BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
2020 R1250R HP 2018 Triumph T120
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In looking at these parts as one, the colors began to not look right to me. The silver of the headlight cover did not quite match that of the SS parts. I started to wonder what these would look like in black. I thought it might help to highlight the white frame also. A little too much mismatch of color imo.

So I wanted to try painting them black, but be able to reverse it if it came out like crap. It may be construed as sacrilegious on a Beemer, but I decided to try Plasi-Dip for the 1st time ever. I rate myself as the 'world's worst painter', so the fact I could peel it off later was appealing.

This is what I started with......Amazon.com: Plasti Dip Luxury Metal Spray, 2, 11oz Cans with Cangun Trigger (Black Sapphire): Automotive

This is how the headlight cover came out,

Since this came out looking ok I ordered 4 more cans to do the SS pieces. I think I got some bad dip because this stuff did not set up right and came out terrible. Looks ok until you get up close. The SS parts will need to be redone.

This at least gives me an idea how it'll look. I think I like the change....

Registered
You're right, nice changes.

Ride on!

Reactions: tima

Registered
I've been wanting to change the color of my headlight cover to black for a long time, while keeping it reversible.

I was hesitating between plasti dip, which is easy to apply but somewhat easily scratched or damaged, and vinyl covering, more difficult to apply but more durable.

Also black plasti dip only comes in mat finish...

I may give a try anyway.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dip color I used was 'Black Sapphire', which I believe is darker than matte. The good part though is you can peel it right off.

I'm experimenting now to see how I like it. I haven't made up my mind on a final finish yet. I originally thought of wrapping them.

Registered
I like the look of that with the white.

I used Plasti-dip on my Thunder Grey bike for the same reason - the silver headlight surround just looks wrong to me. I also did the rear footpeg hangers and the exhaust shroud/cover thing.
Like you, I did it as a temporary, or reversible trial to see how it looks. I prefer it over the standard silver, but haven't moved on to a more permanent change like paint or powder coat. I used Plast-dip 'Glossifier' over the black on the headlight surround and it made it look shiny, but a bit cheap looking. Eventually I'll redo it in just black, although I did promise myself to do that 5 years ago! I've also found that water marks show really badly on the Plasti-dip unless I dry them immediately, which is OK for washing, but tends to make things look pretty rubbish with the slightest bit of rain, even if it was just parked and got a bit wet. This can be easily fixed with a quick wipe of silicon spray.
Two other points of note are that the exhaust cover doesn't get hot enough to bother the Plasti-dip, and that bits that get damaged like from boots rubbing on peg hangers, can be touched up invisibly in seconds - the new Plasti-dip dissolves the old and it blends perfectly.

I don't have a particularly good photo that shows things as well as yours, this is all I have.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your tips Porl. I figured I couldn't have been the only one to do this. I've seen the glossifier but haven't tried it yet. I'm leaning more towards a satin finish I think...

Your bike looks 'ready to roll' !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts