMW or any one of a number of others.

The electronic manual - if you can get one - will tell you far more than you ever wanted to know. I have one for the RT and it will tell you which parts go on every model version for all BMWs regions, along with ALL the service details.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
85 Posts
I ordered and received mine from Bob's BMW, not my local dealer, and it was in fact listed in the parts fiches.
I dont have a lot of faith in my local dealer. They didnt even know about the fob-less extra key you can use for your side cases. But, if there was a design issue that would put either bike or rider in jeopardy, I would hope BMW support would at least come forward with that tid bit of info!👍

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’m going to look into perhaps buying a couple of the short stands in the UK (if my dealer will still supply them) and shipping them over to one person in the US who can then send on the spare one. Not looking to make any money on this of course - just a service to the US folks on here.

Could be expensive though, as the stands cost about £140 to start with and shipping of a relatively heavy item won’t be cheap.

Give me a couple of days to research it...

Jack

·
Registered
146 Posts
Finished my side stand project.
1) bought a salvaged side stand from a 2016 RS. Slight damage to the part that your toe pushes to deploy the stand. Not structural damage.
2) had a fabricator cut off the foot and toe thingy, slice 3/8" off the shaft, and weld foot back on.
3) mounted the side stand to make sure it was good to go, foot angle correct.
4) painted
5) installed
Not a visually, perfectly neat, weld. But the fabricator did it free hand and got the foot angle right. It may not be pretty but I have confidence that it is structurally sound and a strong weld. The used side stand came with the switch, too.
I used a piece of tape and angle to show the lean with the stock and shortened side stands. A small reference but there is a huge difference. Look at the Left cylinder head. Nearly horizontal with the OEM side stand. I can now actually turn the bars all the way to the right and the bike is rock steady. My garage is level so when I test it in the real world I will add any further impressions.
Stand.jpg s-l1600.jpg 20210409_110207.jpg 20210409_110246.jpg 20210409_185935.jpg 20210409_160150.jpg 20210409_190049.jpg 20210409_114936.jpg 20210409_160652.jpg

81 - 90 of 90 Posts