BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several bikes which stay on an opti-mate thru our long winters. I'm looking at a new R1200R classic, which as you know uses can-bus. The part's manager was showing me an opti-mate 4, that they sell that's different than mine. He read some of the directions about switching back and forth between can-bus, and regular systems. The info was greek to me, something about shorting the leads, etc, etc.
Any of you using this unit that can tell me how easy it would be to use interchangably between bikes that aren't can-bus equiped.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Dear Rugeroid,
I was looking for an appropriate battery charger for my 2012 R12 and came upon the Optimate 4 by pure good luck.
I was so impressed that I also purchased the Opti mate 6 ( greater amperage for the car).
You will not be disappointed if you choose to purchase the optimate 4.

**Please check **

Further google searching indicated an Optimate model that would switch between 1 amp and / ? amp ( for the car). If I had been aware of this I would have purchased this unit only.

In regard to shorting out the clips ( read the manual carefully).
There is two modes of charging ( Optimate 4), one is for Canbus the other for Standard charging ( ie clips straight onto battery terminals).

To select Canbus mode :

WITHOUT the plug lead connected to the canbus socket ( left side of R12) and with the optimate turned ON, short out (touch) the alligator clips. You will see a light sequence, as per the manual, that will indicate if the unit is set up for Canbus or Standard.
Once the Canbus light sequence has been confirmed turn the Optimate OFF, remove the alligator clips on the short wire harness from the Optimate charging lead and substitute with the short lead containing the Canbus male connector.
Plug the Canbus connector into the bike and switch the power ON, all good.

By default the Optimate 4 unit is set up for Standard charging ( not Canbus), as I found out, without any dramas.
For you non Canbus bikes use the Standard setup, following the same clip touching and identify the Standard light sequence.
The Optimate 4 can be used for the car BUT it is very slow, that is why that switching unit would give you the best of both worlds ( assuming it is still available.)
NB My unit was 240V and 50Hz

I trust this may have been of some assistance.
Best regards
John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank's John, that's much more information than I got from the dealer's part's guy. I'm sure if I had purchased it, the directions would have been clear, but this is new to me, having never messed with a can-bus machine. Now, I guess the next step would be to actually BUY THE BIKE!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts