Online manual states SAE 15W-50 API SJ / JASO MA2

Under seat engine decal states:
Classification SE or SF
Viscoscity in relation to outside temperature
SAE 10W-30,40, 50
SAE 15W40, 50
SAE 20W-40,50
(No Mention of JASO)

It's my understanding that JASO MA, MA2 deals with friction modifiers out of concern for wet clutches (shared with engine oil) and in part out of concern for not harming catalytic converter.

Mobil 1 15W-50 doesn't show a JASO rating.
But since automobiles have had catalytic converters from 1975, wouldn't this modern oil be formulated not to hurt catalytic converters? Aren't car cats and M/C cats similar?

It doesn't seem that this oil would hurt the catalytic converter just because it doesn't have the JASO ratings. I'm thinking it may pass the JASO testing, but Mobil may not have wasted their time, money getting the JASO rating test.

Just trying to justify using the Mobil1 15w-50 oil, but I don't want to jeopardize the catalytic converter on the bike.

That's it, not an oil thread

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's hard to imagine that any mass marketed modern motor* oil will damage cat converters. The trace metals that protected moving parts when air cooled motors got too hot for the oil went away decades ago.

*I apologize for the alliteration.

·
Registered
599 Posts
With motorcycles, you only need to worry about oil messing with a wet clutch. Catalytic converters have been ubiquitous for decades.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well picked up! I have been using Mobil 1 15W-50 in my 2010 model for years without issue. I recall a lengthy post (possibly another forum) where it was reported Mobil had dropped the level of a couple of elements (Zinc/moly?) in their oil range to reduce the potential for cat contamination ... I’ll see if I can locate it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oil sample website shows a 3/7/2019 analysis that says:" ..which now features an API SN Plus style additive package (lower Calcium levels)
Ca
lcium 9

1 - 5 of 5 Posts