BMW R1200R Forum banner

Parking on an Elevated Box

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Lawrence of Suburbia 
#1 ·
Hello,
So my first post in this forum was yesterday, but I've been legally riding motorcycles as a licensed rider since about May of 2005 and there is one thing I've been seeing happening since about August of last year and I'll be damned if I have any idea of how it's done.
Anyway, it's always roughly about a 20'x20' area where other Soldiers will park their motorcycles and it's just raised up around 4-6 inches (the height of the curb that is) that they are parking on.
What is the recommended way of doing this? I'm quite sure I hit speed bumps and traditional Hawaiian crappy road pot-holes bigger than this, but I do not want to mess up my new, not damaged yet (knock on wood) motorcycle. I want to be cool and park closer, but don't want to pay dearly for this honor.
Unfortunately I have to get here before midnight, so I don't have the luxury of seeing others DOING this parking I speak of.

Thanks,
StreetShark

#2 ·
I'd approach square-on, stop at the plinth, sit to the rear to take weight off the front and give max leg room for keeping your foot down as the bike climbs, keep the revs up while you feather the clutch gently but progressively to avoid stalling.

#3 ·
Practice this first: put the bike on the center stand, mount the bike fully with both feet on the pegs, now move the bike forward off the center stand. When you get comfortable with that "jolt" sensation, then work on getting your bike up/down the curb of the special parking area.

#4 ·
Here's a bit of lateral thinking. Cut a wedge from a piece of wood and carry it with you. When arriving at the parking spot lay it down, ride up, retrieve. If allowable/ practical (by which I mean you can have the same parking spot each time) how about laying down a semi-permanent little ramp made up from a small bag of pre-mixed rapid-set concrete mix? Just add water...

Reactions: Panzermann
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.