BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time caller-

So I used to ride bikes when I was much younger, in Ireland, mostly two stroke dirt bIkes, I had a very nice Yamaha IT175…

Tried a road bike for a while, a Yamaha RD350LC, that was a blast. At the time I remember looking at BMWs and thinking how overweight and underpowered they were.

Slow forward a long way, reaching my sixties and realizing that this was realistically the last decade I could reasonably expect to get back on a bike, I did some research and decided on a R1200R. Having moved to North Carolina in the meantime, I had to take a test; I had my license the next day, had the bike the next week, and was off on a trip within a month.

Across to the Outer Banks, then up the coast to New York, then Upstate, before turning around to return via Pa, Shenandoah, The Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Prkway. Last stop Ashville.

The Bike has been great, 2016 R1200R with Pro packages. Been out most weekends since, its lovely now that its cooled down a little.

I’ll probably read more than I post here, but just wanted to say hello, and thank you for the information I’ve gleaned so far…

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Dave in NE TN
1,375 Posts
Welcome to the forum Harry! You made a great choice with the R1200R LC! Hopefully you've found a friendly and informative group here.

Sounds like we're a bit alike. I'm 64, started as a teen in the dirt, once rode a wicked '72 Yamaha R5C (pre-RD350), and retired to NE Tennessee last year, sounds like right across the mountains from you.

Hopefully our 60s won't be our last decade of riding, I'm currently trying to get back to my dirt biking past with all the awesome trails around here - we don't quit riding because we get old, we get old because we quit riding.

Enjoy your new ride and the forum!

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Hopefully our 60s won't be our last decade of riding, I'm currently trying to get back to my dirt biking past with all the awesome trails around here - we don't quit riding because we get old, we get old because we quit riding.
My 60's are behind me and the only thing that's limited me in the past couple of years has been '19'. Well, that and the snow last night 🤪, plus taking care of my youngest grandkid every once in a while. Apparently, mom has banned me from taking him for a ride at least until his feet can reach the pegs.

People in nature Road surface Asphalt Yellow Grass

I'll get in a few more local rides this year, and be back at the long-distance stuff next spring.

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
178 Posts
Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time caller-

So I used to ride bikes when I was much younger, in Ireland, mostly two stroke dirt bIkes, I had a very nice Yamaha IT175…

Tried a road bike for a while, a Yamaha RD350LC, that was a blast. At the time I remember looking at BMWs and thinking how overweight and underpowered they were.

Slow forward a long way, reaching my sixties and realizing that this was realistically the last decade I could reasonably expect to get back on a bike, I did some research and decided on a R1200R. Having moved to North Carolina in the meantime, I had to take a test; I had my license the next day, had the bike the next week, and was off on a trip within a month.

Across to the Outer Banks, then up the coast to New York, then Upstate, before turning around to return via Pa, Shenandoah, The Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Prkway. Last stop Ashville.

The Bike has been great, 2016 R1200R with Pro packages. Been out most weekends since, its lovely now that its cooled down a little.

I’ll probably read more than I post here, but just wanted to say hello, and thank you for the information I’ve gleaned so far…

View attachment 113424 View attachment 113424
Welcome! Great photos of the bike!

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,787 Posts
Welcome Harry. You chose the correct colour, too. 😄

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm 73 and I bought my R1200R last April and I love it. I also have two other bikes that I get out of the garage too, a 2012 Kawaski Versys and a 1983 BMW R80RT. you've got lots of years to ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts