BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Looks like my first service had the oil overfilled a bit. Immediately after stopping the engine and putting the bike on the center stand the sight glass is full. I haven't run the engine on the center stand to see if the glass depletes or not.

Is there any easy way to drain some oil? I don't think I can siphon any from the filler cap. The only other option I can think is to drain it all and refill with the right amount.

Thanks!

·
Registered
800 Posts
It should be ok. When I've changed mine and the filter I put in exactly 4 Liters and it looks to be past the top of the sight glass. but after a while it settles in and I'll see a tiny sliver at the top of the glass.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Drain it and make a mess if you want to. Here's what Bob & I would do. Go for a long ride to the far side of the next county. Find a good bar, order a cold one, leave a big tip and the Corvette keys lying there, and see if you're lucky. If not, take a stroll, a different windy road home, and at least the oil in the sight glass will have miraculously cured itself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure how burning up oil in the Corvette will help with the R1200R :). Point taken.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0490&mospid=53242&btnr=11_4200&hg=11&fg=11
This is the DOHC engine block. Note the oil level indicator window.
It's just above the top of the oil filter. Moving parts and seals are above it.
The red ring from bottom to top is about 500cc of oil.
Slight overfilling is not going to present a huge problem. IMO
If you slightly tilt the machine over to the right and can see the top of the oil level in the sight glass, you're good to go.

Another cutaway view.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I'm not sure how burning up oil in the Corvette will help with the R1200R :). Point taken.
I think you have to ride the bike, and forget your Vette keys at the bar, so that way you'll have to go back to the bar, at that point the oil level might be fine, or you might need to put more. Don't relly know how far that bar at the end of the country is.

And agree with Bob and Clem, don't worry to much about it, just go out and ride the thing.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Drain it and make a mess if you want to. Here's what Bob & I would do. Go for a long ride to the far side of the next county. Find a good bar, order a cold one, leave a big tip and the Corvette keys lying there, and see if you're lucky. If not, take a stroll, a different windy road home, and at least the oil in the sight glass will have miraculously cured itself.
Someone might be poking fun at my sincere appreciation of the artistic merits of the well executed tramp stamp and it's effects on a Corvette dipstick. :alucard:

Now, it's bike week 60 miles from here... so I may test some theories in the morning. Hopefully there will be no film at 11. Hopefully, my loss of dignity will be no more severe than the Mighty R's loss of oil...

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
I have no idea what you're talking about there Bob. :D
Daytona Bike Week March 8-17 ? OMG!!!
Sounds like you're going to be the busy one.:cowboy:
No film at 11? LOL. Fingers crossed.
I would love to go. Has anyone seen the keys to the Vette?
Left them laying right here! What?!!! BOB took 'em? :cursing:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Overfilled? Check here:

I used to fill to the top of the circle in the site glass until seeing oil seepage on the seam of the air box on the throttle side. Now I fill to the center of the glass. Because oil expands with heat, I tend to top up at the end of a ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts