BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
assumption is that you will not ride on track, just streets and you can do what ever modifications you choose...

s1000rr or k1300s???? and why?

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Ducati Diavel Strada, Triumph Rocket 3 tourer, Zero electric

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dr dave good choices..........but the options are bmw s1000rr or k1300s........if you had to choose one

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Psilitsky, I'll stick with the 1200. The S makes you stare at the asphalt and the K weighs a ton. :)

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Dodging the question, sort-of - Ducati Hyperstrada - unridden as yet (not yet available here in Oz) but I have one on order. Red, of course...

L of S

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
LofS. . isn't the Hyperstrada something like 7 feet off the ground, or is that just the Hypermotard? :)

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
LofS. . isn't the Hyperstrada something like 7 feet off the ground, or is that just the Hypermotard? :)
LOL! No - that's my previous GS!!! Hyperstrada as ordered has a seat height of only 810mm, much the same as my R.

L of S

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Well tell us how you like it when you get it. :)

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
The Ducati Multistrada (1200cc - GS equivalent) has seat height of 850mm, I believe. My nose would bleed at that height!

L of S

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
The Ducati Multistrada (1200cc - GS equivalent) has seat height of 850mm, I believe. My nose would bleed at that height!

L of S
I hear oxygen masks are a optional extra!;)and a pack of 'Dexamethasone'.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
s1000rr or k1300s???? and why?

While YOU'RE buying and I'm dreaming,
One HP4 with all the bells and whistles, please.
Couldn't fold my body up for long enough to ride it, but I could get another nice Roadster when I let it go.
I agree with drDave. The long K1300 I rode was straight-line fast,
but it's an H2. Heavy & Hot! No thank you.
In NC mtns, solo riders being equal, a 1000cc bike will make the K work hard for it's supper.
Two-up,sweepers,or I-40 to California,the big K w/panniers gets the nod.
(but then so does the K1600)YMMV

·
Registered
265 Posts
Assuming I still get to own the R1200R, I would go with the S1000rr I suppose since it would presumably be the most different.

·
Registered
338 Posts

L of S
I had one as a loaner for two days while my R1200 was in for the 6000 mile service. I absolutely loved it. The engine never stopped pulled, although required a lot more rpm to get it moving but once it did it was a rocket. I'd like one but the $22K price is a bit steep.

Some pics I took of it in my garage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I had to swap my '12 R1200R for a different bike (and money was no object) it would come down to these four: R1200RT, Triumph Street Triple R, Kawasaki Ninja 1000, and Honda CB1100.

The R1200RT would make for a better second bike than a one-and-only for me, but I sure would love to have one for touring. I wouldn't particualrly want it around town or on my sport rides, though, which is why I opted for the R1200R in the first place: it does it all.

So, as a one-and-only replacement, I would have said that the Honda CB1100 was my first choice...but that was before I owned the R1200 for a decent while. Now that I have in fact had it for about seven months, I'm not sure that I would be satisfied overall with the laid-back Honda. I suspect that in comparison to the BMW it simply gives up too much in terms of performance.

The Triumph? I passed on it when I bought the BMW for the same reason I would probably pass on it now: too narrowly focused. Just as the R1200RT would be a bit limiting to me, so too would the Street Triple R. It would likely be my first choice for sport riding, but I do too many 400-mile days and long weekend trips. I would miss the convenience of the hard bags, heated grips, and shaft drive.

So, I suppose I would probably look first at the Ninja 1000. The seating position is comfortable enough (for me, anyway) to tour, factory hard bags and heated grips are available, and it has a bit more performance than what I already have.

That being said, I don't think I would trade my R1200R for one. I fear that I would grow out of the big Ninja. I have no similar fears concerning my BMW. I feel like I could own this one forever and it will always remain cool to me.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
If I only had those 2 choices, I'll go with the S. I'm not a fan of the K one, unless you are doing some long trips then the K1600 is perfect.

On other note, I really want to take the new honda grom out for a spin, looks like to much fun. Weights 225 pounds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts