BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty so tonight I emptied the engine oil to replace is with Motul 7100, and it took just about exactly 3.8 quarts with a filter change. To be fair I didn’t fully heat the engine and only warmed it and rechecked in the sightglass. After taking that amount of oil, it looked bang on.

Rode the bike around for about 15 minutes, heated it up all the way. Stopped it and put the bike on the side stand for a few minutes and then the center stand per BMW’s procedure, and the oil is filling the entire sight glass. If I lean the bike slightly to the side stand side I can see the top of the oil so I know it isn’t drastically overfilled but certainly above the red circle and to the top and above the actual sight glass itself.

Anyone know why it’s showing so full after only adding the recommended amount? Might the Ester blend 7100 expand differently than other oil? Should I remove the plug and drain the oil and refill it with less? Admittedly I’m afraid there’s too much in there!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
My simple solution would be to put it on the centrestand and loosen the drain plug - while engine is cool. Don’t remove the drain plug completely. Wriggle it while loose with your fingers. Hence doing it while cool. Drop about 100 ml (3-4 fl. ozs) and tighten the drain plug back up to correct torque value (42 Nm for LC engine). This is short cutting the seal ring replacement but that is what I’d do. A quick whip around the block then recheck the sight glass.
In metric land we need 4litres. According to my good friend Google, this is about 3.5 Imperial Qts or 4.2 US Qts. Maybe the 3.8 Qts is where the drama started?
It is not entirely clear to me why we have some anachronistic units of measure floating about, but I guess there is a very good reason that I am simply to thick to get.
Good luck.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Oh, and there is no way that the different blend inMotul would account for any visible difference in volume achieved through differing thermal properties. Differing UoM in temperature readings notwithstanding :)

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
Sounds like you didn’t change the filter so that would likely account for the slight overfill.

On an oil and filter change, I dump 3.8 litres into the bike and that’s pretty much the right level.

Reactions: BoxerTwinAtLast

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Probably the quarts us vs imperial issue indeed!

I did do the filter, hence why I was so surprised to see it showing high 😕

·
Registered
824 Posts
Was the engine warm when you drained the old oil? If not, it might not drain as much out; but if you were using 3.8 imperial quarts that would explain it.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about that slight an over fill. If you do loosen the drain plug to remove a little oil, you might have a leak at the plug if you don't put on a new crush washer. It might be better to remove the oil filter and pour a little out.

Reactions: Laharrier

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Charlie. Engine was all warmed up and definitely got a thorough drain. I think its because Motul measures their quarts in imperial and I just got a little careless. After a ride this morning however I through the bike on the center stand and the level was perfect. I think Ill just keep an eye on it and it and leave it if its all the same. If overfilled its only by a tiny amount. Probably not worth the hassle of undoing the bottom bolt and making a mess. Tanks guys! Youre the best

·
Registered
824 Posts
BTW, a good trick I picked up on a youtube video is to make a shield out of aluminum foil to keep oil off the exhaust pipe when removing the filter.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
BTW, a good trick I picked up on a youtube video is to make a shield out of aluminum foil to keep oil off the exhaust pipe when removing the filter.

Sounds like a Moto Guzzi V7 trick. They have two drains and the rear one opens on to a crossover as I recall. The foil worked well.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
few things
1) with that amount of "overfilling," I would do nothing but maybe be a bit more anal with the next oil change, ie warm the engine thoroughly, let it drain for a while (overnight??), change the filter --and you may have done the latter 2, but you admittedly did not do the first and that could be critical. Oil is made to cling onto surfaces, esp if "cold," and if you didn't get the engine HOT, spirited ride, etc., some of that clinging property will def be there and NOT drain out.

2) The Motul 7100 images I see show a 4liter jug---that is 1.05 US gallons. 4 liters is 4000cc; 1 US gallon aka 4 US quarts is 3785cc.

3) The typical filter, like the Mahle for example, holds ~~ 75 cc of oil

4) Without this devolving into an oil thread ;), one of the things I really like about using Shell Rotella T6 is that its "one gallon" size is spot on for our engines in that I don't even have to measure, just pour the whole gallon in and it's right on the mark. And it's good quality and inexpensive and widely available. That Motul stuff is over $64 a gallon??? Ouch!

5) quote the Clemster: Ride more, Worry less

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Go out for some spastic high-rev riding and that should burn off some "excess"!

Ride fast, take chances!

Reactions: BigFootPat

·
Registered
708 Posts
Just to add 2 cents worth to this subject. As an experiment in analness I drained my oil hot and left it overnight to drain and also tipped the bike over a bit this way and that a few times to see if i could get every bit out. Refilling I put 3.8 litres in then after running it and rechecking later I had to put another 200ml in. I fitted a new filter. So 4 litres all up and the oil level is about 10mm below the top of the sightglass.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
Just to add 2 cents worth to this subject. As an experiment in analness I drained my oil hot and left it overnight to drain and also tipped the bike over a bit this way and that a few times to see if i could get every bit out. Refilling I put 3.8 litres in then after running it and rechecking later I had to put another 200ml in. I fitted a new filter. So 4 litres all up and the oil level is about 10mm below the top of the sightglass.
What sorcery is this! :surprise:

·
Registered
254 Posts

Even after the drain, there’s probably some oil left in the valves etc. saw a video and noticed after a full drain, 300ml of oil was still left on the LHS and not much more on the RHS. Guys that have done the valve check and adjustment can attest to this. With you swinging and wringing the bike out, maybe just maybe you eked out another 200ml. As long as you’re between the min and the max, ride it and after a few days if it’s still low, add some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
824 Posts
... So 4 litres all up and the oil level is about 10mm below the top of the sightglass.
Just to be sure: You have the engine warmed up to normal operating temp, bike is on level ground on the center stand, and you are waiting 5 minutes. Note that the oil level is Max when at the top of the circle, not the top of the sight glass.

·
Registered
311 Posts
What sorcery is this! :surprise:

It's the Univeral Tip-the-bike-about Tune-up! !

Sticky gearchange? Easily fixed sir, just chuck it down the road!

Air in the coolant? We've a cure for that sir, chuck it down the road!

Can't drain all the oil out? No problem at all, chuck it down the road, job's a good 'un! :smile2:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Just to be sure: You have the engine warmed up to normal operating temp, bike is on level ground on the center stand, and you are waiting 5 minutes. Note that the oil level is Max when at the top of the circle, not the top of the sight glass.
good point! actually no I hadn't started the bike and waited 5 minutes, when I rechecked the level it was the next day. I'll do that and see where it's at

1 - 17 of 17 Posts