BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looks fabulous PZ and I'm so envious it's not funny. Enjoy M8 and you'll probably want to trade in your old banger LC on a GS when you get back.
You should absolutely do it, Mike! I was only saying to Frau Panzer yesterday that you would love it. They have various bike choices (BMW) including the 1250R

Having ridden the GS for five days now, I truly get why it is so popular, even for those who never take a gravel road. It is the supreme Alpine express, the Telelever readily soaking up the inevitable road irregularities, while still providing enough feel in the front to attack corners with gusto. I’ve occasionally been using all the tread on the confidence inspiring Tourance Nexxt tyres. Erwin Martin’s 17” front wheel conversion makes a lot of sense for those who don’t go off road.

I’ve even become a fan of the Keyless Ride. Yes, it’s true!! On this type of trip, where you’re getting off the bike frequently to look at sights, it’s great to be able to simply press the on/off button, walk away, then walk up to the bike and press the button again. No pocketing the key, then pulling it out again.

The Roadster might be a better carver, but when riding into unknown unknowns, the extra flickability isn’t utilised. And it already comes with a decent screen, rather than spend your ownership optimising air flow on your Roadster, and the ergos are roomy. I’m not about to divorce the Panzer, but if a truck happened to back over it, I may well be tempted to defect - my legs are long enough to comfortably handle it (just) …

Reactions: mikeS and dbyker

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
There are so many bikes out and about in the Alps this time of year and almost all oncoming riders will issue a greeting as they approach.
The universal form is to extend the left hand and arm at 45° downwards, which loosely translates to, ‘Aren’t I a lucky ******* cruising around the Alps in summer.’ The correct response is to make the same hand/arm gesture, meaning ’Yeah, me too.’

·
Super Moderator
3,262 Posts
You should absolutely do it, Mike! I was only saying to Frau Panzer yesterday that you would love it. They have various bike choices (BMW) including the 1250R

Having ridden the GS for five days now, I truly get why it is so popular, even for those who never take a gravel road. It is the supreme Alpine express, the Telelever readily soaking up the inevitable road irregularities, while still providing enough feel in the front to attack corners with gusto. I’ve occasionally been using all the tread on the confidence inspiring Tourance Nexxt tyres. Erwin Martin’s 17” front wheel conversion makes a lot of sense for those who don’t go off road.

I’ve even become a fan of the Keyless Ride. Yes, it’s true!! On this type of trip, where you’re getting off the bike frequently to look at sights, it’s great to be able to simply press the on/off button, walk away, then walk up to the bike and press the button again. No pocketing the key, then pulling it out again.

The Roadster might be a better carver, but when riding into unknown unknowns, the extra flickability isn’t utilised. And it already comes with a decent screen, rather than spend your ownership optimising air flow on your Roadster, and the ergos are roomy. I’m not about to divorce the Panzer, but if a truck happened to back over it, I may well be tempted to defect - my legs are long enough to comfortably handle it (just) …
You're not helping my green-eyed monster feeling, PZ. Absolutely fabulous
M8.

Oh, and just as an aside - what colour are you thinking for your new keyless ride GS? Enjoy and keep the pix coming for my fellow dreamers on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Panzermann

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Headed up the Cormet de Roselend with Frau Panzer on Sunday, after a sporting solo run on Saturday - well timed as everyone in France was there on Sunday. We took some picnic supplies and found a shady spot near the creek line.

Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Tree

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Mountain Sky

Bottle Mountain Drinkware Liquid Wine

Water Cloud Sky Mountain Natural landscape

Mountain Sky Plant Plant community Natural landscape

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Heading out of France and into Italy

Sky Mountain Tire Vehicle Wheel

Sky Mountain Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Sky Wheel Plant Automotive tire

Helmet Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motorcycle helmet

Once of the many dummy speed camera bollards in Italy.

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sky Mountain Tire Wheel Plant

Mont Blanc, viewed from Italy

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Property Vehicle

GS tucked up in bed in a 400yo building now used as a BnB.
Plant Sky Property Building Window

Plant Building Botany Leaf Vegetation

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,641 Posts
Reactions: Panzermann

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Today was a big day for passes (almost passed out? 🤪)
First we climbed to Malojapass (1815m), with the tightest and most frequent
hairpins anywhere. This climb has the highest elevation-gain to distance ratio in all of Europe.
Back into Switzerland and through Saint Moritz. Sweeping, flowing high Swiss valley riding before yet another up-and-over, the Ofenpass Pass dal Fuorn (2149m).
Then on to the Bernina-Livigno-Foscargno-Stelvio combination before overnighting in Stelvio Stilfs.

Land vehicle Sky Vehicle Fuel tank Cloud

Cloud Sky Mountain Building Window

Cloud Sky Mountain Slope Road surface

Plant Natural landscape Larch Tree Vegetation

Cloud Water Tire Sky Wheel

Cloud Sky Mountain Infrastructure Road surface

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Land vehicle

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Our last pass for the day was the famed Stelvio. I wouldn’t say it’s the best riding ever, being essentially a series of interconnected hairpins, but it is certainly spectacular, and we ‘got the tee shirt’ (literally, at one of the many tourist shops at the top).
Our ascent was marred by an accident involving a cyclist so we waited half an hour or so in the sun while he was treated on the hot bitumen and loaded into an ambulance.

Sky Cloud Mirror Goggles Sunglasses

Cloud Plant Sky Plant community Mountain

Sky Mountain Natural landscape Highland Cloud

Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Mountain Slope Bedrock

Cloud Sky Mountain Slope Bedrock

Cloud Sky Mountain Slope Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Mountain Azure Natural landscape

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
With our motorbiking trip winding down, we had only two passes on Thursday, interspersed with impossibly green valleys as we passed through the German speaking part of Italy into Austria, and ending up at Innsbruck. Our two climbs were Jaufenpass (2480m), then the historic Brennerpass (1375m).
Our day started with some bandaging after a stationary topple with the GS at the end of the Stelvio pass. Frau Panzer and I had stopped to take photos and I thought it’d be nice to have one with her by the bike. Why not on the bike, I thought out loud in my exuberance. It was a thoughtless suggestion by me as I didn’t think to get her to do what every biker does when alighting - hold the front brake lever. The slack in the drivetrain as she got on board was enough to rock the bike off the sidestand. 😕
Her calm plaintiff calls saying she couldn’t hold the bike didn’t register as I faffed around with the phone’s camera changing it from pano to regular photo, and the whole shebang crashed to the bitumen, to the shock of both of us. Tellingly, my first instinct was to pick the bike up to get it off the carriageway before attending to my poor injured wife. She still loves me, but maybe a close call … 😳
We’re thinking it’s just bruising - two of our company were RN’s and they don’t believe anything is broken. But I knew it was a heavy fall when Frau Panzer accepted a Schnapps offered at our nearby accommodation to settle the shock and pain (a traditional first aid measure in that part of the world). She normally strongly rejects anything stronger than a glass of wine.
Meine Frau managed OK for the remaining two days with me trying to avoid any strong braking, sudden movement, bumps etc but we’ll need to take care in crowds on the remainder if our travels lest someone bump her injured arm.

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Standing with sleeves akimbo (left arm tucked away in a sling under her jacket)
Cloud Sky Mountain Natural landscape Highland

Our route down from the Jaufenpass
Sky Cloud Plant Mountain Slope

Our route up the Jaufenpass
Plant Flag Tree Sky Grass

Astride the Italian/Austrian border

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

At our lunch stop on the Italian/Austrian border. I think i can see why it won’t start …

Reactions: r0ckrat and dbyker

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Our final biking day was a relaxing wind down through Austrian/German back roads to our start point at Schongau.
On the way we stopped by the Kochelsee for kaffee und kuchen (Zwetschgenkuchen being my choice - plum topped tart 👌) before taking a short but biker-favoured route over to the Walchensee.
Our last rest break was at Hohenpeissenberg to take in the vista and some refreshments.
When we arrived at Schongau, we felt like we were home. An adventure of a lifetime completed. Thank you to my darling wife for the prompting to do it (and for forgiving me for suggesting the ill-fated photo). ❤ 🥰
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Plant

Clothing Furniture Shoe Table Car

Water Water resources Boat Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

Water Boat Water resources Vehicle Sky

Water Cloud Sky Building Wood

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Food Ingredient Liquid Recipe Fluid

A wasp lure at the Hohenpeissenberg - to help keep them off the patrons
Plant Cloud Sky Natural landscape Tree

View from Hohenpeissenberg
Sky Plant Cloud Tree Natural landscape

Typical farmhouse of the region, with dairy to the rear of the house and fodder storage in the wooden section above. Share the warmth in winter. You have to love your cows though…

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The process of handing back the bikes took ages. I was finally presented with a bill for €305 for the scuffed valve cover and new gasket. I was a bit miffed having to pay €50 for the gasket, knowing that they essentially last the life of the bike, but it was already getting late, the technician was way out back and spoke only German, and my limited German wasn’t going to cut it (zwei bier bitte …). They didn’t apply a labour charge, and neither did they charge for a replacement ignition cover (slightly marked) so I suppose I break even anyway. The cover won’t be replaced until the bike finished duty as a hire hack, so the next hirer gets a freebie if he/her does the same as me given the cover is already scuffed. I got off lightly with bike damage anyway - less so Frau Panzer, who is still struggling with an aching and fragile arm.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

A bonus from hanging around the dealership when handing back the hire bike was the opportunity for a private viewing of Georg Martin’s personal collection.
It includes an R80GS to Hans Muth’s original vision, built five years ago to celebrate 40 years of GS in collaboration with Muth, a personal friend of Georg and who, in his 80’s likes to spend time up at the dealership with Georg and his bikes. Along with the extra special bikes, there’s a sofa, memorabilia and some nice bottles of single malt down in the climate controlled Keller.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
In 1985 BMW commissioned Martin to build 10 of these K100 based bikes. Georg Martin has two of them.
Vehicle Wheel Tire Hood Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Georg Martin’s collection includes a number of brand new classics. Never registered.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

21 - 40 of 44 Posts