BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
You snapped pix of an interloper masquerading as a penguin @Panzermann … the things you see when you haven’t got a gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Panzermann

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
Day 1: Ride down for the Phillip Island SBK weekend. I had planned for a 3-day run down to the Island, but with most of the riding areas in and around the central west NSW a no-go due to the flood, I decided to due 2-days instead. It worked out better as I had to cover more distance each day which suits my touring style. Oh, the original plan was to catch up with a couple of GS mates the original plan was to catch up with a couple of GS mates along the way, but long story short, they piked it because there would be too much slab riding for their liking.

From my home base in the inner west of Sydney, I made my way to Gundagai and caught up with a couple of friends for a coffee at the newly refurbished Niagara Cafe. I was on a mission to make it to Bright for my overnight stop before dark. So my catch-up had to be quick; I managed to sneak in a quick snack before my friends arrived - a classic Aussie curried egg & lettuce sandwich on think white bread (none that fancy-pants wholemeal bread).

I managed to limit my catchup to 30 mins with a quick refuel and was back on the road, taking the back road out of town to Tumut to Tumbarumba - Burra - Tallangatta - Kancoona and on to Bight for an overnight stop taking as many less travelled routes as possible.

I managed to cover 740km for the day and got into Bright before dark. Quick shower and change, I went down to the Brewery for a beer or two and pizza .. happy days!

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
I just realised I hijack your Phillip Island thread @Panzermann Opps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
Ok, cheers PZ. Finally arrived at San Remo - seemed a longer ride than yesterday with not as many clicks.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
Day 2: The plan for the day was to have an early and take in a few roads. I hadn't been down, but it was too crisp. I decided to go for a quick stroll around the village and grab a coffee but no luck. I managed to get away around 8:00 AM. I refuelled the LC the night before and was going to knock out a few hundred km with a stop at Swifts Creek for Coffee.

From Bright, I made my way down Great Alpine Road and up the mountain to Mount Hotham Village (Ski Resort) and down the mountain to Omeo. However, before the steep and twisty (very twisty) climb up the mountain, I did a procrastination moment - I had a go-no-go moment because my trusty BMW Nav indicated the road 4ks up was closed.

The above spot is where I had my go-no-go moment, but my gut feeling was going for it.

The run-up to the top of Mount Hotham was just so good, with very little traffic coming down the mountain and nothing coming up from behind.

Here are a few random pix:

I could hear this guy coming and thought I would give him a wide berth.

I got to Swifts Creek and decided to give my coffee stop a miss and press on. However, I did have to break into my emergency rations 50km down the road.

MikeS - pop-up roadside cafe

I went to Bairnsdale-Sales and followed the coastal route into San Remo for my overnight stop. Quick check-in and unpack/shower/change of gear and catch up with the Panzer at the pub for a couple of beers and dinner.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
This is my preferred route through Gippsland, @mikeS. It’s half an hour longer than the coastal route but is more interesting and avoids the flat areas as much as practicable.
Way better PZ - thanks - that coast road section is so tedious.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
My first time at Phillip Island since the COVID restriction was lifted. I was happy to be back among the motorcycle crowd, albeit in reasonably crappy weather. I spent most of the day enjoying the sights, sounds and the great unwashed. I don’t have a running commentary about individual rides and events. I just wanted to soak up the vibe and kick back and marvel at the sheer courage of these young guns pushing the absolute limits.

I snapped a few pix around the track and had to push the limit of my trusty little Sony RX100 point-and-shoot.

A most enjoyable day out, and I can’t wait to get back to the track tomorrow.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
I just went back to my room after what I would say was one of the most interesting hotel dinners in quite some time. I’m staying in one of the Island's better resort-style hotels; BUt dinner was a real eye-opener.

I wasn’t all that hungry, so something simple was what I wanted. A small main meal, but the waitress insisted I try the chef's entree special - a classic Italian bruschetta… bruschetta, you say - looks more like road-kill. I couldn’t stand the sight of this hideous slop.

So next came the main, a vegan mushroom risotto. The main arrived, and the serving was enough for two, but it was pretty nice but a bit too much garnishing (less is more).

I should’ve quit while I was ahead but I thought one scoop of lemon sorbet would be nice. But, no, the chef
insisted on upgrading my order - on the house.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
That is what happens if you don't take helmet hair seriously and can happen to the best of us.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
Long day out on LC coming back from Philip Island World SBK weekend. Weather-wise very ordinary with wind gusts of up to 70 km/h (probably more) and in and out of showers most of the day. I planned to do the return trip in two days but in the end, decided to press on back to Sydney. The ride home was tough not physically but more mentally to keep motivated and focused and press on - All up for today's 1016km. I enjoyable 5-days away and of course, it was great to catch up with the Panzer.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
I know what you mean @Panzermann - the relentless buffeting and long hours in the saddle were tough. The only way I could deal with the long boring route was to just focus 100km at a time.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
Nice ride report @Panzermann and an impressive amount of clicks covered for the day. IMHO Andy is as hard as nails they sure breed then tough up north.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
@Panzermann, Andy was so close to bagging dinner. Nice try to hypnotise that bird with the old pointed-finger technique - another Walcha spatchcock dinner goes begging.

• Haha

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
Now that you're back home time to reflect on the more challenging aspects of the trip - the struggle, bad and uncomfortable. The easy and enjoyable parts of a motorcycle trip are what it's all about but the hard stuff is what makes one stronger and keeps the adventurous young at heart. Good on you @Panzermann.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
I recall one of my 4-day trips heading up to TEXAS (QLD) I rounded a corner just outside the village of North Star - large size gravel and so deep. No warning sign on the approach just a sign mid-corner - roadworks ahead. That certainly got the old ticker pumping.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
Quick clip - on my way to Bright NSW for the Phillip Island WSBK weekend.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
Did you get lost, @mikeS - Bright was in Victoria last time I looked, although, with all the flooding we’ve had, it could have floated anywhere by now.
You know VIC - NSW it's all the same to me one endless adventure, PZ. Thanks for spotting the deliberate mistake - good to see you're paying attention.

This was one of the detours I took on my way into BRIGHT. The gravel road was fairly flat for 9k and then about 5k of uphill tight potholed corners. Perfect road to experiment with some GoPro Settings and a couple of new mounts. I’m pleased with the cinematic footage quality even and YouTube compression codec. I’m putting together a 20-minute trip video and can’t wait to invite my wife to the first screening - I’ll be looking and patient eye-rolling and the blank but oh I’m bored with facial expressions. As an added treat I’ll stop the video at key moments and give her the full key-point backstory along the way.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
You know VIC - NSW it's all the same to me one endless road, PZ. Thanks for spotting the deliberate mistake - good to see you're paying attention.

This was one of the detours I took on my way into BRIGHT. The gravel road was fairly flat for 9k and then about 5k of uphill tight potholed corners. Perfect road to experiment with some GoPro Settings and a couple of new mounts. I’m pleased with the cinematic footage quality even and YouTube compression codec. I’m putting together a 20-minute trip video and can’t wait to invite my wife to the first screening - I’ll be looking and patient eye-rolling and the blank but oh I’m bored with facial expressions. As an added treat I’ll stop the video at key moments and give her the full key-point backstory along the way.
Oh, forgot, the video footage of the run-up to Mount Hotham looks fantastic and much better than expected.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
I have my accommodation booked for Phillip Island February SBK weekend and hopefully better weather this time around but whatever the weather brings I'll be there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts