BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ESA and ASC. Are they worthwhile options? Anyone have them and what are your experiences. If you have had experience with them would you recommend them?

RonL

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had both on my previous RT and have both on my K1600. Did not order them on my R1200R but wish I had. Not a deal breaker but nice.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
+1 Got them both. Think you'll get a 50:50 split response on this querry. Depends on how and where you ride. Better if you switch from solo to 2-up w/heavy panniers often, and roads go from highway to knarly and back several times a day.
I have ridden in the snow a bit, and my son likes the throttle while leaned way over much more than I do. Money well spent for me.
http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/traction-control-explained-91272.html
You can switch the ASC on/off yourself. Your dealer can turn the ESA link off, and you can fit regular shocks later if you want.
Manual aftermarket shocks are probably better for the track. If the bike load never changes much, save your money. Also, electronics can go south.YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I have the 2012 Classic with ABS and ASC. Those are big deal safety turn-ons for me; two of the reasons why I really like this bike. Driving through the pouring rain on a Chicago highway at night is pretty amazingly OK on this bike.

On the other hand, I don't really think it's a big deal to open the seat and turn a knob to adjust the suspension. Not worth the $$ for ESC for the kind of riding I do.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
My 2012 Classic came with ASC but not ESA. My load doesn't change much day to day so ,for me, not having ESA is no biggie. I did want ASC for the safety. I ride a lot in the rain and some snow, bad roads etc. Until a few weeks ago, at about 18,000 miles, I thought ASC was the cat's meow; never a slip of the rear wheel. Then, a block away from the Motorcycle show in New York, on a cold night, going straight on a chewed up City street, of a sudden, the rear wheel hit a patch of gravel and slid out like I was on ice- Now was the tome for ASC to work its magic; cold tires on gravel. ASC did nothing. I asked the dealer how it was that it worked so well for so long keeping the grip in horrible conditions, leans in the rain, over hill and dale, slabs, twisties and city streets, winter, summer, spring and fall-and then disappeared just like that going straight and not terribly fast or hard on throttle.. He said, it wasn't the ASC that kept the rear wheel from losing traction in the past- the ASC doesn't begin to kick in until the wheel loses its grip and begins to spin out. It didn't need to kick in in the past because i never broke traction. it didnt kick in when I needed it. So for me- not worth he money.

·
Registered
171 Posts
ABS, I love it. It saved my azz a couple times on my RT.

ASC, well the jury is still out.

No wheelies. It kicks in when the front tire is not accelerating the same as the rear. I too had a corner I went around in the city. Cranked the throttle and the rear wheel spun. ASC did nothing. I backed off on the throttle ad saved my own azz.

Going straight forward on gravel, hit the throttle and it works, but eh........

My first thought was its not a 190 HP SSR, so I don't really need it. I have not seen it work yet to help control the bike in 6400 miles. It was part of a package that came on the ONLY 2112 RED R in new york state. I bought the bike anyhow.

David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another options question. Rather than starting another thread.

On board computer. Is this a standard feature or is it an option? Is it useful?

RonL

·
Registered
171 Posts
The on board computer is part of a package. It figures fuel mileage. Mine does well. The computer depends sole on your fuel gauge for its accuracy on miles to empty.

It figures MPG by injecter pulse time and mine is quite accurate. It will also flash the thermometer if it gets below 37*f to warn you of possible ice.

Average speed, average MPG, both can be reset any time.

Miles left to empty and NOW MPG are also figured by the on board computer. I think that is all it does.

David

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I like the idea of having ABS and ASC but like to think with my gentle style of riding I'll never need them. But you never know when an idiot in a box is going to pull out on you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts