BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to All,
I plan to carry out the next engine oil change, no problems just undo the drain plug and all is sweet, Or really is it.

What has interested me is the pipe that rises over the sight glass and the short rubber hose that connects to the lower side ( LHS) of the oil radiator.

THE DISCLAIMER : Now I am an old guy, so be gentle.

The pipe that bends over the sight glass is 2-3 inches above the oil radiator outlet ( bottom) and the engine block connection point.

So to an old fella, it would appear to me that the bottom 2-3 inches of oil in the oil radiator and the oil contained in the rubber hose and pipe up to the top of the oil inspection glass will NOT drain, ( perhaps just a little with the bike resting on the side stand.

Perhaps I am wrong, as I thought of replacing the solid hose clip connected to the bottom oil radiator with a removal hose clip, so as to completely drain all the oil. Thinking about this further, I became concerned about the short length of rubber hose and if it was possible to bend and remove it from the oil radiator without causing undue fatigue.

Well chaps and chapettes it is your turn to set this old fella straight...

Best wishes to all
John

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
You are right about some oil remaining and not draining oil. So what?
IMO, you're going to too much trouble for nothing. After removing the filter and drain plug, when oil stops dripping, re-install them and fill it with fresh oil. Check for leaks, GO RIDE, & worry about your retirement portfolio.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Clem,
Very quick of the mark.....
Many thanks, but interesting observation.
Regards
John

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you leave the bike on the side stand for a few minutes, most of the oil will drain back into the sump. Bike must be HOT from at least a 20 minute ride.

Any more messing would be counter productive.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts