BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there just wondering if anyone has experience with the removal of pannier locks(2009 oem)
When I bought the bike it came with a set of bmw panniers. However one case was locked open with the key in the barrel. Naturally I have tried removing the key but have been unsuccessful.
I have also been unable to find any real info online regarding the removal of the cylinder.
I would love to get it resolved as at this stage I am getting by with only one other key & also have a set of panniers that are taking up garage space while providing no use....
I removed all the fasteners inside the pannier except the rivets, & the plastic bung thing which is towards the inside/top of the case.
Do I remove the bung to get access to the bottom of the barrel to loosen/remove it??
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
Cheers & safe travels to all
Zazoo

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
What panniers are we talking about, @Zazoo? You mention 2009 in the text, you’ve posted under the LC section (2015+) and you haven’t entered your bike details in your profile.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it's a 2009 r1200r.
I'm having a little difficulty navigating how to add all this stuff!

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
Cheers, Zazoo - I’d forgotten that this Accessories Forum covers pre-LC too.
It’s easy to add you bike details to your profile. Just click on your avatar at the top of the page, then select Account Settings.
Can’t help with pannier locks on your model, unfortunately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips Panzermann.
I will have a look & drop in some details.
In the brief time I have been on the site the contributors seem great while being a brilliant repository of all things bw!

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
Add your location too, so we know where to look for you. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi there just wondering if anyone has experience with the removal of pannier locks(2009 oem)
When I bought the bike it came with a set of bmw panniers. However one case was locked open with the key in the barrel. Naturally I have tried removing the key but have been unsuccessful.
I have also been unable to find any real info online regarding the removal of the cylinder.
I would love to get it resolved as at this stage I am getting by with only one other key & also have a set of panniers that are taking up garage space while providing no use....
I removed all the fasteners inside the pannier except the rivets, & the plastic bung thing which is towards the inside/top of the case.
Do I remove the bung to get access to the bottom of the barrel to loosen/remove it??
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
Cheers & safe travels to all
Zazoo
Hi Zazoo,
There are several videos on YouTube about removing and rekeying the BMW lock cylinders. If you search "BMW Motorrad lock cylinders" you will find several to watch, just pick the one that works best for you. I have rekeyed most of my pannier lock cylinders so they will turn using anything that fits in the slot (screwdriver, any key, popsicle stick, etc). Not as secure perhaps, but it still gives the appearance of being locked while being easier to live with. I don't like searching for my key when I need to get into a pannier!
Cheers!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don’t remember specifics, but I disassembled one pannier almost entirely to get the lock cylinder out. Once out, I realized with careful use of a paper clip you can get the lock cylinder out without any disassembly. This is how I removed the lock cylinder in the second pannier. You have to be able to slide a locking tab at the bottom of the lock cylinder towards center while also pulling up so the lock cylinder can slide out. Of course, this is entirely by feel as you cannot see in there. Short of finding a video, if you take apart the pannier, it will be much easier to visualize how to use the paper clip method. Just make sure to take pictures of each step so you can put it back together. Also, don’t take apart the case that holds the retracting cord. You will be very unhappy if you do!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hullo Zazoo,
I can't help you with the key in the lock in the open position...Do you mean that the key has snapped off? If the correct key is in the lock, you should be able to withdraw it. If the key is busted off I'd suggest a locksmith.
I successfully removed two key barrels from r1200r system cases, then bought one new lock (about $65 posted). Using the existing key components and the new ones (extra parts are included with the new barrel) you can use a system of trial and error to get the locks to match your ignition key. The guy on the video used a bent heavy-duty paper-clip, but it was beyond me, so I cut down a nail file using a grinder to make my own tool. Happy to post it to you if it will help (I live in Katoomba NSW OZ) - just send it back when you've finished.
- How to remove the barrel from the lock
- Assembling a keyed alike lock.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
@Zazoo I know this is an old post ... I assume you've probably tried this, but I seem to remember some set of system panniers (possibly an old RT) that prevented removing the key when it was oriented a certain way, probably to the position where you could remove it from the rack (but case lid still locked). My 2016 panniers are also like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts