BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a used R1200RS soon. I am a total newcomer to the RS and have not seen it in the flesh. From photos, the panniers look quite vulnerable to damage if the bike topples. Maybe the muffler also when panniers are not fitted.

Are pannier protection bars a common fitment to the R and RS, and are owners happy with them?

Thank you.

· Registered
327 Posts
Bars are more common on an RT but generally the heads or crash bars touch first.

Mine got some minor scratches on a tip-over. And only so after the bike rolled over after the heads (with BMW OEM guards) touched down.

BMW wisely allows some movement on where the cases attach with rubber lined mounts to cushion the blow from breaking at the mounting points.

Reactions: Selby

· Registered
789 Posts
I have only seen pannier protection bars on the RT and K1600.
On our K1200RS bikes we had the rubber protectors sold by BMW on the pannier lids.
This was a cheap and simple option that worked well for parking lot drops.

I wish BMW had the same thing for the RS and R bags.

· Retired In Beautiful Tennessee
1,781 Posts
Rhino Lining. You wouldn't be the first.

Actually considering this for my BMW cylinder head protectors - functional, unique aesthetic, good color match.

Cheers, Dave

· Registered
301 Posts
Rhino Lining.

Actually considering this for my BMW cylinder head protectors.

Cheers, Dave
Some years ago I asked a bed liner applicator about coating my R1100S bag lids. He said that the bed liner wouldn't stick to the plastic - it would pop off. He knew of no primer that would make it work.

Things might be different now. I don't like the OEM bag paint color and my bags are getting scratched. Let us know what you learn.

Reactions: dbyker

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
I found the best pannier protection in my case was to make certain they are locked to the pannier frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
I found the best pannier protection in my case was to make certain they are locked to the pannier frame.

The side case/pannier that flew off my LC I thought was due to my stupidity but it's a built-in design feature.
Good, I'm not that stupid after all...
The feature in action on my LC
Hepco & Becker demonstrate this unique feature

• Wow
Reactions: Selby and dbyker

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This does happen from time to time. I have been with two riders who have lost their pannier, and their large top box - very hard on the shiny red exterior! The latter was on a motorway. Fortunately, there were no other vehicles nearby.

Both losses were a result of failure to check secure attachment by the rider, but attachment mechanism failures can occur too I imagine.

Your pannier remained in the correct traffic lane it appears, so that's some consolation :)

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
In my case, I left the key in the H&B pannier in an unlocked position - operator error.

• Helpful
Reactions: Selby and dbyker

· Registered
938 Posts
I am picking up a used R1200RS soon. I am a total newcomer to the RS and have not seen it in the flesh. From photos, the panniers look quite vulnerable to damage if the bike topples. Maybe the muffler also when panniers are not fitted.

Are pannier protection bars a common fitment to the R and RS, and are owners happy with them?

Thank you.
I suppose there are ways to protect the cases, but most of them are pretty fugly. Considering the overall cost to replace the case (covers only), you could just think of them a multi-purpose plastic things.
You might want to consider something like adhesive-backed rubber ... Amazon.com : rubber adhesive strips for bumpers or Clear Plastic with adhesive. 3M makes stuff like that you can apply to a car bumper. google it.

I do have a set of Moto-Art valve cover protectors that I highly recommend if you want an endorsement.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Jim, my current and previous bikes have/had high gloss ($$) pannier finishes. So I come from bikes where damaging panniers was to be dreaded.
It sounds like the BMW panniers may be more robust.

· Registered
789 Posts
Thanks Jim, my current and previous bikes have/had high gloss ($$) pannier finishes. So I come from bikes where damaging panniers was to be dreaded.
The bags are very strong but if you drop the bike on concrete or blacktop the paint will probably scratch.

· Registered
789 Posts
On our K1200RS bikes we had the rubber protectors sold by BMW on the pannier lids.
This was a cheap and simple option that worked well for parking lot drops.

I wish BMW had the same thing for the RS and R bags.
Here's a picture of the rubber lid protectors BMW sold for the System Cases.
Debbie tested hers one time and there was no damage to the lid.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

· Registered
938 Posts
Regardless of their rigidity and overall resilience, if you scratch them up, it's BMW (Bring More Wallet). My FJR had a really highly refined paint job even on the panniers, so I am glad I never pooched that bike.
My RS panniers are the basic grey finish, so I reckon I could always buy new lids if they get damaged.

I might get some of that clear adhesive car bumper tape and apply it to the surfaces most likely to touch down in a slow drop.
BTW the finish on the passenger "grips" is very susceptable to scratches, even a plastic bungee hook will muck those up.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks m-r.
I had silver bars on my beautiful silver FJR. Fortunately, they were never needed in a fall and remained as shiny as the rest of the machine. I called it the 'Starship'. One sweet S-T!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

1 - 19 of 19 Posts