BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this whiz-bang electronic shock is available for the R1200r? Does anyone know whether it can be fitted to a non-ESA 1200? I ask only because I will need to buy extra ink for my basement money printing press if the answer is yes to both.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I believe it's only available for GSs and RTs now, but the Ohlins representative at the MN motorcycle show told me that it should be available for more models this fall, including the R12R.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But will you be able to put it on a non-ESA R12?

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
You could mount it. But would it function as designed? The electronic connectors, wiring harness, OBC software and ESA button are not there. ESA is not retrofit friendly. Would not buying a newer model BMW with ESA II in a few years be easier and cheaper? Then, the ECM, OBC and ESA would all be linked from the factory. BMW and Ducati are both moving in this direction. Plese check out the BMW HP4 electronic suspension. (HP4 is the newest version S1000RR) Guys who race these here in Japan are having great results right off the showroom floor. Others racing the new Ducati Panigale are having trouble getting it dialed in, too slow reacting to track conditions. Disconnect it and mount manual adjustable shocks. That's the scuttlebutt.
BTW: since you have the printing press all ready in the basement, make a test run, and send Hoshiko and I some samples. We will let you know how they spend.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason I wonder if its possible to plug in on a non ESA bike is that it seems to be a replacement for ESA; that they unplug or remove the ESA to put in the Mechatronic.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The reason I wonder if its possible to plug in on a non ESA bike is that it seems to be a replacement for ESA; that they unplug or remove the ESA to put in the Mechatronic.
Interesting... Full Öhlins suspension and full ESA functionality. Sounds very good, but also very expensive... :2cents:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts