BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of upgrading from R1200R to R1250R and would like to transfer the OEM crash bars to my 1250. I think that should be possible but I'm wondering if any additional i.e. longer retaining bolts were included in the original fitment. Or are the existing bolts used. Thanks

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP w/sport & 2019 R1250GS HP Rallye & 2019 R nineT SCR
119 Posts
IIRC, everything should just bolt right up, as same engine mounts, as I know others whom have installed on R12XX models.
You just have to remove the lower engine spoiler if you have one installed.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,248 Posts
Not sure they will fit due to the different head cover shape, but if jr says they have been fitted, I expect they do. They have different part numbers in the fiche, but that could simply be a design upgrade.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure they will fit due to the different head cover shape, but if jr says they have been fitted, I expect they do. They have different part numbers in the fiche, but that could simply be a design upgrade.
Thanks Panzermann.
I've changed my mind :eek: and decided to protect the head covers with MachineArt X-Head 1250.
Cheers

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
399 Posts
Thanks Panzermann.
I've changed my mind :eek: and decided to protect the head covers with MachineArt X-Head 1250.
Cheers
A few FB posts in the r1250r group reported damage to cylinders even with head covers. They've used BMW OEM head covers, which sacrificially protected the cosmetic finish and provided some damping during a parking lot tip-over. Per the posters, even a minor tip-over of r1250r may cause cylinder heads to move all so slightly, and cause oil leaks and etc., with multi-thousand dollar repair bills.
While crash bars add weight and bulk, they might be essential for modern boxers.

Reactions: mikeS and dbyker

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few FB posts in the r1250r group reported damage to cylinders even with head covers. They've used BMW OEM head covers, which sacrificially protected the cosmetic finish and provided some damping during a parking lot tip-over. Per the posters, even a minor tip-over of r1250r may cause cylinder heads to move all so slightly, and cause oil leaks and etc., with multi-thousand dollar repair bills.
While crash bars add weight and bulk, they might be essential for modern boxers.
Damn....Now I'm starting to procrastinate...:eek:

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,506 Posts
Good info, thank you.

Glad I've got cylinder head covers AND crash bars on my GS.

Best, Dave
Plant Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
3,192 Posts
If I was to install engine protection bars on my R LC this would my choice. Less bulky than most and IMHO coupled with X-Head covers would be good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
A few FB posts in the r1250r group reported damage to cylinders even with head covers. They've used BMW OEM head covers, which sacrificially protected the cosmetic finish and provided some damping during a parking lot tip-over. Per the posters, even a minor tip-over of r1250r may cause cylinder heads to move all so slightly, and cause oil leaks
Are you sure they didn't say head cover or valve cover.
I would think it would take more than a parking lot drop to dislodge a head.
For sure the cylinders won't move because they are cast with the engine block.

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
399 Posts
Are you sure they didn't say head cover or valve cover.
I would think it would take more than a parking lot drop to dislodge a head.
For sure the cylinders won't move because they are cast with the engine block.
Could have been. If I come across that post again, I’ll update. FB search doesn’t work with translated posts, and I think those were from Europe somewhere, not originally in English.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,248 Posts
No way is the head going to move without a catastrophic impact - it would be the last thing you’re loved ones would be concerned about in such a situation.

It is feasible for the fixing screws to bend with a low-side but the valve covers are of very strong aluminium zinc magnesium alloy construction and very hard to distort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts