BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a test ride on a new R today, and after a ride of 20miles on a 70 degree day, I was shocked to feel the oil cooler, and it wasn't even warm to the touch! The dealer didn't give a good reason for this, just a BS story about how great the exposed cylinder's dealt with heat, etc, etc. I have other bikes with exposed oil coolers, and they all get hot. This one didn't seem to be flowing any oil. Do they have a thermostat to shut-off oil flow to the cooler, or what? The temp guage on the cluster was showing about three fourth's up the scale.
The dealer's lack of an answer for this kept me from riding a new bike home today!

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I read this today about 15 minutes after returning from a 200km ride in about 80 degree temperatures. Intrigued, I just strolled outside to feel the rad - it is, as you say, barely warm to the touch! And I have a heavy-duty stainless steel mesh rad guard that I'm sure must conserve a little of the radiated heat...

The cylinders certainly do dispose of a lot of the heat, and bear in mind that on other w/cooled bikes this isn't necessarily the case - the water and rad have to deal with it all.

My temp gauge was halfway up the scale - it seems to sit there permanently - just where the little 'dot' is on the lhs of the scale. But I'd be interested in the thermostat answer..

L of S

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Oil Cooler

My old R1100R had dual oil coolers, and they got HOT! The heat management of the camheads is a feather in the cap of BMW engineers.
They run much smoother, also. The size & routing of the oil orifices gives sufficient cooling in extreme conditions. I hope you go back to the dealer and ride home on a new camhead Roadster very soon. Take my word for it, with exception of a few niggly oversights like faulty fuel strips & ABCDECKRING, it is a well sorted machine. Riding season is here, so I hope you don't delay too long. You'll regret waiting IMO

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Puzzled! Went for 2 x 40km outings today in 28 degree heat (= 83 F), each 40km separated by about 10 minutes off the bike (chatting about the paint job on my new Trophy fairing). Mostly moving traffic, when arriving home I checked the feel of the front of the oil-cooler rad - HOT, HOT, HOT! Baffled!

L of S

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FALSE ALARM. I did purchase the bike today. It was about 80 degrees and the ride home was 30 miles. Upon arrival back home with new bike, I checked again, and the cooler was hot to the touch this time----so it's working. Temp gauge ran about three fourths up the scale. All is good, now I'm just going to ride, and pray the fuel strip's work. I will monitor the trip meter just in case, at least until I have "bonded" with it, and it's earned my confidence.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
FALSE ALARM. I did purchase the bike today. It was about 80 degrees and the ride home was 30 miles. Upon arrival back home with new bike, I checked again, and the cooler was hot to the touch this time----so it's working. Temp gauge ran about three fourths up the scale. All is good, now I'm just going to ride, and pray the fuel strip's work. I will monitor the trip meter just in case, at least until I have "bonded" with it, and it's earned my confidence.
Ya gotta watch that leprosy. . .it makes it hard to detect hot and cold sometimes. . . :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,
I notice in the passed two days my R1200R temp gauge is one line above the middle. I always thought temp should stay in the middle if the bike is moving and not sitting in the traffic and it was the case before. I only every see the temp move up to one or two line above if I sat in heavy traffic. Yes we just got warmer days in London this week! But, I am talking about 20 Celsius or less, this is London. I cant understand why the bike is hotter at my 11 miles to work! I check the oil. I assume the hot oil from the engine moves freely to the radiator? there cant be any fault in a valve restricting the oil flow by electronics? I check the oil level and it is good? Am I over cautious?

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts