BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A word of warning to any of you about to embark on your first engine oil change on an R1200 / 1250 - this as you know is best done when the engine is nice and warm after a run, but when you crack open that drain plug (torx size 55) you better be ready with a large open container - SHE'S A GUSHER!!!

I discovered this to my detriment when my oil catch pan, that has a circa 25mm / 1" inlet and a smaller vent hole, simply could not cope with the deluge of oil and it went everywhere except into the catch pan! You need something like a 5 litre / 1 gallon fluid container with the top cut off to give the biggest opening you can get whilst maintaining maximum capacity - the bike holds 4 litres of oil.

The stain bottom left of the photo is after extensive cleaning......

Other than that, it is a very easy job to do and I always swap oil much sooner than recommended - it is the life blood and I hate to see a dirty oil sight glass and think of all that crud running around the engine!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep that sounds like a very familiar story ... an easy but potentially messy job if you haven’t quiet got the right receptacle. Always keep a bag of cement dust in my garage just in case.

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
117 Posts
A word of warning to any of you about to embark on your first engine oil change on an R1200 / 1250 - this as you know is best done when the engine is nice and warm after a run, but when you crack open that drain plug (torx size 55) you better be ready with a large open container - SHE'S A GUSHER!!!

I discovered this to my detriment when my oil catch pan, that has a circa 25mm / 1" inlet and a smaller vent hole, simply could not cope with the deluge of oil and it went everywhere except into the catch pan! You need something like a 5 litre / 1 gallon fluid container with the top cut off to give the biggest opening you can get whilst maintaining maximum capacity - the bike holds 4 litres of oil.
Oil changed my 2011 R1200R Classic yesterday after a local ride in the warm sun (snow here today and cold northerly wind).

New OEM sump plug washer, and new Austrian made Mahle filter fitted. Four litres of Motul carefully added, which takes the oil level to just a mm or so below the top of the sight glass, even after engine run the level settled to the same position.

Here are a few photos. I keep two of these large oil-catcher pans handy as it is indeed a gusher, and a second pan is a useful thing instead of a panic situation . Note how the old washer from the old BMW OEM oil filter was left on the engine sump. Removed easily of course, and lightly oiled the new sealing ring on the new oil filter. Sump plug and oil filter tighted to 32Nm and 11Nm respectively. That old oil was clean as a very clean thing - - only 700 miles last year. Not a good year for biking.

That sump and finning badly needs a rub down and respray, but access lying on the floor is too difficult. One day maybe, if I ever buy a bike lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use Sealey's finest. I take the two small yellow knobs out and it gobbles the 4 l without a hic (6 litre capacity).
It's extremely convenient as I can take it as is to the closest recycling centre and empty it there. After a wash it's ready for next year's.
I serviced mine 3 weeks ago, changing engine oil and filter, FD and gearbox oil. For FD and GB I use a small pyrex which I then empty into sparkling water bottles - same destiny, local recycling centre. They should drop the sulphur in that oil, as pesky as it gets...
IMG_6141.jpeg

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes, that 5/40 Apple juice they call motor oil just gushes out.

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the comments etc and a BIGGER container is the way to go!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts