BMW R1200R Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP 2018 Triumph T120
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
After the first heat cycle... FAIL. I tried to follow directions to the T, but obviously it didn't work. Back to the drawing board. 👎

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Automotive fuel system Vehicle brake

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
399 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Oh well. It didn't work out. I'll have to figure on something else. I'll contact VHT to get their opinion.

It looked ok at first..lol

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
399 Posts
Oh well. It didn't work out. I'll have to figure on something else. I'll contact VHT to get their opinion.

It looked ok at first..lol
Do you need to replace gaskets every time you take the exhaust off?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Did you wipe down the header with acetone before application? Just checking, as if the surface is too smooth, and has ANY oils, the paint won't stick.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
No, I didn't use acetone. I used a degreaser and Dawn dish soap. I ran a second heat cycle and a little more is peeling off, closest to the exh port. I thought I cleaned it really well. Apparently not.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I was disappointed at first, but you know the saying, 'no balls, no blue chips'? Now I know how to r/r the exh manifold..lol

If the portion from the collector back stays like this, I might just wrap the header portion and call it a day.. We'll see.

Tire Wheel Crankset Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Banned
0 Posts
Hey Tima, now come your Akra has springs? My black one doesn't (it was one of the deal-breakers for me). Or maybe it's a different model? Does it have the 2 outlets, like mine? Just curious. Anyway, sorry all of your work didn't pay off. Not sure I'm right, since I'm not a painter, but that peeling looks at least in part like a lack of prep. You could give it a second try, cleaning everything perfectly, and finishing with alcohol (and gloves, of course). If not, you'd have to spend the money on a 'jet hot' coat. Good luck.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
My Akra has springs because it was originally bought for my Tiger. I modified it to fit this bike.

Still mulling over what I’m going to do with my pipe.

Edit 4/11 --- I was just informed Jet-Hot has received my exhaust. 4 weeks until it's ready to send back...will re-visit this then...🤚

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I received my header back from Jet Hot as promised. It looks eerily like my DIY attempt !!

I didn't think a second attempt by me was worthwhile. As it was, it cost me an extra $100 usd to have them strip off what I did. Live + learn is what we jack-of-all trade types do...

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle brake

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

61 - 75 of 75 Posts