BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new here... I've heard cruising with an RPM around 4800 would have the best torque / hp. I've also heard from the dealer that cruising at that RPM is best.

When I watch youtube videos of some of the best BMW riders, they tend to ride the r1200 around 3000.

Is this a mistake on their part, or is 4800 too high, or are both acceptable cruising RPMs.

Again, I'm sorry, but I'm new to this forum and relatively new to riding BMW motorcycles, coming from a Harley Streetbob.

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
545 Posts
I cruise around 4500 to 5000 range, and would recommend that. 3000 seems very low to me…certainly doable and won’t lug the engine, but far from optimal. 4500ish keep the bike spritely, and the R should be a spritely ride. If one’s version is the 1250R, 5K offers the performance bonus of being the point at which, under load, the cams shift and useable torque is sustained for another 3000/3500 rpm. If 5K as a sweet spot is good enough for BMW’s engineers, it’s good enough for me.

EDIT: When I mentioned “cruise” I meant just fun semi-spirited but relaxed riding on slightly curvy country roads. But if the OP meant highway cruising then whatever normal rpms are achieved through fifth or sixth gear…if that’s 3K, then so be it…as long as you’re not lugging it and have adequate power on tap to pass or effect sudden safety maneuvers, you’re good to go.

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,568 Posts
Spirited cruising should be done in the 4-6K range to provide sufficient tq/hp, suspension loading and engine braking for spirited maneuvers. Regular cruising around 3K is perfectly fine. The BMW Boxer Twin like the Harley Big Twin has plenty of torque available down low in the rev range.

For just cruising recommend you just choose the gear and speed you want and don't worry about it, let your ear and your butt be your guide. It's a flexible engine, it'll lug or scream with equal ease.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
456 Posts
For R1250R 3,000 RPM is half asleep. Here's my non-expert observation: when I'm using cruise control on a 40+ mile non-stop stretch of the highway I take periodically, engine stays between 4K and 5.5 RPM at 70-80 MPH in 6th gear. Engine has plenty of torque to go up several miles of incline without much revving-up (cruise control take care of that), and I have ample headroom for overtakes should I need to.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,388 Posts
There’s nothing wrong with pootling along at low rpm. The 1200LC has a change-up indicator that you can turn on, intended for achieving best fuel economy. Turn this on and you’ll get a feel for what the engine (ECU) expects.

Of course if you want to accelerate hard, then higher rpm are advisable, but the 1200LC is comfortable punting smartly out of 60-80km/h corners from 3500rpm, I’ve found. The 1250, even more so.

·
Registered
924 Posts
EDIT: When I mentioned “cruise” I meant just fun semi-spirited but relaxed riding on slightly curvy country roads. But if the OP meant highway cruising then whatever normal rpms are achieved through fifth or sixth gear…if that’s 3K, then so be it…as long as you’re not lugging it and have adequate power on tap to pass or effect sudden safety maneuvers, you’re good to go.
Yes. When I do curvy roads, no less than 3K and considering upshifting at 5K. The length of straight road before me, expected turns, incline/decline, sustainable speed, etc. all factor in. I want power on demand but also able to use engine braking rather than touch my brakes.

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
159 Posts
... Engine has plenty of torque to go up several miles of incline without much revving-up...
An engine with fixed transmission will never rev up to maintain speed.

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
159 Posts

·
Registered
R1250R
892 Posts
I dunno, maybe cruise means something else in the states.

My understanding is that it means, in terms of motoring, or motorcycling, travelling at a constant and reasonably relaxed speed.

So if I go on the motorway I’m hoping to get to a nice cruising speed.

A real word 70mph would do nicely. As for RPM, whatever that is in 6th gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys! Follow up question... in general, from what I understand, the engine is running fine / healthy between 3k - 5k when cruising. Which RPM is most fuel-efficient, or is there little difference between 3k and 5k in fuel consumption?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
545 Posts
Thanks guys! Follow up question... in general, from what I understand, the engine is running fine / healthy between 3k - 5k when cruising. Which RPM is most fuel-efficient, or is there little difference between 3k and 5k in fuel consumption?

Thanks guys.
Generally speaking, to whatever degree the engine is working less, the less fuel will be required. That said, the nominal economic difference between 3K and 5K could probably only be realized on a very, very long trip, and that savings might be enough to get you a latte at Starbucks. Maybe.

I’d say don’t sweat the small stuff…enjoy the new bike, and just ride it at the rpms that feel right to you and, importantly, bring joy and satisfaction in your new purchase. Practicality has its place, but above all motorcycling should be fun.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

Thanks guys.
I've been spending a lot of time cruising recently, at a variety of speeds, both on freeways and back-county farm roads. I played a little with the cruise control and the active and averaging MPG calculators on the bike, and can report that the best average fuel economy is at 60mph in 6th gear. Without a headwind, I was able to achieve over 50mpg average on roads with hills and easy corners, with it showing over 80mpg at times. Below that, hills loaded it higher and reduced the average, and higher than that and the average decreased immediately. With a headwind, it dropped back towards 45mpg. These experiments were performed on backroads in Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, and Minnesota. Getting on the freeways reduced mileage into the low-40's at sustained 65+mph stretches, with it dropping into the 30's over 75.

·
Registered
115 Posts
as a rule I don't generally look at either the speedometer or Tachometer. I'll look at the speedo coming into a town and reduced speeds, so as not to get a ticket, but on the road I ride the road, head up, eyes ahead.

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
456 Posts
I've been spending a lot of time cruising recently, at a variety of speeds, both on freeways and back-county farm roads. I played a little with the cruise control and the active and averaging MPG calculators on the bike, and can report that the best average fuel economy is at 60mph in 6th gear. Without a headwind, I was able to achieve over 50mpg average on roads with hills and easy corners, with it showing over 80mpg at times. Below that, hills loaded it higher and reduced the average, and higher than that and the average decreased immediately. With a headwind, it dropped back towards 45mpg. These experiments were performed on backroads in Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, and Minnesota. Getting on the freeways reduced mileage into the low-40's at sustained 65+mph stretches, with it dropping into the 30's over 75.
interesting Info if you need to hyper-mile for some reason. I can’t help myself to open it up sometimes, even for a few seconds to wake up in the morning. Works as good as a cup of coffee, if not better.

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Being out of my home state I've been sticking within 5 mile of local limits where there wasn't enough yraffic to indicate otherwise (like Chicago was flowing much faster...)

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I forget what revs are in 6th at 70, probably 3000. I will keep it there and if I need more out of it, I downshift. I would never keep it at 5000 on the highway or around town unless I’m at WOT wailing it. It has plenty of low end torque.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Wait’ll you head back west. In my experience crossing N America, mileage drops when you go west. I figure it has to do with prevailing winds.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Wait’ll you head back west. In my experience crossing N America, mileage drops when you go west. I figure it has to do with prevailing winds.
Yeah - heading west towards Cedar Rapids from Chicago there was more headwind. That's where I noted the drop. I'm glad I have the shield, as going by some of those oncoming flat-nosed semis you can really take a big hit in the wind... Ducking behind the screen is much more comfortable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts