BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All Cool riders, I am looking for a suggestion and I hope someone might already have an answer..
for 2015 R12R whats is the best pannier option.. I already have side saddle bad mounts that came preinstalled on it..

·
Registered
54 Posts
BMW Panniers

I have the BMW fitted panniers. So far they work great, the fit is secure and tight. Due to silencer the right is slightly smaller but my jacket fits in with protectors. Whilst the left is just big enough for my Shark helmet. They are not completely waterproof though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Hello All Cool riders, I am looking for a suggestion and I hope someone might already have an answer..
for 2015 R12R whats is the best pannier option.. I already have side saddle bad mounts that came preinstalled on it..
If you intend to use your existing mounts, then you only have one option... the factory saddlebags.

What do you intend on putting in them? I really like the look of the Hepco Becker Xplorer line. It looks pretty sick. They have different sizes. It would be kind of expensive though since you would have to buy their mounting rack as well.

Reactions: dbyker

·
Registered
824 Posts
The fact that they are now not completely waterproof is totally absurd, shame on BMW!
Another member here also noted a few weeks ago that he felt they were of much lesser quality then the previous generation of panniers from BMW.
At the price they charge for these "plastic boxes" they should butter your toast in the morning for ya! And also come standard with liners to make them useful.
I have the side cases for my 2012, the quality is good, so no complaints really, but these new ones do not sound so good anymore!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hmm, still a 2 month wait to even receive mine...

I ordered the standard factory panniers, since the bike already came with the luggage grid (bought bike second hand). BMW have advised of a 2 month wait on getting them though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the BMW fitted panniers. So far they work great, the fit is secure and tight. Due to silencer the right is slightly smaller but my jacket fits in with protectors. Whilst the left is just big enough for my Shark helmet. They are not completely waterproof though.
do you know the declensions of the bags. BMW doesn't list them....thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would have to disagree that the BMW bags are not water proof. The goal is not to over pack your side cases to the point of explosion. I have a pair of RKA bags which fit the BMW cases perfectly. If you only pack these bags to the recommend capacity only you will not have a problem. This weekend on my trip back from the hill country we encountered torrential rain for approximately four hours of our ridding. BTW - Rain mode is excellent. Anyway, no leaks were found and my RKA bags were completely dry. Note: Same can be said for my BMW top case. Here is the link to the RKA site if you are interested.

R1200RS Liner Bag Page

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been doing a similar search and made a word document to compare options. BMW is expensive, but I had them and they work; working best with BMW inner bags. To my eye Shad look the best, though Shad and Givi seem to have good options for hard, aerodynamic touring cases. I have not seen the Shad mounts in the wild, but they appear to be even less conspicuous than the BMW mounts. Also, as a bonus, Shad and Givi both have much larger tail boxes than BMW.
For soft cases, I like SW-Motech. They have both fabric and semi-rigid soft cases that look nice. Personally I am used to hard boxes, so I will probably go that route in the end. Also, I think that hard aero boxes suit the aesthetic of the R better, but that is a matter of taste.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
6 Posts
Here are SW Motech Trax on my 1250. On my Suzuki Bandit 1250 I had Givi V35 on PLX racks, never an issue in 10 years. It was a toss up between givi and sw motech. I believe the givi setup is less $$$.

From a 558 mile ride yesterday around the North West part of California, made a big loop. Lots of rivers and mostly all turns.

2021_0501_08163910.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here are SW Motech Trax on my 1250. On my Suzuki Bandit 1250 I had Givi V35 on PLX racks, never an issue in 10 years. It was a toss up between givi and sw motech. I believe the givi setup is less $$$.

From a 558 mile ride yesterday around the North West part of California, made a big loop. Lots of rivers and mostly all turns.

View attachment 111303

I too have and am very happy with the SW Motech Trax.

AD251D67-F888-4FF0-AFFE-4DB20A8F8061.jpeg
BFB3E7D1-711F-475E-BEF5-608D3745B852.jpeg

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
28 Posts
Could one of you put a picture here from the backside of the bike with these panniers?
I like the looks but I am curious how tight the are mounted to the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went with Shad hard bags and inner bags, approx half price of the OEM. There is more info and pictures in several threads on the forum.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
6 Posts
Could one of you put a picture here from the backside of the bike with these panniers?
I like the looks but I am curious how tight the are mounted to the bike.
Here you go, they are on the wide side. Maybe a bit wider than the bar ends. I think Givi V35/V37 or OEM luggage would be the tightest fit. One nice thing is the mounting racks come off in a matter of seconds.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That camera angle kind of exaggerates the width.
And I leave the mounting racks on as they serve to temper the great void under the tail. (IMHO).
319FC88E-D0BD-41E3-93D6-A609DC3AFD42.jpeg

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
28 Posts
Here you go, they are on the wide side.
Thanks for the pictures!👍
For me these are to wide tough.
I have experienced that a lot of dirt from the road is thrown up from the top of the back wheel, so I was hoping that the panniers hold back a part of this.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have experienced that a lot of dirt from the road is thrown up from the top of the back wheel, so I was hoping that the panniers hold back a part of this.
One member had fashioned some filler plates for the OEM pannier cages - they looked pretty decent. Would be possible to go a step further and fashion something from ABS plate that basically enclosed the top/forward half of the wheel well.

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
28 Posts
One member had fashioned some filler plates for the OEM pannier cages - they looked pretty decent. Would be possible to go a step further and fashion something from ABS plate that basically enclosed the top/forward half of the wheel well.
Thanks, I have seen that and I agree this didn’t look too bad.
But for now I have mounted my Ilmberger hugger (which I painted black because I don’t like carbon on my bike).
This hugger is giving good protection also but I don’t like the looks.....
But the most irritating is the noise this carbon hugger produces.
I think I wait for a set of OEM used panniers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts