BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the other BMW forum, and thought of posting it here also...

Hi I live in Montreal, I plan to go visit New York City this summer with my son, on my motorcycle. Thing is, it makes me nervous to thing that I'll be heading into this dense traffic with a loaded bike with my son sitting in back.

Do I have good reasons to worry about safety in and around NYC?

Do you guys know of a way to park my ride outside the city and use the bus to reach the city?

Is there members of this forum that live near or in NYC that can give me advice?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Do I have good reasons to worry about safety in and around NYC?

Thanks!
Ohhh HELLLL YYEEESS specially taxis, they really drive like they are 1/2 blind 3/4 retarded.

The tourists, they just jump in the middle of the road to take a picture of something.

There is a parking on 43rd street between 6th and 5th avenue, which is blocks from Grand Central were you can take public transportation everywhere. That takes motorcycles, be advised that the rates are insane, not only here but every public parking you want to stay.

I live in Brooklyn, few stops on the train to Manhattan, if you think this can help, I can talk to the landlord to see if you can park next to my bike for few days. Now, I don't really know when exactly you are planing your trip but, I'm planing on moving May or June and there you'll be able to park your bike with no problems.

Good luck and have fun with your son.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohhh HELLLL YYEEESS specially taxis, they really drive like they are 1/2 blind 3/4 retarded.

The tourists, they just jump in the middle of the road to take a picture of something.

There is a parking on 43rd street between 6th and 5th avenue, which is blocks from Grand Central were you can take public transportation everywhere. That takes motorcycles, be advised that the rates are insane, not only here but every public parking you want to stay.

I live in Brooklyn, few stops on the train to Manhattan, if you think this can help, I can talk to the landlord to see if you can park next to my bike for few days. Now, I don't really know when exactly you are planing your trip but, I'm planing on moving May or June and there you'll be able to park your bike with no problems.

Good luck and have fun with your son.
Thanks for your input, I'm planning last week of June. It would be nice to park the bike for a couple of days in a safe place and forget about it while visiting NYC.. I'll keep you informed... I herd a lot of folks park there cars in Jersey and took a ferry across to visit, this could be another option, but I haven't found anything on the net to that effect...

Thanks again! Mighty nice of you

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Zblip, I have a garage space for you and some transport into the city if Hoshiko's place isnt ready or available. I live in a Westchester, a suburb of the City. I commute every day on my bike from my home to Manhattan's financial district all year round. I have parking for my bike-and yours if you wish- in the garage of my office building at a very favorable rate for the City ( less than $10 per day). imho, riding on the City's main arteries is no different than riding anywhere else; but, riding through the streets takes some knowledge of the habits of drivers and pedestrians. Were you to park at my office garage, I could route you from the north so that you would be on a street as opposed to a highway for less than three minutes. Home garage or office garage- either way, you and your son are welcome.

·
Registered
359 Posts
zblip- I believe one of the ferries is to St. George terminal on Staten Island. It goes in front of the statue of liberty and when you get to city there is access to the train but puts you in downtown Manhattan. Sounds like there are a lot of better options for you here on the forum. I've been to the city several times now but the first few times I'd recommend having someone with you or explained very well. For me once I figured out the subway system the city got a lot smaller. Good luck, I've driven through the city towing a sailboat and in my old Scion, it's not that bad. Just plan far ahead where you need to turn and be aggressive! My wife went into turtle mode when I drove in the first time. She couldn't handle it and buried her head into a pillow. In her defense, we are from a fairly small town. Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Zblip, you won't want to use your bike to get around Manhattan at all, that's what taxis, the subway and your feet are for. I used to commute into the city from Jersey on my bike and parked at the garage previously mentioned, on 43rd, between 5th and 6th. I'd still ride every day but life circumstances aren't letting me do that anymore.

My suggestions:

1) Ride your bike to the city and park it for the duration of your stay.

2) I suggest you take the long way to NYC and use all the beautiful back roads to the west of I-87 (Route 30 down through the Adirondacks to Hancock in New York is a gem) or east of I-87. It will take you a little longer but you'll have more fun.

3) There are motorcycle friendly parking lots in and out of the city. A good internet search will turn them up for you. Here's a page that at the bottom lists lots that take bikes. I parked at ParkFast in the city and they are a VERY well run operation:

Motorcycle parking in Manhattan & NYC motorcycle parking

4) Stay in the city, NYC never sleeps and you and your son will want to enjoy every minute of it. The hotel prices are always outrageous but a search will probably turn up something acceptable in your price range. My motto: all hotel rooms look the same while you sleep.

5) When you ride into the city, have your directions/map in paper form, GPS gets worthless and funky amongst the tall buildings so don't count on it to be accurate.

6) Even at rush hour, traffic, at least to me, isn't that bad or dangerous, but hey, I live here and am used to it. You certainly have to be patient and gotta pay attention. The previous commenter saying to be aggressive is oddly correct. I know you're worried about your son, as I would be. Plan to arrive and depart late morning, the traffic is usually light then, particularly at the tunnels and bridges into Manhattan.

7) If you have a smart phone, you can use google maps or one of many available apps to help you get around on the subway, which will save you a ton over cabs. If you get confused in the subway just ask somebody how to get to where you are supposed to go, despite the movies, New Yorkers are friendly and helpful. If you get lost don't worry, the trains only go two ways and the adventure is half the fun.

8) HAVE FUN!!! I bet your son will be thrilled with the trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts