BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have them?

Pics please, I have a RED R and think it would look great. Thinking of sending them out. I found a place that wouldmatch the paint.

Paint shipped to me $250.00
Paint my valve covers if I ship them $300.00.

I would like to see a pic of one.

David

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
what he ^^^^ said.

There have been discussions of that elsewhere and the recs were for engine enamel to BBQ paint. Not a whole lot of selection there, but maybe that's what's needed to withstand the heat??? Don't know. But powder coating should be considered, and from an aesthetics viewpoint, I see nothing wrong with a contrasting color.

On my piedmont red 1150 I considered, but never did, a semigloss dark charcoal, similar in color to the black plastic. Ultimately I decided I liked the silver just fine.

John

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the dealer said they can do it, I hope its been done before. Not too worried about the heat. Its valve cover ,not cylinder. It probably will not get over oil temp which I GUESS is about 225*f.

I was looking for pics. Now that riding season is here, turn around time will be important. I am going to write back and ask about the temp and how long it will take. Also wanting a Parabellum Scout color matched.

This is the Email I got back.
David,

We could paint them for you at a cost of $300 plus return shipping. Or we can supply you with the paint to have it done locally.
This is a 3 stage color - base coat, transparent intermediate coat and clear top coat. We can provide a pint kit, which would have 1/2 pint of each color, clear, hardener for the clear and reducer for the color.
The pint kit is $244.25 plus $25 s/h.

If you'd like to place an order please call us at 74-593-6690.

I think its HOLT BMW.

This winter would have been the time to do it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I painted the valve covers on my R12C Avantgarde, the covers came from a R11R. I painted them black to match the blacked out engine and guess what... I used nothing else than spray paint from a rattle can, sold the bike months ago but I still see it once in a while and the paint is holding very well.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
:coolpics: That bike looks like it's in stealth mode.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think I saw those exhaust tips on my redneck neighbor's Z71 :D

It's kind of like putting rubber Taurus grip covers on your Wilson Combat 1911. Sure you CAN do it...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The plot thickens. I ordered a Parabellum scout color match to my bike.

They called back and said Unless I send a body part they can't match it. I gave them the color code when I placed the order. They said Pearl something.

I want my valve covers painted too, so maybe ....

David

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
The plot thickens. I ordered a Parabellum scout color match to my bike.

They called back and said Unless I send a body part they can't match it. I gave them the color code when I placed the order. They said Pearl something.

I want my valve covers painted too, so maybe ....

David
Just thinking about this, how about going the extra bit and also painting the vertical black plastic 'spats' on the outside lower part of the front forks.

Or - going even further!- depending on the bike's colour (and this would work best with a silver or dark grey or near-black bike) how about painting both the head covers and spats in a contrasting very bright (Ducati) red! That would really liven things up! And I'll bet there's someone out there who could do a computer-generated mock-up to show us all!

L of S

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
L of S,

I am looking for a picture of the bike with painted valve covers.

Sort of stuck on what to do.
My bike is 2012 Apple RED. Its beautiful.

All I remember is seeing a yellow R with paineted valve covers and I thought it looked sharp.

I sent HOLT BMW an email asking how much to paint the scout and valve covers. Right now its extra $200.00 to paint the scout from parabellum and $300.00 for the valve covers from Holt. I hope Holt will do all 3 parts for $400.00

David

·
Registered
31 Posts
I painted mine on my new to me 07' R. My goal was different than the OP's. I was looking for an exact match to the stock aluminum color on the covers. The PO of my bike did his share of drops with the bike and the covers showed it. I sanded out the scratches and repainted the left one.

Dupli-color makes a bunch of colors in their engine heat proof rattle can paint. Their aluminum was a perfect match to the stock head color on my R.

I know it is hard to tell in the pic, but trust me you can't tell.

Any of their colors would work and cost very little.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
While at it, why not paint the fronts of the mirrors? I had this done on an R1100R and it went well with the painted bikini screen and painted pannier covers... all matching.

L of S

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use that high temp paint at work a lot, its good stuff.

Still on the fence. I will probably wait till winter and send a body part to Parabellum. I may buy the fairing unpainted and try it. If it does what I want on the bike,the cost of painting it will be small.

The paint is red pearl. 3 layers to get the look it has. I asked a body shop if they could paint a fairing and the valve covers. They said yes they could match the paint with a color code. WM39 it what BMW says in the fitche.

David

I painted mine on my new to me 07' R. My goal was different than the OP's. I was looking for an exact match to the stock aluminum color on the covers. The PO of my bike did his share of drops with the bike and the covers showed it. I sanded out the scratches and repainted the left one.

Dupli-color makes a bunch of colors in their engine heat proof rattle can paint. Their aluminum was a perfect match to the stock head color on my R.

·
Registered
1 Posts

What color code or product did you use for the valve covers??? That’s looks nice 👍🏻 I’m looking to do the same.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
What color code or product did you use for the valve covers??? That’s looks nice 👍🏻 I’m looking to do the same.
"Rad" mentions it in his post you copied.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts