BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Frau Panzer and I kicked off on our 12 day tour of the alpine areas of Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and France.
The GS is pretty tall, and the front end feels completely different in corners to the Panzer, but I’ll adapt, and it is so good to be behind the bars in southern Germany.
More to follow!
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,641 Posts
Livin' The Dream!!

Enjoy the GS.

Cheers!! Dave

Reactions: Panzermann

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The owner of the dealership that provided the hire bike has an awesome collection of Boxers, including all from the original R80.
They also do tribute RS and R90S models based on the R nineT.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

Fuel tank Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2015 R1200R LC
111 Posts
Wow - color me envious!!

If you have a chance to see a band called The Heimatdamisch, jump at it. They are from Southern Bavaria - I think Bad Tölz - and they are awesome!

Looking forward to lots of pictures!

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,641 Posts
Amazing collection.

Not crazy about the classic RS fairing on the 'contemporary' RNineT chassis though, weird and rather fugly mismatch to me.

Thanks for sharing! Enjoy your trip. Pics or it didn't happen! ;)

Cheers! Dave

Reactions: pbansen

·
Registered
2015 R1200R LC
111 Posts
Not crazy about the classic RS fairing on the 'contemporary' RNineT chassis though, weird and rather fugly mismatch to me.
I completely agree with your assessment on the aesthetics, but I have to hand it to them - it looks like it rolled off the assembly line that way! Looks seamless and the paint is terrific!

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The RS does look a lot better in the flesh but still somewhat front-heavy aesthetics.

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday morning was wet so we waited until after lunch before heading off on a loop in the shadow of the alps. Frau Pz and I spent the time productively wandering around the historic walled village of Schongau.
With the weather cleared, we headed southwest ending up at Fussen near Schloss Neuschwanstein. The latter and its road approaches crawl with tourists these days so we observed the palace from afar and stopped by the shores of the Forggensee for refreshments.
The GS is perfect for this role, comfortable and roomy. Gear change is lighter in action than my 2015R although the Shift Assist isn’t as smooth. Drive seems to ‘bounce’ off the damper in the driveline. Throttle action seems slower too, even on Dynamic Pro. I’m getting used to the feel of the Telelever.
There’s only one other client bike on the tour, an RT. Rob is a former policeman and struggles a bit I think with the concept of exceeding speed limits, which is acceptable here in moderation outside town limits. He also finds the RT a bit of a handful in the twisties so drops back a bit. We keep a modest pace so he can catch up on straights. The looming twin rings of the RT always startle me a bit - I subconsciously think it’s a policeman - and I’m right!
Off to Austria today through our first mountain pass!
(Pics are in random order as I did them as a group on my phone - tedious to do singly)
Building Window Tree Natural landscape Highland

Cloud Water Sky Water resources Plant

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Plant

Cloud Mountain Sky Plant Natural landscape

Building Window House Tree Hat

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Cloud Car

Smile Glasses Table Tableware Furniture

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today we covered our first real Alpine pass, the Hahntennjoch in Austria. Extraordinary scenery cut by a well paved winding ribbon of well paved bitumen. The GS handled it with aplomb, two-up with panniers and top case. After a coffee at Imst, our overnight stay, I headed back to the summit solo, just for (more) fun.

En route, we passed by the picturesque Plansee after visiting the grounds of Schloss Linderhof - the latter not as extensive as, say, Versailles, but nevertheless exquisite.

Cloud Wheel Sky Tire Plant

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Sky Cloud Plant Mountain Tree

Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Mountain

Cloud Sky Mountain Vehicle Automotive tire

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It’s been pretty full-on with riding and touristing so I won’t have an opportunity to do a blow by blow description of each day, but I’ll thrown in a random collection of photos.
Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Natural landscape

Cloud Plant Sky Mountain Nature

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape

Cloud Mountain Sky Plant Natural landscape

Cloud Water Sky Mountain Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Ecoregion

Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Fuel tank

Cloud Sky Mountain Natural landscape Plant

Sky Cloud Tire Mountain Wheel

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Loading photos via my phone seems to be a bit flaky

Reactions: mikeS

·
Super Moderator
3,262 Posts
Looks fabulous PZ and I'm so envious it's not funny. Enjoy M8 and you'll probably want to trade in your old banger LC on a GS when you get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panzermann
1 - 20 of 44 Posts